Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Anytone 6667
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» crt ss 9900
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeToday at 8:52 am by stealth 57

» South Coast PMR net report
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» what was your first radio and antenna
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeToday at 5:21 am by Numenius

» Help needed
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

Low pass filter Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Low pass filter Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
list meter Mckinley 6900 sign supply display 9900 ss9900 frequency ALINCO 2023 power anytone Mobile lincoln yaesu callsign call president Sirio software Baofeng 2022 chart antenna
QRZ Database

Low pass filter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 3:01 pm

https://www.rxtx.fi/paavalikko/rm-35mhz-hf-low-pass-filter-24-30-mhz-alipaastosuodin-600w/p/613014/#description

Any idea if this is a good filter?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 7:00 pm

Hi Glenn,

A 9-pole Chebyshev filter is always going to be good at it's job but it depends on what 'job' you want it for. (Your FT450D has similar specs for harmonic suppression built right in.)

Is it in an attempt to reduce any RF interference you may be causing?

In which case you might find yourself disappointed as well as bereft of some cash for one. (You can build these things for a fraction of the price they charge for them!) These filters are designed to reduce any RF harmonic or 'spurious' emissions that may be emitting from your transceivers but as already mentioned your FT450 is similarly specified and your other radios won't be that far behind.

There's always the argument that running a linear amplifier will also 'amplify' any harmonics but it's highly unlikely. (Either through built in additional filtering or the fact that the amplifier can't amplify such higher frequencies it's design running out of steam well before then.) Only if it is of a poor/cheap design will it produce harmonics of its own.

Your main harmonics will be the third and less so the fifth/seventh, so for CB frequencies any main 'problem' will be just under the commercial FM broadcast frequencies (80MHz odd) so not really affecting anyone. Your fifth will be within aircraft band range but so small as to be almost impossible to cause any such interference.

The main issue with any sort of RFI is usually front-end overloading of poorly designed receiving equipment or electromagnetic pickup sometimes on equipment not designed to pick up radio frequencies at all! If that's in your own property it's not usually much of an issue but does cause problems if it's affecting a close neighbour. 

In this instance your 'expensive' filter may not actually help you at all.

If you do have problems causing neighbourly interference then it's always wise to work with them to resolve any such problems. 

Cheap 'baby-monitors' can be a concern especially for 'new-parents' who will see such interference as cause for panic and a new monitor may resolve that especially if utilising better technology on different frequencies such as UHF/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. A gift of a new baby monitor may well be cheaper for you than a filter and short lived as babies grow quickly. Wink

If interference is over a typical sound system then just remember that all those long wires to the speakers will act like fairly efficient antennas! A few cheap toroids/chokes will help out there.

Similarly for PIR flood lights that 'go-off' every time you transmit especially in today's cheap Chinese manufactured products.

The other option.....turn down your own transmitting power. (You might 'miss' some DX! Very Happy )

If you're whacking out hundreds of Watts in all directions you're bound to affect someone close by, which is why it helps if you're out in the middle of nowhere. Low pass filter 1f44d 

That or do some reading up on 'common-mode-chokes' if your signals are coming back down your coax.....

Apologies for my 'waffle' there Glenn, but I've been away for a little while and got some catching up to do!

All the above info given can be found in any intelligent resource. Opinions may differ when armed with a small amount of knowledge, friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend recommendations or sometimes forum threads. Wink

All the best,
Victor

Razz229, glenn dog, Nightprowler, babis3g and weealan like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15, 2023 9:15 pm

You can buy used Kenwood, Comet and Yaesu ones rated for 1kW for £30 or so, around £45-£50 new like the Kenwood LF-30A. I'd rather trust one of those.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 7:43 am

Hi, thanks for the info, i need it for my MK KINLEY radio, FT 450D is working well, never over 2 bars of static, just want the MK kinley working better, it is getting 7 bars of noise these days, done all the tests  no luck, only one thing that i am thinking about is , i live near a Finish Defence live practice range and these days it is very active, gone for a dog walk to the area close to the main entry gate, with my hand held President , its 9 bars of static, i did the order today for the filter, so will report back next week on what it has done, thanks Victor for the good reply an d Northern crusader, Finland is expensive  and only one true radio dealer RX TX TUOTE so my options are low for shoping naround.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2023 6:15 am

I hope it all works out for you Glenn but not sure whether such a filter will help you with your reception issues. It has to be said that as good as the McKinley is for a CB it isn't a jot on what the Yaesu 450D is capable of doing simply by better design.

In a day of overly sensitive receivers it's often worth remembering to not crank everything to "11" and you'd be surprised how signals jump out when you turn the RF gain down a smidge. As good as your Yaesu is I still do this with mine (450-AT) for signal improvement and know it would benefit the McKinley.

The other issue is that you may well be comparing apples to oranges by making comparisons between different radios. I know that as an owner of multiple radios myself nowadays it's a "dangerous" game to play and best to enjoy the merits of each radio individually.

Again, I wish you well and would be pleased to hear how you get on.

Victor

Razz229 and glenn dog like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2023 6:40 am

Hello, I like using the Mk kinley more than the 450d, just something about cb radio been nostalgic for me, the new Superstar 3990 with its old fashion style and moving needle, is great, and that seems to filter out signals better than the Mk kinley, 3990 is 4 of static base line, will let you know what happens, I have 14 day return policy.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2023 10:15 am

Update,  after a few weeks using this filter with my radio is seems to work better for local radio within my home location,  on Dx it took about 1 signal point of qrm off the Mk kinley radio

Victor and TamGlasgow like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Low pass filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low pass filter   Low pass filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low pass filter
Page 1 of 1