Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Requesting Charlie Tango Callsign
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeToday at 3:51 pm by KC8EMH

» New Member (Issued)
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeToday at 12:30 pm by John123

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeToday at 12:27 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeToday at 12:21 pm by Vasilis

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeToday at 12:15 pm by FreqFreak

» NATO 2000 Restoration
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by GaryWilson

» Help needed
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» what was your first radio and antenna
The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

Keywords
software ss9900 frequency call president Baofeng power anytone 2022 Mckinley lincoln yaesu Sirio display chart 9900 2023 sign meter list 6900 ALINCO supply Mobile callsign antenna
QRZ Database

The Great State Debate

Go down 
+8
Ivy Mike
Cozzmik
Victor
13oots2
peewee norfolk
43CT016
Alan Pilot
SangueG
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

The Great State Debate Empty
PostSubject: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 1:35 pm

Embracing the nature of Charlie Tango "The home of ALL things Radio", just opening a fun discussion for anyone to join in with be that on CB, Amateur, other radio users, SWLs, or more than one of these if you play with many radio aspects.
The Great State Debate State_10

Which US state(s) are you finding the hardest to get into your logbook?

Some states can be a difficult to get logged for many reasons, not just including distance, terrain, size, population density, and where you are located. Which are being the most troublesome for you? Maybe you are a big boy station or a very long time radio user and have worked them all many times, if so which do you have logged the least? If you only SWL the bands, which do you not hear or hear the least?

Most of our CT profiles show where we are located, but if yours does not do let know in your replies roughly where you are located, along with the radio platforms you use, as can make huge difference to the meaning of your reply. E.g. one of my nemesis states is South Dakota, I have only heard one station there on the ham bands since getting licenced and as far as I can see have no record of an 11m contact with anyone there ever. But if you live in that state or a nearby one, you might talk to people there every day.

Wonder if we will all come to the same conclusion for the hardest state to log...

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2023 2:29 pm

New Mexico was a hard one for me to get took me 18 months to get a station there that confirmed.
Still only the one contact there and that was K5TA on 10m ft8 back in June.
A m8 not far from me is still trying for Hawaii yet i have 14 contacts there.
Strange how it works.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2023 6:12 am

Well done with your 14 with Hawaii Alan. Just like your friend, I still don't have one with there yet, but have heard a couple.

I only have one ham contact to New Mexico too, K5HJA. 10m FT4, January this year, so that was 17 months for me. Pretty similar. Well we know there's at least 2 ham stations in that state Smile

Anyone had any CB contacts into New Mexico state?
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2023 10:39 am

Alaska and Hawaii are claimed to be the two most difficult...yet I have both whilst still lacking 15 or so others.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2023 10:53 am

Alaska is a big jump for you Jeff.
Had 61 contacts there but only 6 of them confirmed.
Hate it when you get some ware and they don't confirm.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2023 10:56 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Alaska is a big jump for you Jeff.
Had 61 contacts there but only 6 of them confirmed.
Hate it when you get some ware and they don't confirm.

Yes, only got that one ft8, not SSB.

With confirmations, I found the biggest difference i made was joining LOTW.  My confirmation rate jumped substantially, especially with our American friends.  I just link it into Log4OM and QRZ.com and have it all auto-update.
Back to top Go down
peewee norfolk
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
peewee norfolk

Call Sign : 26-CT-4879 / M7PCA
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : North Walsham, JO02QU
Equipment Used : FT1000MP !!!!!!binatone 5*,alinco dx10 135,sirio4000,silver rod,G5RV,beofeng 17 pro max, X30 duel 2m/70cm,full size G5RV, TS120v,soon new toy

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2023 12:59 pm

Had nova scota, and Mexico City on 27.505 usb (CB)
But struggle with the rest of USA at the moment as to many drown out my low power but I'll keep trying

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 8:32 am

peewee norfolk wrote:
Had nova scota, and Mexico City on 27.505 usb (CB)
But struggle with the rest of USA at the moment as to many drown out my low power but I'll keep trying
Well done on those contacts. You've made it to Nova Scotia and so it's only a matter of time I am sure before you hit the relatively close by US states to it. Keep at it, don't need a lot of power when the conditions align Smile

Jeff, had a play with Google Earth line measuring, was quite interesting seeing the distances between parts of Australia and the US. I had in my mind the two countries were generally closer than they actually were. I only have two contacts into Alaska and both using digital, one FT8 and one FT4.. Alan, you've done amazing in such a relatively short time to get that many!
Back to top Go down
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 9:14 am

With my indoor antenna the States is quite difficult for me, although most are East coast I have had one West coast.

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 1:13 pm

Same here Mark my friend, but without our indoor antennas what would the alternative be? Wink

You ought to be congratulating yourself on how much you achieve with it. The Great State Debate 1f44d 
(I know I do with mine!)

Worth waiting it out as I'd only got East coast stuff but then bagged Texas & Oklahoma one after the other more recently and both QRZ confirmed. I have had as far as Washington on the West coast but no confirmation came forth, then again you will eventually run across someone using QRZ. (Florida is my most common contact but not one single confirmation as of yet!)

Stick with it mate and more importantly, enjoy yourself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 1:28 pm

Victor wrote:
I have had as far as Washington on the West coast but no confirmation came forth, then again you will eventually run across someone using QRZ. (Florida is my most common contact but not one single confirmation as of yet!)

If you don’t already, signup for LOTW.  My confirmation rate on QRZ almost doubled when I did, and QRZ counts those confirmations for their awards too.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Cozzmik
10 + Year member
10 +  Year  member
Cozzmik

Call Sign : 26-CT-465/OP-465/FB-012
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : Kenwood ts570dg/Yaesu ft450d/Rm-kl400/Sirio 4000

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 3:42 pm

I heard a operator today say "mother nature has her long skirt on but she may give you a little peak if you play your cards right" which made me laugh...
California has been difficult for me over the last 30 years with only one contact made,yet Alaska long path using my Yagi has been achieved a few times...

I remember a guy and his wife using a 16 element long boom antenna on a 60 ft mast working the world but still needing mother nature's help.

If it was too easy where is the fun...

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Sep 27, 2023 4:51 pm

Ha! Ha! Very Happy

Haven't heard that expression in years Sam! 
"Showing her cleavage" was one for when the skip was really rolling in grabbing everyone's attention. Wink

I agree wholeheartedly with you, if it was easy it wouldn't be half as much fun. The Great State Debate 1f44d

Cozzmik likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2023 7:58 am

Have worked all states apart from
Delaware
Oregon
South Dakota
Wyoming

Unconfirmed
Alabama
Colorado
Idaho
Kansas
New Mexico
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2023 6:37 am

As Sam detailed in the 11m conditions discussion, the upper HF bands were great for for the US yesterday. Only caught the tail end though as I was out busy for most of the day. Really pleased to get my first South Dakota in the log, that was K0SSD on 10m FT8 using the indoor delta loop and 10w.

That's 47 out 50 worked and confirmed now. Ones left are Hawaii (already mention in another post), Wyoming (as you Mike), and Nevada (which I tried for a good time yesterday, and failed). So going by who I have heard on air even if I haven't worked them, Wyoming is currently the hardest one for me. Anyone worked that one, and if so how many times?

Mark 13oots2, very well done on your US contacts with your indoor antenna. Keep at it. If you are on the right band at the right time when conditions are optimal, you will work more states. Promise.

Alan Pilot and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2023 7:53 am

Seems I have Idaho, Alabama and Kansas confirmed on LOTW but not in QRZ.
So only two unconfirmed of those worked.

Did not have a WAS account in LOTW but now set up.

Wyoming is the least populated state, may be that is why it is more difficult.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2023 10:44 am

Sorry again Neal.
Wyoming 
1 time on 30m confirmed.
1 time on 17. confirmed.
2 times on 70cm DMR confirmed but i don't count them.
And none on any other band at all.

SangueG and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2023 7:29 am

Around the solar storm blackout at the beginning of the month I was surprised to manage my first contact with Hawaii, KH6CW on 17m FT8... there were still propagation paths open here and there. They confirmed a couple of days later, and was the last confirmation I needed to get the USA 50 award on QRZ, so very pleased.

Whilst this one took the longest, and not surprising being the furthest from me, after a check through my stats I am still putting Wyoming as the hardest for me currently as I only have one QSO there too but have not been hearing any more, whilst at least with Hawaii I do hear other stations from there. Other KH6s have been popping up that are not in that State, some are obvious like KH6XX/W0, but some have been running just their straight callsign with no /suffix, so maybe I am not hearing quite as many Hawaii as I first thought.

Ivy Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2023 9:55 pm

Now got OR worked and confirmed on 17metres.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 2-CT-216
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Palmdale California
Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2024 5:04 pm

FT4, FT8, 7 meters, 70cm, bah, let me know when you get all the States including Alaska and Hawaii, plus Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Porto Rica, and Canada on 11 meters (the CB frequencys) AM and Side-band only, then we will have something to talk about. Lol, just joking, i love radio. 
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2024 7:21 am

Coyote wrote:
FT4, FT8, 7 meters, 70cm, bah, let me know when you get all the States including Alaska and Hawaii, plus Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Porto Rica, and Canada on 11 meters (the CB frequencys) AM and Side-band only, then we will have something to talk about. Lol, just joking, i love radio. 

That would be a pretty impressive range of contacts for anyone to achieve on 11m from anywhere in the world Brian, but I wouldn't put it past a few members here to have done it. Have you, by chance? From where you are in California, which states for you are the most elusive?
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2024 7:45 am

Coyote wrote:

It is not that easy on the digital modes, I can tell you it is not for some of us.
Many have poor locations and compromised gear so digital modes can give a bit of an edge.

Myself, a location surrounded by hills, small low in height antennas and relative low power, no more than 100watts.

I have worked a few of the countries mentioned, on 10metres, this was back when I got the full call around 2003.
SSB with an Elecraft K2 and 10watts to a cobweb, not easy but I have done all the shouting I want to do on SSB.

BTW, one of my objectives is to work all states on the lower bands, especially on 80metres.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

Equipment Used : Base RCI 2950 Mirage, Mirage M75 Amatuer Bi-Linear Amplifier,with a Antron 99 base station antenna, Mobile radio Cobra 29 LTD Classic and Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna, Marko F100 Amplifier.

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2024 4:22 pm

SangueG wrote:
Coyote wrote:

That would be a pretty impressive range of contacts for anyone to achieve on 11m from anywhere in the world Brian, but I wouldn't put it past a few members here to have done it. Have you, by chance? From where you are in California, which states for you are the most elusive?
I have gotten all the U.S except Delaware and Rhode Island and also got the other countries that i mentioned on a Ranger 2950, on SSB,(27.375 27.385 and 27.395 LSB), a Mirage M75 amp (100 watts) and a Antron 99, it took me about 10 years and a whole bunch of yelling CQ CQ DX to do it, lots of trying, lots of luck and loads of fun.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
Coyote
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2024 4:34 pm

Ivy Mike wrote:
Coyote wrote:

It is not that easy on the digital modes, I can tell you it is not for some of us.
Many have poor locations and compromised gear so digital modes can give a bit of an edge.

Myself, a location surrounded by hills, small low in height antennas and relative low power, no more than 100watts.

I have worked a few of the countries mentioned, on 10metres, this was back when I got the full call around 2003.
SSB with an Elecraft K2 and 10watts to a cobweb, not easy but I have done all the shouting I want to do on SSB.

BTW, one of my objectives is to work all states on the lower bands, especially on 80metres.
I also run no more than a 100 watts on AM and Side-Band,(LSB 27.375,  27.385, and 27.395, AM 27.185 and 27.285) using a Ranger 2950, Mirage M75 (100  watts amp) and a Antron 99, but i'm in a real good location (out in the middle of the Mohave Desert) nothing around me to interfere with my signal, and nothing that stops me from putting my antenna as high as i want even though its only up 24 feet (from the ground to the base of the Antenna).

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
RadioWavez

Call Sign : 2-CT-210
Times Thanked : 7
QTH or Location : Lexington, Kentucky
Equipment Used : Alinco DX-SR8

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 3:36 pm

I live in Kentucky and the hardest states are the ones closest to me, such as Tennessee and Virginia. Too close for local and not far away enough for skip.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Great State Debate   The Great State Debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Great State Debate
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next