Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign Request (Issued)
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeToday at 5:25 am by Victor

» Callsign request (Issued)
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeToday at 5:19 am by Victor

» call sign (Information Requested)
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeToday at 5:15 am by Victor

» happy to be onboard (Introduction)
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» Gettin a CT call sign (Issued)
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeToday at 5:07 am by Victor

» what was your first radio and antenna
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:48 pm by K4RLMORG4N

» Eastbourne weekly FM net
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:12 pm by spurs dazza47

» South Coast PMR net report
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:08 pm by Victor

» new member, callsign request (Issued)
Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:21 am by John123

Keywords
antenna power sign 6900 2011 meter chart 2023 Sirio display lincoln callsign anytone supply president list 2022 software ALINCO frequency yaesu ss9900 call 2024 9900 Mckinley
QRZ Database

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Lingfield
Equipment Used : CRT Yaesu

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Empty
PostSubject: Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil   Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2024 1:11 pm

I know what one I like the look of best.

UK Silver Rod, look how thin that wire is about 1.5mm on treated cardboard.

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil 27837712

Sirio 1/2 GPS Silver rod coil, double as thick at least :

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Gpe_gps_coil_max

GaryWilson, Ace, Mavic2Pro, weealan, MM0IMC, John79 and Muckshifter like this post

Back to top Go down
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil   Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2024 10:56 am

FreqFreak wrote:
I know what one I like the look of best.

UK Silver Rod, look how thin that wire is about 1.5mm on treated cardboard.

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil 27837712

Sirio 1/2 GPS Silver rod coil, double as thick at least :

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Gpe_gps_coil_max

It's actually only 1mm enamelled copper wire, on the sliver rod. Rolling Eyes  You may find this post of interest...

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t5343-some-silver-rod-repairs?highlight=silver+rod

Ace and FreqFreak like this post

Back to top Go down
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Lingfield
Equipment Used : CRT Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil   Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2024 12:01 pm

It is your photo there with the cheapo coil. 1mm.

The UK sliver rods are ok for portable, super light and you can use jubilee clips with butterfly nuts on each section so they are handy for that. The Sirio more tricky as it is screws, more hassle.

The Sirio GPS 1/2 much better quality for a base installation.

Must be quite a lossy coil set up using 1mm I bet that heats up with 100W SSB. I think they should re-design the coil section of the UK one using better quality former and wire. I would never buy one again personally after seeing that.
Back to top Go down
MM0IMC
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 108-CT-226 / MM0IMC
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Ayrshire
Equipment Used : Amstrad 901 Sidebander

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil   Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2024 12:10 pm

FreqFreak wrote:
It is your photo there with the cheapo coil. 1mm.

The UK sliver rods are ok for portable, super light and you can use jubilee clips with butterfly nuts on each section so they are handy for that. The Sirio more tricky as it is screws, more hassle.

The Sirio GPS 1/2 much better quality for a base installation.

Must be quite a lossy coil set up using 1mm I bet that heats up with 100W SSB. I think they should re-design the coil section of the UK one using better quality former and wire. I would never buy one again personally after seeing that.

I thought I recognised the picture! Laughing

After rebuilding the transformer coil with new wire and proper solder, it can handle the new 1kW legal limit on 10m, with no problems.

Out-of-the-box, the build quality is crap. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil   Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comparison of UK vs Italian Silver rod coil
Page 1 of 1