Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

Keywords
Sirio power antenna Mckinley software 2023 Mobile yaesu list display callsign president ALINCO 6900 ss9900 meter 9900 supply lincoln sign chart Baofeng frequency call anytone 2022
QRZ Database

First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MattWatson

Call Sign : 26-CT-4230
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Newcastle upon Tyne
Equipment Used : Non so far

First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Empty
PostSubject: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 4:06 pm

So I have an old Rotel RVC220 that was once my Grandads, he presumably used it in his Airport taxi and I seem to remember him using one but not this specific one! its old and battered...and i'm trying to get everything together I need to try it out as i've always had an interest in them...but with it being old its also going a little rusty, just on the outer case from where its been bashed about and it also has a lot of glue residue on it too. 

It got me thinking, has anyone tried restoring the outer metal case on old radios? and if you have what paint did you use? id be more than happy to spray it just flat black but if there was an official paint/paint code I should be using to try and keep it original then I would really appreciate it! with any luck ill enjoy using them and ill be straight out buy more as its really is a very basic and simple unit! 

all the best gents, 73!

26-CT4230

Rjbingham likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi Matt,

First things first, make sure the radio is all working first before you carry out restoring the case panels. Wink
(I know it was your Grandads so more special than any other CB.)

As for painting the cases any normal spray painting routine will do you nicely. You can get a good finish with a rattle can if you prepare the cases properly first such a rust removal, sanding, priming etc. Some people have made some excellent restorations from such pursuits. First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  1f44d 

I'm sure that there's some members here that may have undertaken such restorations and may be able to give you more pointers than I. Just leaves me to wish you all the best of luck with it. Smile

All the best,
Victor

glenn dog and MattWatson like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 7:06 pm

I did many case refurb's on the rotel mainly the rvc-240.
I used to base coat them with galvanise spray then top coat was gunmetal.
Looked like new and i fitted the mid-block in them as well but that's another storey.

glenn dog, Victor, MattWatson and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 10:22 pm

I just remembered a guy that used to do 'crinkle/wrinkle' finishing on his rigs you saying that Alan.

I'm pretty sure VHT do such a finish in black and although not original they look good, pretty tough and best of all you just sand to bare metal and spray straight on. First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  1f44d 

Might be worth a search Matt?
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 am

I used to get the galvanise spray free a m8 was the stores man in the water board lol.
He use to bring me loads of stuff shrink wrap was another thing but 30 years ago that was.
Back to top Go down
MattWatson

Call Sign : 26-CT-4230
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Newcastle upon Tyne
Equipment Used : Non so far

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Could be even tempted to do a vinyl wrap Victor! im not one to shy away from a project and have done resprays before, I have a petrol lawn mower engine in bits right now in the middle of a rebuild. 

although thoughts on the vinyl wrap were not only could I get a matching colour...I could even go custom and wrap it a bright colour...just to annoy all the people who like to keep cbs original haha

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 pm

If you get the right colour and finish they look good and it will make you smile as well.
When i did them back in the day they came to me broken and in a state normally so i fitted the mid block big thing back then and did the refurb only thing i was short of was the original box lol.

Victor and MattWatson like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 3:31 pm

I agree with Alan there Matt, restoring a radio however you do it can really put a smile on your face. Smile

You'll have to let us all know how you get on and even pop some pictures up should you wish.
If it's, "Radio", it's all good in our book. First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  1f44d 

(Oh, and well done with tinkering with engines and stuff - many a time I've had a lawn mower or motorcycle engine in bits on the kitchen table! Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Paddy
CT Directors
CT Directors
Paddy

Call Sign : 26CT2727
Times Thanked : 54
QTH or Location : Stockport
Equipment Used : Icom 7300. Icom 705, Yaesu FTM400XD and a Yaesu FT70.

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi there this is a great thing to do. I don’t know if you can access this thread from the old forum but it will help you immensely. I think you should be able to without registering but fingers crossed. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/copythat/hy-gain-v-2795dx-t21803.html

Victor, Alan Pilot and Rjbingham like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220    First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Official Post ???? - Rotel RVC220
Page 1 of 1