Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Greetings from Fife, New call sign request (Issued)
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeToday at 3:42 pm by Jazzscot

» Intruduction & call sign request (Issued)
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by GaryWilson

» New call sign request (Issued)
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeToday at 3:14 pm by GaryWilson

» 11m conditions
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeToday at 7:46 am by SangueG

» HF Contacts 15m
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

Keywords
power lincoln display yaesu 2022 ALINCO 9900 callsign president 2023 anytone software supply Baofeng Mckinley Mobile antenna meter call frequency Sirio list 6900 sign chart ss9900
QRZ Database

Mobile mounts - Quality decline.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaz

Call Sign : 26-CT-4845
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Shalfleet, Isle of Wight.
Equipment Used : Too many to list, mainly President Madison and CRT 9900

Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Empty
PostSubject: Mobile mounts - Quality decline.   Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2023 7:14 pm

Hi all.
I just wanted mention something I've noticed since coming back to radio over the past 6 months or so.
I've fitted hundreds of mobile mounts over my years on air and I seem to remember DV bases, whether it be traditional or 3/8 threaded, always fitted without problems and were solid in build. 
I've recently fitted a newly purchased DV 3/8 stud to the roof of my car, to my horror, as the retaining nut tightened, it pulled the threaded part out of the mount, then just turned in the mount making for a very tricky removal without damaging the car roof. 
I hadn't even got a ratchet on it, just doing it up by hand with a socket. 
I then decided to order a large washer 3/8 stud mount, almost the same happened there too where it pulled the centre pin of the SO239 socket up through the mount. Not wanting to leave an open hole in the roof I searched my old radio bits and pieces to find a very old stud mount and it was immediately clear that the old one was immensely better quality. Needless to say I used the bottom half of the old one and achieved a successful install.

Has anybody else had quality issues like this with the newer hardware? I'm still not 100% happy with it so I've now ordered a genuine Sirio SO239 body mount and genuine matching SO239 - 3/8 adapter cap as SO239 by their construction are inherently stronger. Added bonus of being able to use my SO239 amateur aerials too when required. 

Maybe I just got very unlucky... Twice in a row. 
Anyway, the weather is amazing, the Sporadic E is popping up all over the place, have a drink in the sunshine with me!

73s. Gaz

trik likes this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mobile mounts - Quality decline.   Mobile - Mobile mounts - Quality decline. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2023 7:39 pm

I've noticed the same problem that a couple of my friends had, so i decided to go with a magnet mount antenna, the Wilson 1000 works great and you don't have to worry about a hole in the roof of your vehicle. 
Back to top Go down

Mobile mounts - Quality decline.
Page 1 of 1