Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
License changes today Icon_minitimeToday at 8:29 am by chazwozza

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
License changes today Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
supply list call software frequency sign 2022 ALINCO 6900 Sirio president Mckinley antenna 9900 2023 power anytone yaesu meter chart display ss9900 Mobile lincoln callsign Baofeng
QRZ Database

License changes today

Go down 
+4
Victor
ghoshy2014
VanRougeT4
Alan Pilot
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

License changes today Empty
PostSubject: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am

But what.
All of the updates ??.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2024/amateur-radio-more-freedom-to-innovate?fbclid=IwAR2MsYzBrmw_vEzlkglbVb6cr4LvPHQZQC7L7U2nHPvzThKPqMWI4SXhS74

Victor and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

Call Sign : 14-CT-019 - G1DBS
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Montreuil sur Mer
Equipment Used : XIEGU G90 - President Lincoln 2 +

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 12:43 pm

The updated terms T & Cs valid from today are here.
I can't post a link yet so shortened the URL

ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/214116/emf-amateur-licence-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 1:12 pm

VanRougeT4 wrote:
The updated terms T & Cs valid from today are here.
I can't post a link yet so shortened the URL

ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/214116/emf-amateur-licence-terms-and-conditions.pdf
They said it would be in stages.

Victor and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 pm

In my email it said that some aspects may be implemented later. But that PDF is dated today, so I guess that's the current position. Buggered if I know why anyone needs to transmit with 1000 watts, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned. Smile

Deb

----------------------------------------------------

Amateur radio: more freedom to innovate

Spectrum

From today, amateur radio enthusiasts will enjoy greater operating freedoms under amateur radio licensing changes announced by Ofcom.
Amateur radio, sometimes known as ham radio, has been an important part of wireless communications for over a century. From time to time, Ofcom reviews our licence conditions to reflect changes in technology and how the hobby has evolved.
Last year, we set out how we planned to change amateur radio licences and policies, so they better meet the needs of current and future needs of the hobby. We received over 1,400 responses, and we would like to thank everyone who provided their input as part of this process. Following this, we published our General Notice of Proposals to vary all amateur radio licences in line with the proposed new terms and conditions.
After carefully considering representations made in response to our December proposals, we have decided to proceed with amending the licence, with some modifications in light of the submissions we received.
There are approximately 100,000 amateur radio licences currently issued by Ofcom in the UK. All of these are effectively varied as of today – meaning amateur radio enthusiasts can now operate under the new rules. The changes we are making to the licences include:

• Updating the overall licensing framework. This includes allowing anyone to operate amateur radio equipment under a licensee’s supervision and making the process of getting and using a licence simpler and clearer.
  • Streamlining and modernising call sign assignment. This includes making the use of Regional Secondary Locators (RSL) optional, introducing the RSL ‘E’ for optional use by radio amateurs operating in England, and simplifying the license terms on the use of call sign suffixes.
  • Adjusting technical parameters. This includes increasing maximum power that radio amateurs are allowed to use in most frequency bands.
  • Providing clearer updated rules. This includes simplifying conditions to make them easier to understand and removing provisions not needed for spectrum management purposes.

Whilst the new rules apply from today, we will need to reissue all the licences and aim to complete this process by autumn 2024. We will shortly commence writing to licensees to provide each with their new licence document. We will contact licensees by email or post depending on their preferred method of communication. In the meantime, licensees can access the Amateur Radio General Licence Conditions Booklet from our website or contact us to request it in an alternative format.
Some elements of our December 2023 policy decisions will be implemented at a later date. We will update our guidance when these changes take effect.

Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
ghoshy2014
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
ghoshy2014

Call Sign : 26-CT-3796
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Warrington
Equipment Used : SS6900N

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 2:55 pm

1,000 watt's is nothing compared to those in manchester who run up to 2.5kw on channel 19. its fun they use 300 watts just to talk to next door @-@ mind boggle's, 
one day ofcom will allow people to use sirio 8/27 and not put in the terms,  aerial can only be 100cm long, wow the only thing i have that is a 100cm long is a ruler, kidding i have an original Bazooka aerial bit like a super lance,

VanRougeT4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 3:05 pm

I get more satisfaction making a DX QSO with QRP.
IMO, If conditions are up, TX power isn't a major factor.
I'm so glad I live nowhere near anyone pumping out 2.5kw

Deb

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 3:15 pm

I didn't get an Ofcom email as of yet???
(Just been keeping my eye on it all after hearing it was from the 21st Feb.)

Well done for pointing it out on the forum so that others that also haven't received the news will do so.
Pretty sure it'll flow along the radio grapevine pronto otherwise.

Oh Deb, I'll pop the link in for the new terms for everyone but thanks for posting that :-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0029/278345/amateur-radio-general-notice-decision.pdf

(Just noticed your 'VanRouge' profile picture, very apt and very nice. License changes today 1f44d )

Yeah, I don't get the 1kW also apart from apparent 'harmonisation', but then again there's many a full licenced Ham exclaiming on-air "Only 400 Watts this way...Hi-Hi" with a QRZ picture of their Acom amplifiers!

For me anyway, you might as well just pick up the telephone. Rolling Eyes

Right, I'm off to crank my little Leixen up to 25 Watts and see how hot it gets. I might have to re-read the HF radio manual to figure out which combination of button presses, menu items and knobs I have to twist to get that b*gger up to 25 Watts though! Very Happy

Thanks again all.

Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 3:28 pm

@Victor

Thanks for putting the clickable link in. I was going to edit my post when I can to the link, but that saved me the trouble.

My little campervan's name is a play on the French for red wine: Vin Rouge; the 'vin' being pronounce in French as 'van'.

We are touring a lot this year including Ireland, so the President Lincoln 2 will be much used, especially now non-licensees (my OM) can use it supervised under the new regs.

Deb

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2024 4:03 pm

No worries there Deb. License changes today 1f44d 

Yeah I did get the Vin Rouge bit and had a good chuckle when I saw your profile pic. Very clever.
(Plus I like VW's despite being a motorcycle man as it's also my initials. I have a 1960's campervan hub cap hanging on the wall after being gifted it from an old friend a few xmas's back. Wink )

Nice one with the touring so I'll wish you well and safe travels for the year ahead.

The licence changes are handy, I'm hoping my wife can say hello nowadays rather than the sheepish quietness when she 'shtums' herself after realising I'm on air when she visits the shack. Very Happy

All the best to you,
Victor

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2024 7:27 am

That would be a fantastic contact Victor.
You me L and T.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2024 8:46 am

Wouldn't it just Alan mate! License changes today 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeSat Feb 24, 2024 11:48 am

ghoshy2014 wrote:

one day ofcom will allow people to use sirio 8/27 and not put in the terms,  aerial can only be 100cm long, wow the only thing i have that is a 100cm long is a ruler, kidding i have an original Bazooka aerial bit like a super lance,

I'm sure they got rid of that rule ages ago.

Back to top Go down
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 2:03 pm

I've used the new 1kW limit on three HF bands (40m/20m/10m), just to see if the aerials, etc were up to it.  After that, I just went back to the old limit (don't fancy a big electric bill). Rolling Eyes  If I get any RFI complaints from the neighbour now, I'll know it's the higher power that's caused it.  I did the EMF calculations, before I ran the tests.

PS: Remember the power limits are measured from the aerial feed point and not from the back of the radio. License changes today 1f44d

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 3:24 pm

A kilowatt here would be folly, happy with a ton.

Back to top Go down
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 5:45 pm

Ivy Mike wrote:
A kilowatt here would be folly, happy with a ton.

Your mileage may vary. 😉 I'm still a member of the G-QRP club, but no longer have a Yaesu FT-817ND to go portable with...

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 7:53 pm

Hi Ian. How did the tests go, I guess OK and you would of said if they didn't? I've watched a few videos relating to the licence changes and there has been talk about looking out for bad coax, connectors etc when ramping up to the new full licence legal limits.

I know for sure my antenna systems would not cope, using electrical choc blocks to join coax to wires and pipes. But then I won't be running that level obviously. I might try the 100W level on SSB to see if all is good, just in case it's ever needed to be used in an emergency, but for the main part I am happy to keep using 10W or less... I like the challenge, and it keeps things simple regarding EMF calcs and keeping neighbours happy. I'm a member of G-QRP too.

I joked to my better half that they can now use it to talk on as long as I am supervising. Unexpectedly, my daughter actually is quite keen to have a go. We'll see what the future brings.

MM0IMC likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 8:38 pm

SangueG wrote:
Hi Ian. How did the tests go, I guess OK and you would of said if they didn't? I've watched a few videos relating to the licence changes and there has been talk about looking out for bad coax, connectors etc when ramping up to the new full licence legal limits.

I know for sure my antenna systems would not cope, using electrical choc blocks to join coax to wires and pipes. But then I won't be running that level obviously. I might try the 100W level on SSB to see if all is good, just in case it's ever needed to be used in an emergency, but for the main part I am happy to keep using 10W or less... I like the challenge, and it keeps things simple regarding EMF calcs and keeping neighbours happy. I'm a member of G-QRP too.

I joked to my better half that they can now use it to talk on as long as I am supervising. Unexpectedly, my daughter actually is quite keen to have a go. We'll see what the future brings.

It went okay, as far as I could tell.  None of the neighbours came to the door, so far. As I'm only using SSB at that power level, then the exposure level is somewhat reduced.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: License changes today   License changes today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

License changes today
Page 1 of 1