Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request (Issued)
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:50 pm by AMM

» Call-sign Request (Issued)
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:50 pm by GolfAlphaZulu

» New Call Sign pls!
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Roydon

» 11m conditions
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:37 pm by John123

» New shack in operation.
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:35 pm by John123

» Minor application (Issued)
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:29 pm by John123

» HF Contacts 10m
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:10 pm by VanRougeT4

» *9th Anniversary South Coast PMR 446 Network - 9/9/2024*
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:06 am by Razz229

» When your daughter thinks she knows you...
antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:07 am by 43CT016

Keywords
2022 callsign 2024 ss9900 president ALINCO Baofeng 2023 software list 6900 yaesu sign chart 2011 9900 display frequency power lincoln antenna Mckinley call meter Sirio anytone
QRZ Database

antron a99 fail

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
steve1uk
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4793
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : DURHAM
Equipment Used : CRE 8900

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 4:20 pm

so had my antron a99 installed a few days now and im not getting really far with it, i do live in a bit of a dip so probably the area. so going take it down and just go mobile with my mag mount for the time been, really disappointed as ive spent a canny few quid to get a base staion set up

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 367
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 5:37 pm

A whole few days? Wink

Sorry Steve, don't mean to sound facetious but that's hardly a test of an antenna or prevailing radio conditions. With the radio interest it's usually about the long haul.

We had a dead spot in the radio spectrum for a couple of days over the end of last week/weekend due to a solar event but it bounced back lively as anything and there's even a bit of action going on the free-band frequencies right now. (Surrounding 27.555MHz as of 29/03/23 17:20 hrs) Great stuff for the DX interest.

(Check out the countries people got on the Charlie Tango 11m Challenge :- https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t4727-11m-winter-challenge. Inspirational stuff right there.)

If you mean local 'chat' either on the UK band or even CEPT Euro frequencies then that might be a bit more lacklustre depending on activity in your area. In some areas CB is thriving but in others too many shout out for a few days reinvigorated by the likes of 'Fred-In-The-Shed' and then give it up as quick as they took it up unfortunately.

As for being in a 'dip' you're not actually much different from my own location in Bedfordshire and I pick up radio chatter no problem even with my 'lawnmower lead' antenna in my loft.

Durham topographic map :-

https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/map-mr2f3/City-of-Durham/?center=54.47961%2C-1.40625&zoom=8

The summer is when the skip really comes rolling in and we're ramping up a solar cycle so it should be pretty good if last summer was anything to go by. Might be worth waiting for those events before giving it up totally. Also worth shouting out regularly on a set of frequencies (Channel 19, UK & Euro as well as free-band frequencies) as quite often people listen for radio chatter but if everyone is 'listening' it seems like no one is there!

I wish you well with your mobile aspirations because at least you can get to high ground and maybe even closer to where there is some CB action.

Most things nowadays tend to be 'on-demand' with an instant gratification sense of satisfaction but radio doesn't really work out that way. Even on Ham frequencies you're at the virtue of propagation conditions or Mother Nature and she can be a fickle bitch at times. FT8/FT4 digital modes tend to fill in that void. (Seems you can make a contact with those modes at any time...something I enjoy myself.)

As for spending a few quid it's the same for any hobby interest really.

Don't feel too despondent, (easier said than done I know), and see how you go. Your mobile radio ventures may bear fruit and you'll soon feel reinvigorated again.

It's not 19-clickety-click anymore where you could pick up a mic and shout "19 for a Roger" at almost any time and be guaranteed an answer unfortunately. We also don't have too many of the "Bedroom DJ's" or the "bucket-mouth" brigade that used to hang out on CB either thank God! Wink

If all the operators who we've handed out call signs to over the years were on air right now I'm sure the airwaves would be bristling with activity.

All the best,
Victor

Alan Pilot, Tristar and Banno like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 8:28 pm

quite right there Victor perseverance is the word and just like you say all hobbies cost money and i wouldn't really like to know how much i have spent on bikes over the years it would probably bring me out in a cold sweat  pale

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 am

steve1uk wrote:
so had my antron a99 installed a few days now and im not getting really far with it, i do live in a bit of a dip so probably the area. so going take it down and just go mobile with my mag mount for the time been, really disappointed as ive spent a canny few quid to get a base staion set up

Why take it down?

You've invested money in it, leave it up, give it time, have a shout out as well as a listen.
Some people come on at different times. If everyone switched on, heard nothing, switched off and packed up there'd be no one on.

I came back on last year and was lucky to get a contact early on.
Just shouting 1-9 a Rodger.

I was away at my coastal retreat lol, and after one contact,  a week or so later it snowballed from there. 
Not a lot on but a few to get a decent chat now and then.
I've even met a few decent blokes I'd never have done otherwise.

Funny enough there are more people on air around my qth but I haven't been on air here much mainly because I haven't yet set up a homebase antenna.
But I remember last year breaking into a conversation just to say hello and exchange signal reports whilst mobile. After saying 73's and before I flicked channels I heard one person comment "nice one, another new breaker on air".

Have you had contacts mobile ?
If you have, ask them when they are usually on and that you want to try to contact them from your homebase.
Ask or search for any local nets times.etc.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 81
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 8:01 am

Don't give up yet Steve! Sporadic E season will soon be upon us and that opens European contacts sometimes as strong as if they were living next door to you, plus also sometimes some very short skip enabling you to talk all over the UK. Even if, after some time, you find there is no one very local to you to talk to, the ionosphere will be your friend and you will get some QSOs. Stick it out! Smile

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 8:36 am

I always say, I will never give up, I will not be beaten.
I even failed my parachute jump Twice lol!
Back to top Go down
steve1uk
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4793
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : DURHAM
Equipment Used : CRE 8900

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 30, 2023 10:33 am

yeah i understand what you are all saying, but im hardly getting local contacts under 5 mile and know there on there cb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

antron a99 fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: antron a99 fail   antron a99 fail Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

antron a99 fail
Page 1 of 1