Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m dxcc ......
CT members Map Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
CT members Map Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» First dx in 40 plus years
CT members Map Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» Multimode mobile antenna
CT members Map Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
CT members Map Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
CT members Map Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
CT members Map Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
CT members Map Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
CT members Map Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
display list ALINCO president frequency power meter 6900 anytone sign antenna chart Mckinley 2022 9900 yaesu Sirio lincoln supply ss9900 software Baofeng callsign call Mobile 2023
QRZ Database

CT members Map

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
Uncle P
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Uncle P
Uncle P

Call Sign : 26-CT-4640
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Prescot, Merseyside
Equipment Used : Little boxes wi' knobs on and big metal stick thingy

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2022 11:06 pm

Good evening all.

I noticed on the Thunderpole website they have a CB Users map where people can add themselves. Its a good way to see how popular the hobby is in your area amongst others. I've added myself to the said map and set a link up on my browser to my own map to log all my contacts (of which there are none atm). It goes without saying that only a rough idea of your location should be logged on these public maps for obvious security reasons. Do we have a similar set up on this forum? If not then would there be enough interest to include one so people can add themselves if they so wish. Thunderpoles is done with Googles "My Maps". 

73's 

Paul

Victor and RichAkkaa like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 6:48 am

Interesting idea there.
No idea how it would be done but the site admin will see this and maybe think about it.

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 8:13 am

Hi Paul,

I've seen the map you make mention of but unfortunately the reality of such a 'resource' is quite another thing.

Theirs relies on people entering their details on it in the first place and then you have no idea whether any of them have remained active within the radio interest. You'd be surprised at how many people take up the radio hobby and then give it all up.

For example on this forum you'll see the same dozen or so faces/names pop up despite the thousands of call signs issued over the years. We get flurries of new members who are very enthusiastic to start with and then slowly disappear after a while. The lockdown period saw a huge resurgence of hobby interests including radio but where are they all now?

OK forums are not everyone's "thing" and I do hear a lot of CT call signs shouted over the air but usually the same group of people and those who took their interests further so DX'ing on SSB.

So yes, it could be done from the call sign database (for those that actually entered their details or were truthful in the first place) but it won't tell you who is actually active on air.

The best way to do that is for people to get on air themselves and be actually transmitting rather than just listening.

It's the same with Amateur Radio Paul, apparently there's quite a few Hams in my 'square' but you only ever hear a handful of them on air. Then again with Ham radio they could be busying themselves on digital modes etc. or the multitude of frequencies on the bands they have access to.....some even do CW/Morse only. Wink

Just a shame that the many Foundation M7 licence holders that came on air over the last couple of years seemed to have all but  disappeared often with woes of expensive equipment and in some cases proclamation of being 'bored'. (??????  Rolling Eyes )

I often think with CB radio there's a rose-tinted view of 19-clickety-click with the channels being full of activity. Depending on where you live the reality is quite different.

I also remember a 'google' map that used to show 'nets' around the UK, yet often those activities had disappeared despite still being shown on the map.

Never let it put you off though, the radio hobby is usually a long haul, long time interest thing and it's always nice to become one of the 'regulars' by doing just that. CT members Map 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

StevieG and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Uncle P
Uncle P

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 4:15 pm

Good point Victor. I suppose it would be just a list of dead links in the end, but hey it give me something to write about Smile
Appears to be a lot of people south of the divide on the air if you go by youtube. I was just hoping it may have been like that up here but sadly no. Then again it may just be the noise issue I'm trying to sort out. I listen to 11m on G0XBU WebSDR Jodrell SERVER 1, UK quite often and that only appears to have a small group of people on there. I use that for my test shout but never yet heard myself. Not even a slight smudge on the waterfall Sad Suppose i am asking a lot really from a cheap Sigma mobile whip on a tin bin in the attic. (edit) Just checked the distance 39 kilometres. Definately dreaming Laughing   If this rain stops I may try an inverted V on my fishing pole later. See if that gets any results.

As for people just listening, I'm afraid I am one of them at the moment. Finding myself a little mic shy. I'm the same when I'm in game online. I tend to shy away from folk. I do put out calls on 19 for the old roger (and never yet had a reply) but I back off when I come across a conversation. Its been a long time since I've been that "breaker on the side". I had the same problem when I tried network radio a few years back. Not letting it beat me this time though. Problem is you can't shut me up once I start Laughing

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 4:45 pm

No worries at all there Paul and always enjoy a good posting so thank you. CT members Map 1f44d

You'll get around your mic shyness for sure just give it a bit of time. Pain that you haven't had any contacts yet but as you say your antenna isn't up to much and operators are much further apart than they were in days of old.

The G0XBU websdr is a good one but sometimes the language you hear as well as the arguing is atrocious on 11m akin to how it all became before putting many off and killing CB activity. (I can't be doing with that nonsense.) Always good to have a listen to SSB activity on there but that's only when conditions allow unfortunately.

Many here including myself were left a little disappointed with the CB activity in some areas. Don't get me wrong in the right places it does rather well along with PMR interests and the like but for myself I was left a little 'meh'.

That's why I decided to get myself finally licenced for Ham radio and have never looked back since. There's always something going on the many Amateur bands and frequencies available with multiple interests and activities. I never once thought I'd make a radio contact to Japan but did manage the States many moon back on CB yet it all seems so commonplace on some of the Ham bands now.

That 10 Watt Foundation can serve rather well often managing contact into Continental Europe without a second thought whereas burning 100 Watt 'boots' just to chat to a mate up-the-road on CB seems a bit daft afterwards.

I think you did express an interest in taking your Foundation and would wholly recommend it if your radio interest are to be encouraged.

Anyway, good posting and great to have a forum 'chat'.

73's to ya!
Victor

Uncle P likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 6:35 pm

Interesting idea Uncle P - always good to throw a new idea in the ring and see if it would work or not.

Victor and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 pm

Hi Paul,

Just for info we did have a Google maps version of what you describe which was kindly put together by Delboy (if memory serves me right) it was focused around active C.T. members and constructed using net logs reported on the forum. Over time it sadly fizzled out.

I would just like to add that working conditions are everything on 11 meters these days and any kind of indoor antenna is going to be a huge compromise.

I've said many times in the past that a half wave vertical outside mounted as high as possible is the way to go. Sure you'll get people tell you about successes they've had with inverted V's in the loft and quarter wave radials from a mag mount but with stations being spread much further apart now you'll be at a big disadvantage.

I would echo Victor's comments about doing your ham ticket I spend the majority of my time on 20 & 40 meters where there are world wide DX opportunities every day. You also have 2 meters and 70cm for more local comms and repeater activity.

Things have definitely changed but radio is far from dead if you broaden your horizons and invest in the best possible station you can possibly have.

Best of luck 73's Gary.

C.T. Admin

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Uncle P
Uncle P

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 12:25 pm

Hi Gary

I always knew the antenna in the attic setup was never gonna cut it but I never realised how poor it was gonna be. SWR right down to 1.0 too, from top to bottom, thanks to the help of a nano vna. That little baby saved me a hell of a lot of leg work. Alas a wasted effort. I just have to face it I'm gonna have to head into the jungle, which is my back garden, and clear a path to that which I see sticking out of it. A nice big scaffy pole stuck in concrete. I think it clears the ground about 23-25 feet as it stands (or I think it is. To be honest I've never measured it)  but I have a few 6' steel poles I can add to it if need be. It's sturdy enough. It's been planted there for years.  

I am planning on taking my Foundation, hopefully in the not too distant future. I tried a mock test online recently and just passed by 1 question. So I've started to do a bit of revision. My problem is I'm a slow learner. I don't take stuff on board to well. Attention tends to drift when I study. And when I do take stuff in I have trouble recalling it. I've always been like that. I tend to shy away from stuff that stresses me too. Exams stress me and that's why I never done my ticket. 

I'm not saying radios dead in general, just around my QTH. I may be wrong. Hopefully when that bag of noise is taken off my head I may be pleasantly surprised. I don't think it will ever be dead. It just fluctuates like the solar cycles. Actually WITH the solar cycles Laughing I'm praying that I'm gonna be proven wrong when I get the antenna outside, high and proud...... then just wait for all the complaints of interference before Ive even keyed up Shocked

Pity about Delboys Map. Hopefully one day he may be able to resurrect it.

Have a great day all

73's

Last edited by Uncle P on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Quote :

My problem is I'm a slow learner. I don't take stuff on board to well. Attention tends to drift when I study. And when I do take stuff in I have trouble recalling it. I've always been like that. I tend to shy away from stuff that stresses me too. Exams stress me and that's why I never done my ticket. 

73's
Who does that remind you of Victor lol.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi Gareth,
Uncle P wrote:
I am planning on taking my Foundation, hopefully in the not too distant future. I tried a mock test online recently and just passed by 1 question. So I've started to do a bit of revision. My problem is I'm a slow learner. I don't take stuff on board to well. Attention tends to drift when I study. And when I do take stuff in I have trouble recalling it.
That is almost a mirror of me. Smile 
But I backed out of trying to get the old grey matter to absorb any more than I had picked up over the years plus about two weeks of revision.
I booked online course on 10th Auig which was due to start on 4th Sep, but by the 23 Aug the thought of cramming any more into grey cells began to concern me so I bit the bullet. I cancelled the course and booked the exam on the 23rd which was booked for the 5th Sept, I passed (only just) and was over the moon and I received my certificate on the 10th.

The last couple of weeks has been a steep learning curve but I am enjoying it, even on my 11m silver rod 40M and 20M are booming in from all over UK, Europe the States etc., My ATU won't won't tune to those bands so the next for me is to buy/build an antenna.

IMHO if you passed the mock then why not splash out and spend £27.50 and go for it, I'm sure glad I did.

All the very best whichever way you go,
Tony

Victor, Uncle P and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
Uncle P
Uncle P

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 4:41 pm

Gareth... now there's a fine Welsh name. I think it would go well with my surname to be honest, especially as my grandfather on my dads side was from Wrexham. No I'm afraid my name is just plain boring old Paul Laughing but hey no worries Tony. A change is as good as a rest as they say. 

Congratulations on passing your Foundation my friend. Hopefully I wont be far behind you. I will take the plunge eventually. I have no choice because the brother in law is always on my back to get it done. One day I'll wake up and out of the blue book the exam. That's just the way I am. The seed is well and truly planted. Its the ground its in is just a little arid and its taking time to shoot. 

You have a great day

73's 

Paul

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Embarassed So sorry Paul, what chance do I have with callsigns? Rolling Eyes 
Thanks for your congrats and I hope your arid ground soon bares fruit.

Tony

Victor and Uncle P like this post

Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
Sponsored content

CT members Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: CT members Map   CT members Map Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CT members Map
Page 1 of 1