Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 7:46 am by SangueG

» HF Contacts 15m
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» New call sign request
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:41 pm by spod

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:40 pm by John123

Keywords
Sirio lincoln chart antenna list president 9900 callsign Mobile anytone 2022 ALINCO sign meter call ss9900 display power supply frequency yaesu Mckinley 2023 Baofeng 6900 software
QRZ Database

"Skyloop" Antenna

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Empty
PostSubject: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 9:54 am

Hi All,

Hope you're keeping well and enjoying your radio. antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna 1f44d 

Is anyone here running or has run a full wave horizontal loop for HF?

I can read a ton about theory etc. but wanted to know if anyone can put some personal experience to it all.

My current zig-zag doublet (lawnmower lead!) in the loft has been about the best I've managed to achieve so far in a half decent performance level but still feel it might be lacking somewhat. (Most antennas can be a 'compromise' no matter how you look at it! Wink )

I've had a measure up of my property and should be able to squeeze in a 40m loop at least 7m high and would want to ladder-line feed it for multi-band capability. (My homebrew ATU should handle it all.) This should give me decent performance NVIS wise for 40m and hopefully fire more to the horizon as I go up the bands.

I'll probably go down that route anyway as the neighbours have become accustomed to my various bits of wire slung up over the last few months with some not even noticing (thank God) but I've yet to find a solution that improves on what I already have. EFHW (end fed half wave) solutions attracted nothing but noise and may be due to the 44kV telegraph pole style farmer power lines that run parallel to my property less than 40 feet away(!) My loft doublet runs in the opposite direction and being a balanced antenna attracts far less noise so hopefully a loop will give me a similar result.....but better.

Any input anyone can give would be most appreciated but personal experience is what I'm really after.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 10:47 am

I ran an 80m loop, but it wasn't very high, so bit of a cloud warmer, and I got better performance from my current EFHW setup whcih I could get higher as I needed less supports.

I used an AH-4 tuner to the ends of the loop via a short length of ladder line for convenience (One to the "hot" terminal and one to the ground terminal on the tuner), with no balun, and the usual coax from the tuner back to the shack.  The AH-4 will tune a fence post, so no issues there.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 11:10 am

Hi Jeff,

Cheers for the input, much appreciated.

I know the Icom AH-4 is great bit of kit able to match very low as well as high impedances and thankfully I can do similar although manually with my homebrew ATU. Hopefully a short piece of ladderline to my upstairs shack should do the job for feeding it.

I know height is might with a lot of these things but hoping such a solution at the same height as the current doublet will improve on things.

Maybe I'll just go ahead with it and hope for the best but wanted personal experiences in case I land up wasting my time and efforts.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
richf
Contributor
Contributor
richf

Call Sign : 163-CT-067 GW0HDY
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Cwmbran, SE Wales
Equipment Used : FT450D FT818ND QCX MINI

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 5:44 pm

Just go for it Victor, you know different locations don't act the same - make your antenna erector a set of stilts and away you go.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 6:50 pm

Hi Richard,

Yep, location does help and I'm a bit amiss in that department......

antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Bedfor10

100m high valley walls surrounding Bedford!

The antenna erector (my wife) has already had enough of the spiders in the loft after a dozen or so visits so I don't think I'll be getting her on stilts anytime soon! Very Happy

I'll give it a bash (already ordered some more wire) and see how I fare. antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna 1f44d
Back to top Go down
richf
Contributor
Contributor
richf

Call Sign : 163-CT-067 GW0HDY
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Cwmbran, SE Wales
Equipment Used : FT450D FT818ND QCX MINI

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2023 7:09 pm

With regards to the topography, I have pretty similar. I believe the English translation of where we live is "The Valley of the Crow". Perhaps I should have stayed in Northampton. Good luck with the project.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2023 4:42 pm

I had one for 40m band up about 20ft. With ATU can match on any higher band. I liked the quiet receive. Noticeable less noise than a dipole. What you gain in flexibility in a multi-band antenna you loose in transmit performance, which is typically a little less than a dipole. But it is very broad-banded. You won't have to do much tuning inside of any HF band. It should be a good project for you!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your knowledge and experience with your own 40m loop it is most appreciated. antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna 1f44d 

I did put up a temporary fixture with thin wire (easier to get over the roof!) before committing to a full on build and was fairly impressed with it. As you say it matches wonderfully on all the HF bands especially as I used ladder-line to feed it but also as you mention it does seem to be a bit 'down' on my doublet. It seems like my S/N ratio is about the same so any apparent 'quietness' could be down to that. (?)

Like any good 'Amateur' I'll keep playing around on that quest for the holy grail antenna but it's all been good fun up to now. (My 44 foot doublet was much better on the higher bands so I might need to have two antennas strung up! My wife is gonna kill me if I ask her to help again....but I know she will help. Smile )

Thanks again.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Skyloop" Antenna   antenna - "Skyloop" Antenna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Skyloop" Antenna
Page 1 of 1