Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
ALINCO frequency 2023 chart Mckinley yaesu antenna display 6900 meter 9900 supply software power president callsign Mobile Baofeng lincoln call Sirio ss9900 sign anytone 2022 list
QRZ Database

Abbree Walkie talkies. ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gmham

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Fife Scotland
Equipment Used : CRT ss 7900 / Sirio 2016

Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Empty
PostSubject: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 11:54 am

Keep seeing adverts for the Abbree range of vhf/uhf Walkie talkies and must admit they look great and am sure would work well on 446 !! Anyone here owned one / tried one ? Some even advertise as having speech scrambling with freq hopping . Not sure a radio at this price would have true freq hoping and they have been known to fib with quotes of 20 watt output powers from a handie but interesting all the same !!

Mavic2Pro likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 2:52 pm

Abbree, Baofeng, Fujian, Jiangmen, Leixen, Retevis, Shenzhen, Socotran, Quanzhou, Xiamen, Zhuhai....I've lost count! Wink

Cheap Chinese fun however you look at it. Abbree Walkie talkies. ? 1f44d
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
gmham

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2023 2:19 pm

Victor wrote:
Abbree, Baofeng, Fujian, Jiangmen, Leixen, Retevis, Shenzhen, Socotran, Quanzhou, Xiamen, Zhuhai....I've lost count! Wink

Cheap Chinese fun however you look at it. Abbree Walkie talkies. ? 1f44d

Yep very true can’t ever have too many of them at these prices !!
Just wondered if anyone had infact had a play around with the scrambler / freq hop function ?

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2023 3:11 pm

There seems to be a few videos online showing the voice 'scrambling' function (vocoder/inversion?) but I'm unsure of the 'frequency hopping' facilities. That was only after a quick search never having looked before.

I would have thought that frequency hopping functionality would be a pain (and maybe illegal?) on PMR (Public Mobile Radio) frequencies or even business use due to strict channel allocation, but who knows. (Maybe someone involved in 'Security' services or 'Business' radio would know?)

My main interest is in the fact that these cheap Chinese radios provide a lot of affordable fun for Radio Amateurs covering the 2m and 70cm bands. With the amateur radio services you are not allowed to use encryption for privacy purposes :-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/62991/amateur-terms.pdf

11(2)(b) - Messages sent from the station shall not be encrypted for the purposes of rendering the Message unintelligible to other radio spectrum users.

I would have likely thought similar legalities would be imposed on any other 'public' radio service such as PMR and CB.

The forum seems a bit quiet at the moment but hopefully someone else may have some input to this.

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
gmham

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2023 5:49 pm

Okay thanks yep appreciate the poss legalities of such a system in the U.K. was just a bit intrigued by it all especially at that price. !!
Back to top Go down
Alex728

Call Sign : 26-CT-4849
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Ipswich, Suffolk
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV5R / 888S / 88E, POCSAG pager TX, various Realistic/Uniden Bearcat scanners, RTL-SDR,XHDATA D-808

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 7:42 pm

Victor wrote:
There seems to be a few videos online showing the voice 'scrambling' function (vocoder/inversion?) but I'm unsure of the 'frequency hopping' facilities. That was only after a quick search never having looked before.

I would have thought that frequency hopping functionality would be a pain (and maybe illegal?) on PMR (Public Mobile Radio) frequencies or even business use due to strict channel allocation, but who knows. (Maybe someone involved in 'Security' services or 'Business' radio would know?)

I had a look at my Ofcom Business Radio licences and the relevant CEPT specifications for approved kit - whilst frequency hopping is going to be verboten as there are a limited amount of allocated channels so it would cause interference, nothing really prevents encryption being used on business PMR on either analogue or digital radio schemes (although in your licence you agree to hand over the content of any messages on request "an authorised officer of His Majesty's Government!" 

I would be surprised if any of the lower priced Chinese radios had anything other than basic analogue voice inversion. Whilst with todays technology it probably wouldn't be that hard to implement rolling code inversion (similar to MASC that the Police sometimes used in the 1990s), it has a range hit (QRM that prevents a code change being transmitted results in a garbled message) and its obsoleted by digital encryption (available on many business radios, albeit at a price!) or the use of encrypted messaging/voice apps on standard mobile phones.

That said, these radios do get used by the uniformed services in many Asian countries, I recently saw a picture of an officer of the Royal Thai Air Force who had one on his jacket, he had just rescued a French tourist couple who had gone exploring in the jungle and got bit by a crocodile (the lass had been taking a selfie, and somehow accidentally sat on a small croc). There is now a sign there in French (and Chinese!) warning tourists not to sit on the crocodiles.
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 8:35 pm

Alex728 wrote:
Victor wrote:

That said, these radios do get used by the uniformed services in many Asian countries, I recently saw a picture of an officer of the Royal Thai Air Force who had one on his jacket, he had just rescued a French tourist couple who had gone exploring in the jungle and got bit by a crocodile (the lass had been taking a selfie, and somehow accidentally sat on a small croc). There is now a sign there in French (and Chinese!) warning tourists not to sit on the crocodiles.

It puts a whole new meaning to taking a holiday snap Shocked

Alex728 likes this post

Back to top Go down
gmham

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2023 11:11 pm

Thanks guys after a bit more research on these particular Walkie talkies it would appear that the so called freq hoping feature is in fact just a feature that if you press the feature on one radio the other radio will obviously if within range automatically switch to the same channel as the original radio.

Certainly not freq hoping in true sense !! But guess at the low price it was a bit too much to expect full true freq hop !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abbree Walkie talkies. ?   Abbree Walkie talkies. ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Abbree Walkie talkies. ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: PMR446, DMR, LPD Radios-
Jump to: