Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

» new call sign
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:02 pm by JUMPER

» CT call sign request
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:50 pm by Petesevern

» EU conditions have started
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:41 am by babis3g

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:51 am by babis3g

» HF Contacts 15m
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:44 am by Ivy Mike

» South Coast PMR net report
Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:12 am by Razz229

Keywords
call Mckinley ss9900 anytone software chart supply 2023 frequency sign ALINCO Baofeng Sirio callsign 6900 antenna power Mobile yaesu meter display 2022 president list 9900 lincoln
QRZ Database

Smelly Rotel

Go down 
+3
skyrider
cbrmac
andy66
7 posters
AuthorMessage
andy66

Call Sign : 26-CT-5106
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Ipswich
Equipment Used : Ares II

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 6:49 pm

A few weeks ago I bought a Rotel 220 from ebay. Its working fine and cosmetically in pretty good condition but it stinks. When I say stinks I mean it. Really strong piss like smell.
I have cleaned it (it was filthy) to a point where it almost looks brand new but the smell remains.
I was ordered by the wife to remove it from the house and it has been in the shed for the last week where I hoped the smell might clear off. I looked at it today and it hasn't. 
I wanted to put it in my car but there's no way that's going to happen while it stinks.
Haa anybody ever had this happen to them or have any ideas what to do with it?

Regards Andy
Back to top Go down
cbrmac
cbrmac

Call Sign : 163-CT-371
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Pembroke....(Pembrokeshire )
Equipment Used : Yaesu

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 7:02 pm

Heck knows what the smell is ? Maybe from some heavy smoker ? One possible way is to remove the covers and spray the inside with electric switch cleaner... leave to dry off ..that may help ... nicotine absolutely stinks .

andy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 pm

have you tried taking the casing off for a while and leaving it in the shed and maybe spraying the inside of the casing with mr sheen or similar

andy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 7:56 pm

I've found it interesting in the past acquiring previously used CB's. Often when setup in my room they would have their own distinct smell from a previous owner's home or vehicle. Never had one that stinks like you describe though. Hope you get it cleaned up ok.

andy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
26CT1074
Contributor
Contributor
26CT1074

Call Sign : 26-CT-1074 / M7MMC
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Icom IC-7300, Lincoln II (V4), Xiegu X6100

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 7:59 pm

I had a similar thing happen about six or seven years ago. I bought a Midland Portapak from a seller on eBay, it worked as it should and everything was okay. But it had been exposed to nicotene and the the smell from it was almost unbearable. I couldn't have it in the house, I tried everything to clean it and had it looking mint. But the smell remained. I ended up selling it onto a friend of mine who wanted it for parts as it was sickeningly smelly.

andy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/c/OnTheMicwithMike
ghoshy2014
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
ghoshy2014

Call Sign : 26-CT-3796
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Warrington
Equipment Used : SS6900N

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeSun Feb 25, 2024 9:16 pm

it might sound silly, but have you taken of the lids and smelled where the strongest smell comes from it might be located in one part stronger then the rest, and focus on that part, 

If you choose to use a none conductive solution to spray on the entire board to get rid of the smell, make sure you remove both lids completly, make sure you get under each component you can with the spray and allow to dry for atleast 24 hours, i would also try putting an odor eater close to the radio to draw of any lingering smell,

andy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2024 2:56 pm

Antistatic foam cleaner and a toothbrush. Absolutely blather the whole of it inside and out with the foam cleaner and give it a good scrub with the toothbrush. Use a microfibre towel to clean it off then leave it in a warm place so that any foam that's got under any chips dries out. The foam cleaner itself also stinks like cat piss but it'll clean pretty much anything off.

andy66 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Smelly Rotel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smelly Rotel   Smelly Rotel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smelly Rotel
Page 1 of 1