Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Anytone 6667
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» crt ss 9900
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeToday at 8:52 am by stealth 57

» South Coast PMR net report
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» what was your first radio and antenna
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeToday at 5:21 am by Numenius

» Help needed
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeToday at 5:13 am by Numenius

what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
9900 Sirio 2022 ss9900 Baofeng Mobile Mckinley sign frequency display meter anytone chart lincoln supply 2023 ALINCO antenna software president power 6900 yaesu callsign list call
QRZ Database

what radio do you wish you never sold

Go down 
+9
micscave
stephen Gunrunner
ghoshy2014
Telstar
Nightprowler
Alan Pilot
SangueG
Victor
teapot
13 posters
AuthorMessage
teapot
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4484
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Torquay
Equipment Used : cobra 148 glt dx starlker9 fdx, icom 706 mk1

what radio do you wish you never sold Empty
PostSubject: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2024 8:35 pm

a lot of you joined in what was you first set up so i thought i would do this. i have three rigs i never sold cobra 148gtl dx stalker 9fdx and although modulation was crap the hygain v with that bleep now all stupid money

John123, Victor, Nightprowler, SangueG and micscave like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 6:33 am

Some great postings from you recently Dave. what radio do you wish you never sold 1f44d 

I regret selling far too many radios I once had back in the heady days of early UK CB but people always offered me good money for them and with a growing young family later on it was a case of needs must. The last one I hung on to was a Tristar 777 that I'd fully modified but even that had to go for the sake of the bills in the end. Rolling Eyes

Out of all the radios I ever wanted at that time though I never managed to get hold of one, namely the Stalker ST-9F DX. You're a lucky man to still have one. Smile

(For no other reason than I liked them even with the quirky 'wood' effect front and because my old Dad had one.)

Look forward to hearing from anyone else that managed to actually hang on to their early rigs or whether like me they got lost in the mists of time.

Victor

SangueG, teapot and micscave like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 am

I wish I never sold my Ham Jumbo 3. It only put out a bit more power than standard rigs, but was expanded to cover a massive frequency range. I could be using it on 10m & 12m now if I still had it. I know it was not to everyone's tastes, but to me it looked good. The same casing style is still being used for other new radios today by Ranger.

Told the story before on here, but I sold it in the '90s to a local who was studying for the Ham licence, now M0ANO. Heard him on air a couple of years ago, conversed, recognised me, but no longer owned the radio. I hope whoever it moved on to enjoyed it a much as we did.

Have almost nothing left of mine from the past. In my general tool boxes I have found bits and pieces like 3/8 antenna connectors, S0239 barrel cable joiners, and my father-in-law has an amp of mine.. whenever he sees me he asks if I want it for a bit more power and I tell him "thanks but no thanks I like using less power" which he just doesn't understand.

Last edited by SangueG on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor, teapot and micscave like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 03, 2024 10:33 am

I had a Marko Excalibur a lot like the jumbo.
It had every possible expansion mod you could think of not done by me lol.
Fantastic bit of kit went evert ware did everything.

Been trying to think all morning where it went i just don't remember but would buy it back in a heartbeat and pay handsome for it.
Just remember the guy that did the work Dick he looked like you wouldn't trust him with a box of lego but boy he knew his stuff.

Victor, SangueG, teapot and micscave like this post

Back to top Go down
Nightprowler
Nightprowler

Call Sign : 163TM186...MW6ETW
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Abergavenny
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT757 GX2...Kenwood TS440S...Sirio GM

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 2:47 pm

My lovely mint condition Stalker ST 9F DX and Stalker XX homebase what radio do you wish you never sold 1f616

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Telstar
Telstar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3520. Foundation & Intermediate Ham
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Telford, Shropshire
Equipment Used : Uniden 200. SS6900N, Yaesu FT8900, Alinco DX77E, Alinco DX70

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 4:39 pm

One of my new and mint Uniden 100 which I bought on day 1 of legal 27/81 CB complete with snatch plates for the car and home which went when I "retired" from CB in the early 90's. 

Also my previous rig to the Uniden 100 which was a Ham International Viking 80ch AM/FM which went on day 2 of legal CB to another CB nut.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
ghoshy2014
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
ghoshy2014

Call Sign : 26-CT-3796
QTH or Location : Warrington
Equipment Used : SS6900N

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 11:14 pm

don't regret selling any of my radio's in the past, all though many was nice radio's its part of life, everything we do is what happens, bit like turning left instead of right, if only, we don't control life or decision's we make they just happen, the only radio i have kept and will never sell is the president jackson import, my dad got with A-F band's, it was given on a permanent loan as my dad said before he died, so its one radio i would not part with,

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2024 2:34 pm

hell i give a lots and lots away the most i missed was the Cobra 148 gtl dx man i wished i had kept for lots of good reasons.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
micscave

Call Sign : 26-CT-5095
QTH or Location : Burntwood
Equipment Used : NATO 2000, Ham Int 8040, CRT 9900, Thunderpole TX

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2024 9:32 pm

I really miss my first SSB rig which was a Colt Black Shadow, a really solid bit of kit that was.

I wish I’d never sold my Superstar 2000 which I stripped the case and had chromed & I looked amazing as well as being a brilliant radio.

My biggest regret was selling my NATO 2000 that I bought from brand new and let it go with the box and manual, it was in mint condition. I still have one but it needs attention, case respray / wrap. Knobs need painting, signal meter bulb is dead and maybe just needs a good going over by someone who knows what they’re doing which isn’t me.

Victor and Mavic2Pro like this post

Back to top Go down
Lynton
Contributor
Contributor
Lynton

Call Sign : 26-CT-4805
QTH or Location : Peterborough, UK
Equipment Used : President McKinley EU or K-PO DX5000 plus + Sirio Signal Keeper, Horizontal Half Wave Dipole or Full Wave Delta Loop.

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 5:54 pm

I wish I kept my Ham International MultiMode II.
A great radio that was as it was totally unmodified and in pretty good condition.
It had the typical slightly muffled TX audio on FM and the distinctive roger beep.........
Except for that rig I still have my early radios in storage. I guess by now they would mostly need some attention to get them going again sadly.

Without looking I think I have:-

MaxCom 6E (My main rig in the early 80's)
Nato 40FM (My main rig in the late 80's into the 90's)
HyGain V
Amstrad CB901
Kernow Beta 1100

I do have others but can't remember what they are now.

The Maxcom and the Hygain I would never part with as my late Dad bought them for me. The others I'm not so bothered about not that I am looking to sell any of them at this time!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

Call Sign : 14-CT-019 - G1DBS
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Montreuil sur Mer
Equipment Used : XIEGU G90 - President Lincoln 2 +

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 10:02 pm

Two radios I wish I still had, if only for sentimental reasons.

1/ my Trio TR7010 SSB mobile which I used as a base station in my 'shack under the stairs'. I think I swapped for a 2m handheld, which I do still have, but not used in over 30 years.

2/ As a class B licence holder back in the day, I could only enjoy listening to the HF amateur bands on my Heathkit GC-1A Mohican. The first solid state short wave receiver Heathkit made. This one I loaned to a friend and it was never returned.

Both the above radios can be seen in my shack photo that I posted in another thread.

what radio do you wish you never sold My_old10

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
tspirawk@gmail.com

Call Sign : 2-CT-263
QTH or Location : Beloit, WI, EN52LL
Equipment Used : In the market for a new one

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Without a doubt, it would be my Cobra 148GTL.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm

Hello Chaps,

This is a great thread.👍

I still have many classics: Stalker 9fdx, Superstar 360fm mk2 (both with stealth front), Cobra 148gtl dx mk2, Lincoln, Jackson, Jack and Uniden 100. (Jackson/Jack/100 all black fronted)...... But the radio I wish I still owned is my Ham International MM2. It was in a pretty rough condition (still at school with very little money). 

The radio's significance to me, was the fact that it was my first ssb set and opened up a whole new facet to the hobby over the 27/81 radios I had been using. My first non UK contact was into Genoa, Italy. I was absolutely extatic and fascinated how the radio wave propagated.

I think, what made it extra special to me, was that I bought the radio with my own money, earned by all the parttime jobs I had. It was a great source of pride to me as a kid.

I had to hide it under the floorboards when I wasn't using it. My parents would of had a fit, if they had known, with it not being legal. All this just added to excitement of it all. Great memories. 🙂

Les-1, Victor, Nightprowler, DerekF and micscave like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 5:01 am

Brilliant memories there John mate and a pleasure to read. what radio do you wish you never sold 1f44d 

Great to hear from everyone else about their radios too and I thank Dave (teapot) for making such an excellent posting evoking such memories.

John123 and teapot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what radio do you wish you never sold   what radio do you wish you never sold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what radio do you wish you never sold
Page 1 of 1