Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
sign chart supply anytone Mobile software display meter ss9900 lincoln call Baofeng 2023 9900 yaesu president power Sirio 6900 frequency Mckinley ALINCO antenna 2022 list callsign
QRZ Database

Car/leisure battery

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

Car/leisure battery Empty
PostSubject: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2022 9:58 am

After picking some brains here.
I have recently fitted a 12v diesel heater to warm my shack/sauna.
Anybody running from a car battery on here.
What do you do regarding charging them.
I was thinking of putting my intelligent smart ? charger on it.
Would it be ok to run the charger at the same time as using it to power a device.
I say device as it would also double up as a backup for radio if we get a power cut.
I understand it could be noise for radio.
Just the charging side of it as i know i will forget to turn it on and end up with no heating and radio in a power cut.
Charger is 12amp heater draws 9amp on start-up then down to under 1amp after 5 minutes or so. 
Any ideas would be handy.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2022 6:45 pm

Alan pilot,I use a 100 amp Leisure battery for mobile dx and they are a slow discharge and last a long time even when running my radio which draws 10 amp and something else that draws 10 amp too..lol
So maybe 5 hours flat out but they advise not to let the battery go any lower then 12.2volts.I just check it after returning home with a multimeter and charge when necessary and I do like a natter on the bands too.I charge it up with a smart charger at home because they do make one hell of a noise,Plugged in at home my QTH setup gets S6 right across the bands from that cheap Chinese smart charger,You can get chargers for these that are constantly left connected to the leisure battery as if it was being used on a boat or caravan but my knowledge on these is sadly none.I’m sure someone on the forum will point you in the right direction about that.
I hope that was if some little help.
Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2022 6:46 pm

Alan pilot,I use a 100 amp Leisure battery for mobile dx and they are a slow discharge and last a long time even when running my radio which draws 10 amp and something else that draws 10 amp too..lol
So maybe 5 hours flat out but they advise not to let the battery go any lower then 12.2volts.I just check it after returning home with a multimeter and charge when necessary and I do like a natter on the bands too.I charge it up with a smart charger at home because they do make one hell of a noise,Plugged in at home my QTH setup gets S6 right across the bands from that cheap Chinese smart charger,You can get chargers for these that are constantly left connected to the leisure battery as if it was being used on a boat or caravan but my knowledge on these is sadly none.I’m sure someone on the forum will point you in the right direction about that.
I hope that was of some help.
Tom.
26CT4029
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2022 7:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Tom.
It is a 120amp battery and the charger is a Ctek expensive one that can be left on for months.
It's just can i use the battery and charge it at the same time running my diesel heater.
If i get a power cut and run radio then it won't be charging lol.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 8:12 am

Just bought a battery and el-cheapo charger to test if I am causing my 7 pound of noise, I too am interested if it is possible to use the charger at the same time. With the possibility of power outages this Winter, at least I will be able to be on air for a while.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 9:07 am

Thanks for the reply Mark.
Battery is arriving today and i have another cheep so called smart/intelligent charger so i might just try it and see what happens.
Main use is for this diesel heater i have just fitted so if it pops i can't see it doing anything to the heater.
Think this charger is a 12amp heater draws 9amp at start-ups for a very short time so hopefully it will be ok.
Will report back later with the result.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 4:44 am

Strangely enough, was chatting to a friend yesterday, he was telling me about his amazing new diesel heater that can run on old oil etc. I live opposite a chippy and suggested buying the old cooking oil, he says the blurb says it should run on it just fine, he is now looking for old cooking oil to test it out.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2022 6:10 am

It will run on old chip oil but not for long.
The burner in them is a strange thing a small slotted disc type thing and a bit of steel gauze.
Burning that stuff will gum up in there and stop it from firing up again.
I use kerosene bought from my local oil suppliers £1ltr and after playing and tuning it a bit i have used about 10ltr in 2 weeks now and very happy with it.
I go back in the house to cool down every so often lol.

Battery is still not connecter but will be soon but for now i run it of my Palstar 60amp psu that the radios are connected to and they don't fight lol.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2022 4:35 pm

Had my battery and cheap charger arrive yesterday, am, if you excuse the pun, currently charging. The charger must kick out a fair bit of noise as I can hear it fizzle over my balanced headphones, not a good sign.

Will switch off the main breaker tomorrow when it is light to see if I can drop my noise even further than with a cheap Chinese QRM eliminator. I don't hold out much hope that my flat is the cause of the noise, at least this way I can rule out it being the source.

I also treated myself to the MFJ 1026 QRM eliminator to see if it is any better than a cheap Chinese one. That should arrive before New Year, will do a mini write-up when I have tested it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car/leisure battery   Car/leisure battery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Car/leisure battery
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-
Jump to: