Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Which handheld
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeToday at 11:49 am by 26CT1074

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

» Swedish Repeater on Ch20 Mid
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:29 pm by Vasilis

» CRT SS 9900 V4
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:57 am by babis3g

» Moved from Introductions
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm by babis3g

» Mr Macmillan (Information requested)
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2024 8:52 pm by Razz229

Keywords
power 2023 sign software lincoln Baofeng anytone frequency ss9900 yaesu meter Sirio ALINCO antenna 6900 list Mobile 2022 president display 9900 chart supply call callsign Mckinley
QRZ Database

Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Empty
PostSubject: Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane   Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeSun Feb 04, 2024 10:20 pm

Today I chopped up Ygritte, who was a quarter wave vertical for 11m I made when I came back to CB. She's been laying there dead on the floor of the loft for a long o' time now so thought I would make use of her.

Her top half a metre with tuning stub (smaller bit of pipe clamped firm with a jubilee clip) became the 2m quarter wave radiator, and two more half metre sections became the two legs. Yes, just two, as described in my nutty ramble in THIS post. Screwed down on to a cheapy chopping board.. we have a nicer glass one with pictures of ducks on we use in the kitchen now. Small bits of scrap copper wire sandwiched between the pipes and the fixing clamps have electrical choc blocs connecting them to the end of the coax.

Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane 2m_flu10

With it sat up in the loft, about 6m ish above the ground outside, seems to be working well enough for what it is. SWR not measured with any accurate equipment, but the radio is reporting highest SWR of 1.3:1 on 2m and highest of 1.5:1 on 70cm. Looks to have been a bit of a lift on this evening which no doubt helped, but still, it was great to get a few contacts in the log. FT8, 10W in to it brought a couple of 50 mile plus England contacts, one into Wales, and one in to France at 215 miles F6EGD. PSK Reporter showed many other stations around the south of the UK picking up my signal a couple also in Belgium.

It wasn't meant to be a DX machine, just needed something good enough to get into the Swindon repeaters and to listen for the ISS. Job done I say. Fiery red head Ygritte lives on as another, Melisandre. If anyone looks at it and says "that will never work" then heed the words of both of them "You know nothing..."

glenn dog, Victor, Alan Pilot and timjinx like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane   Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2024 10:29 am

Great posting Neal as ever and good to see you still enjoying aspects of antenna experimentation. Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane 1f44d 

I've utilised those cheap plastic chopping boards many times myself but often after the mercies of a saw to 'chop' them down even further. (They make great dipole centres.)

I can see where your references of a flux capacitor elsewhere having a bearing now. Can this take 1.21 Jigo-Watts too? Wink Very Happy

Something similar used to be quite common but made from wire and hung in a window space for those venturing into the Ham hobby on 2m years back. Amazing what can be done to get yourself onto the local repeaters.

Been trying to catch some VHF tropospheric action myself but need to hook up another FT8 setup for my alternative rig. Not enough USB ports on my laptop and need to switch the new collinear between rigs so tied up with a few projects myself now. Sometimes a shack-in-a-box would be handy but I do like that I can monitor many things at once with separate rigs.

Always great to see and read what you've been up to.

All the best,
Victor

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane   Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2024 7:36 am

Thank you Victor. You probably know me enough by now that I won't even be putting legal Intermediate level powers through it lol, let alone God forbid an unfortunate weather accident level powers. If the joining wires to the elements were swapped out for heavy braided straps I don't see any reason why it couldn't take the current Full legal limit though, those pipes are pretty heavy duty.

Not that huge power is needed on that band. I haven't done the 2m contests for many months, it was just getting a bit too samey for me, but I joined in to try for just a few contacts last night to see how it worked. I ran my usual 10W into both FM and SSB. I spoke with a few of the Swindoners on FM, the furthest being portable at 32 miles using just a mag mount on his car because of the high winds, who gave me 59+30 whilst we tested before the contest. On SSB, where most people use horizontal polarized beams I still managed a couple of 45+ mile contacts and one at 66 miles on this vertical. Very flat conditions last night too, no noticeable tropo.

I'll try it on 70cm next week, if I don't hear anyone on there before. But for now, if anyone is looking for a very easy cheap 2m antenna to make for their loft then this may do you.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane   Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chopping board 2m quarter wave ground plane
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: