Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» SFI 303 low A and K !!!!
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeToday at 11:29 am by FreqFreak

» Homebrew Antenna/Rig Switches
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeToday at 4:01 am by Victor

» New introduction and callsign application (Issued)
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 10:28 pm by John123

» new call signe application (Issued)
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 10:25 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 9:08 pm by Razz229

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 11:27 pm by John123

» University of Twente WEBSDR - Weird wide band signal on 10m
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 4:02 pm by VanRougeT4

» Is the midband enough
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 3:07 pm by Tony1091

» President Mckinley Vs Superstar 3900 - battle of the legal rigs
Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 10:14 am by Tony1091

Keywords
software lincoln ss9900 6900 Baofeng display 2022 frequency Mckinley meter president chart ALINCO sign yaesu 2023 antenna callsign anytone list 2024 Mobile Sirio 9900 call power
QRZ Database

Measuring antenna length

Go down 
+3
FreqFreak
SangueG
karelgol
7 posters
AuthorMessage
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-897D, CB silver rod as mutiband HF antenna, OSJ-pole for 2m/70cm, MFJ-925 tuner

Measuring antenna length Empty
PostSubject: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2024 7:19 pm

I asked the fellow novice ham in my neighbourhood what length his silver rod was. I got the answer 5.145 m accompanied with a series of pictures of which the pic showed is one. He measures the length from the "plastic" support on top of the mount to the end of the antenna. I measure from the bottom of the mount, where the wire connects to the radiator. I think he is more correct as for the length of the mounting clamp there's a combination of radiator and "ground". The pure radiator part starts where he starts to measure (in my opinion, in fact on top of the clamp, on the bottom of the "plastic" support). Never thought about it this way....

Measuring antenna length Img_2110

Karel

John79 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 6:26 am

It's something that has crossed my mind in the past, but never really given it any proper though till you asked the question. I am going to theorise that you are the one who measured correctly.. measure from the very bottom where the wire connects to the radiator.

My reason to say this is that even though this is an end fed half wave, a half wave is a half wave and so it's current maximum, and where it radiates the most from, is the centre of he antenna. The very ends are less important. The ends can be bent about, or even covered by a bit of "ground" as in this case, and will have very little effect on its performance.

Just my opinion, don't take my answer as de facto Laughing Would be interested to know other peoples thoughts on it.

karelgol likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Lingfield
Equipment Used : CRT Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 9:14 am

Likely the entire antenna will radiate so measure from the SO239 rivets. Even though it has a DC short the bit of rod in the bracket is likely to radiate.

Do remember that any current centre will only be in the middle of the antenna for 27/28MHz. It will be moving with frequency.

Using this rod will change the current centre along with frequency as the antenna becomes more or less like 1/2, 1/4 or even 1/8 wave.

For example 1/4 wave current centre is at feed point (on 20m band 5m of rod is similar to 1/4 wave at that frequency).

GaryWilson and karelgol like this post

Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-897D, CB silver rod as mutiband HF antenna, OSJ-pole for 2m/70cm, MFJ-925 tuner

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2024 1:23 pm

I also like to model my antennas in CocoaNEC or 4NEC2, so i'm curious which length i should put in the model. I'm not that good in modelling to put a piece of ground and a piece of radiator on the same height.
Back to top Go down
John79

Call Sign : 26-CT-5099
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Kettering, NN14
Equipment Used : President

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2024 1:56 pm

karelgol wrote:
I asked the fellow novice ham in my neighbourhood what length his silver rod was. I got the answer 5.145 m accompanied with a series of pictures of which the pic showed is one. He measures the length from the "plastic" support on top of the mount to the end of the antenna. I measure from the bottom of the mount, where the wire connects to the radiator. I think he is more correct as for the length of the mounting clamp there's a combination of radiator and "ground". The pure radiator part starts where he starts to measure (in my opinion, in fact on top of the clamp, on the bottom of the "plastic" support). Never thought about it this way....

Measuring antenna length Img_2110

Karel
Why are you measuring it please?
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2024 2:13 pm

"Why are you measuring it please?".

I had some trouble getting this antenna to work, so i asked a fellow ham, who also uses a silver rod as multiband HF antenna, to measure his antenna. Adjusted mine to this length and still not working. Then i dismantled the whole system and measured every part for continuity (except the UNUN). It turned out the new hyperflex 5 cable i bought (ready made with the special PL259 plug) had a short between shield and wire. Remounted both plugs and finally solved my antenna issues. So my advice to everyone would be "when buying ready made parts, test, test and test again before use".

Karel

Victor and John79 like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 362
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2024 2:44 pm

Well said there Karel. Measuring antenna length 1f44d 

I have purchased a few 'pre-terminated' cables in the past and quite often they are appallingly put together with either whiskers of copper braid floating around inside connectors or poorly soldered centre connectors. An immediate short or open circuit can be easily found but such shoddy workmanship usually rears it's ugly head after you've connected it up to your equipment!

Hence why I now make all of my own cables.....then I can only blame myself if it all goes wrong. Very Happy

Nice tip there Karel and good luck with the antenna.

Victor

karelgol and John79 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
John79

Call Sign : 26-CT-5099
QTH or Location : Kettering, NN14
Equipment Used : President

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2024 3:19 pm

karelgol wrote:

I had some trouble getting this antenna to work, so i asked a fellow ham, who also uses a silver rod as multiband HF antenna, to measure his antenna. Adjusted mine to this length and still not working. Then i dismantled the whole system and measured every part for continuity (except the UNUN). It turned out the new hyperflex 5 cable i bought (ready made with the special PL259 plug) had a short between shield and wire. Remounted both plugs and finally solved my antenna issues. So my advice to everyone would be "when buying ready made parts, test, test and test again before use".

Karel
Ah ok , i have a cheap silverrod half wave from moonraker it has no marking's for the correct length on cb band , it was alot of messing about tbh to get the swr correct.  i think it ended up about 5 metres .

karelgol likes this post

Back to top Go down
andywilliamsuk

Call Sign : Bostick (Superglue)
QTH or Location : Hastings
Equipment Used : Anytone Ares II / Anytone Mini / Silver Rod 1/2 Wave

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2024 11:15 am

karelgol wrote:

I was about to say the same.  Whenever I make up coaxial leads I always buzz out using a multimeter the continuity to check there are no dead shorts.  You can’t do this with the coaxial connected to the aerial because they have a matching transformer in the bottom which will look like a dead short (prior lesson learned!).  But whenever I’ve had problems with poor SWR it is normally either poor continuity or a dead short between the conductor and braid.  
Back to top Go down
Savwafare10
Savwafare10

Call Sign : 2-CT-351
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Greeley / Evans
Equipment Used : Kenwood TS450s TS440s Icom 706MK2 Sigma Venom 5/8 wave with home brew ground radials (8) Drake R 4B- T 4xB (twins) 4el LFA soon to go up in the air/

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2024 5:37 pm

I puchased  the Silver rod 5/8wave  handfull of years ago.  I guess I may have cheated using  a vertical antenna caculator  to do a quick set up.  The analyzer read I was close, Tinkered a little this way or that way and was dialed in , in no time really. I never thought to measure the length afte done.  I did remove the 3 little radials , I added 8 )  9ft radials  with 2 Maco Ground radials hubs. We had the radio shack Crossbow64  .64 wave ground plain in the late 1970's into the 1980's  I was going for a close replica in 5/8wave form. ( crossbow 64 had 4 ) 9ft radials not 8, I figured I had the pieces, why not? tuned very well and widend the coverage a little. Nice quiet RX as well. 2CT351
Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2024 5:55 pm

For me the choice for the silver rod was, because a lack of space in my garden, so also not much room for radials. But what would you recommend? Using the 3 small 1' radials, or just omit them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Measuring antenna length   Measuring antenna length Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Measuring antenna length
Page 1 of 1