Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeToday at 8:00 am by SangueG

» First homebase (Issued)
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeToday at 4:24 am by Victor

» Tank whip for homebase
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
ss9900 call anytone supply meter ALINCO software Baofeng callsign 9900 list Mckinley lincoln frequency antenna display chart Mobile 6900 president Sirio power 2023 yaesu 2022 sign
QRZ Database

Cheap QRM Eliminator

Go down 
+2
Tonyvic
13oots2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

Cheap QRM Eliminator Empty
PostSubject: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 8:32 am

Have just bought a cheap QRM eliminator in the hope of clearing some of my S7 of noise, it should be here in a couple of days. I figured it would be worth a punt at £45 delivered, will report back when it arrives.
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2022 2:16 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Mark! Smile 
I tried just about everything to get rid of the S7-S9 I was getting including getting a second 1/2 wave silver rod and mounting it on a pole as far away from houses as I could with my SS6900N. Although I didn't purchase a QRM eliminator but went to the next step by getting a HF radio, and that did it for me and only a few hundred quid lighter in the bank. Sad

Good luck with the licence.

Tony
Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2022 8:56 am

The eliminator arrived yesterday and am very impressed, noise levels are down to S3-S4. The only problem I have is how to attach the PTT to my SS9900, for now have ordered a push to make switch that I will have to activate each time I key the mic,

Does anyone know how I can make a permanent solution for the PTT?
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2022 7:14 pm

Am quite proud of myself, I have a Zetagi pre amp and was able to work out which was the ground going to the relay. Have temporarily soldered the ground wire from the eliminator to check it is working.
Now I need to drill a hole in the pre amps case and secure the wire, then the job is a good un.
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2022 10:46 pm

Good result Mark, I have never tried a pre-amp as I read in loads of places that it will bring in more noise as well as wanted signals.
I hope you can now enjoy the radio and get lots of copies (QSO's)

Tony Smile
Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2022 9:49 pm

Well, I now know why it was so cheap. Fired up transmit on USB and my SWR warning came on, the eliminator is now stuck in transmit mode. It's supposed to be rated for 100W yet keeled over with about half that. I guess I'll be saving up for a Wimo one, it's a £160, so I hope it will last better than the cheapo Chinese one.

I wound a choke out of my coax and that has helped a little, but am still around six pound of noise on FM without the eliminator.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2022 6:01 am

What is it like without the preamp.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2022 7:02 am

The pre amp is variable from -10 to +30, I have it set on 0, so no gain.
Back to top Go down
ajlloyd80
ajlloyd80

Call Sign : 163-CT-334
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Bridgend.
Equipment Used : Baofeng uv-5r, SS6900n

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2022 11:24 pm

I was getting s7 of noise and worked out it was the downstairs tv! Turn it off and it’s fine 🤦🏻‍�🤣
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2022 6:52 pm

13oots2 wrote:
I wound a choke out of my coax and that has helped a little, but am still around six pound of noise on FM without the eliminator.

That suggests the cause of your noise is common mode RFI which is usually caused by a lack of a decent RF ground so the antenna system uses the coax. A RF choke at the antenna end of the coax may reduce it significantly.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 am

Northern Crusader wrote:
13oots2 wrote:

That suggests the cause of your noise is common mode RFI which is usually caused by a lack of a decent RF ground so the antenna system uses the coax. A RF choke at the antenna end of the coax may reduce it significantly.

The choke is wound about 3 inches from the antenna, even with my noise levels am getting the Italians coming in well and a chap from Romania on a couple of days. Have still to make a contact with anyone, but am sure I will get there in the end.

Have been eying up the MFJ-1026 rather than the Wimo, it costs a lot more and seems far more versatile, it is possible I could afford it this side of Chrimbo.
Back to top Go down
TG064
TG064

Call Sign : 26-CT-4525 / M7CVK.
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Io91BI Nr Pewsey Wiltshire
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, Yaesu FT818nd T600 MP1 super antenna , Yaesu Ft65, Wouxun Kguv8g Icom 290e Diamond 770, 3 element yagi

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 1:10 pm

Have an xphase QRM elimination I like you have no separate PTT control but added a switch into the microphone on my SS9900 M9 mic, when you press the PTT it goes to earth thus cutting out the RX circuit on the eliminator, it works but still have QRM issues here. I have a new  to me second hand antenna ready waiting to be  replace my Serio Venom 1/2 wave this I am hoping will help being able to beam the Maco 2 element delta loop away from the source.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2022 3:30 pm

Have just ordered a cheap car battery and charger, I don't think that any of my electrical goods are causing the QRM, you never really know until you test it.

Turns out my QRM eliminator is working, it is just the TX LED that is stuck on, I also had a dodgy patch lead that was giving the high SWR. I decided not to go with anew expensive QRM eliminator, as most seem to have pretty much the same innards as the much cheaper Chinese ones. As a back-up I have bought one directly from China that has a built in PTT circuit, £43 delivered which isn't too bad, it should arrive around new year.

TG064 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap QRM Eliminator   Cheap QRM Eliminator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap QRM Eliminator
Page 1 of 1