Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» SFI 303 low A and K !!!!
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeToday at 11:29 am by FreqFreak

» Homebrew Antenna/Rig Switches
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeToday at 4:01 am by Victor

» New introduction and callsign application (Issued)
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 10:28 pm by John123

» new call signe application (Issued)
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 10:25 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2024 9:08 pm by Razz229

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 11:27 pm by John123

» University of Twente WEBSDR - Weird wide band signal on 10m
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 4:02 pm by VanRougeT4

» Is the midband enough
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 3:07 pm by Tony1091

» President Mckinley Vs Superstar 3900 - battle of the legal rigs
skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 10:14 am by Tony1091

Keywords
ALINCO 6900 list 2024 lincoln power yaesu callsign Sirio meter antenna display president Baofeng call Mobile 2023 frequency sign anytone 9900 chart software 2022 Mckinley ss9900
QRZ Database

skip poor conditions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-1079
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Walsall

skip poor conditions Empty
PostSubject: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 9:54 am

hi to all is it me or has the skip been very poor like eu stuff normally on mids is banging plus my lack of 108,29,68 division is not what i thought it would be like for july i know its hard to predict conditions but this seems more like the bottom of the cycle than the top end 
!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 362
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 10:08 am

Unfortunately Mark the Sun does both giveth and taketh away. Rolling Eyes

With multiple coronal mass ejections and high sunspot activity we often find the bands wiped out completely with noise or devoid of any activity whatsoever.....but there are moments during lulls where it comes back to what we expect.

Even the so called 'easy' modes such as FT8 on the Ham bands suffer abysmally and recently I faced a 'dead' band on 12m but then suddenly China came booming through and I bagged a contact before they disappeared once again. 

Sometimes it's just all about waiting for the fish to bite or Mother Nature lifting that skirt and flash us a bit of ankle now and then. Wink

All the best,
Victor

skipmaster and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
skipmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-1079
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Walsall

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 10:37 am

Thanks Victor for the reply ,i think by memory im looking back on some previous 70's and 80's cycles like we do reminisce of better days   cheers Mark Very Happy

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2024 11:01 am

I know what you mean Mark, solar cycle 21 in the late 70's early 80's was a brilliant spell for CB activity as well as radio activity overall and from what I hear from my older Ham brethren cycle 19 in the 50's to 60's was good too.

Wouldn't mind but I was hoping for more from this cycle and not too sure whether I'll make the next one! Wink Very Happy

Here's hoping the Radio Gods smile upon us and at least gives us a few good DX spells. skip poor conditions 1f44d 

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Lingfield
Equipment Used : CRT Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2024 9:01 am

As Victor has suggested it has been a rather unfortunate cycle thus far. Seemingly super active spots throwing out some of the wrong types of emissions.

I will throw this out there as well, in the UK at least a lot of people who may well have been on 11m may have moved to hams bands since getting their ham licence. Either digital or SSB with the increased power allowance. There may be a few less UK voices on 11m this cycle, though many will pop to 11m to see what happens. I have not been on 11m for quite a long while, at least not with serious DX intent.

Once you have done the slightly rarer ones on 11m the ham bands are where people go to get even more unusual countries.

Though that would not quite explain the lack of European contacts. Many of the close by Europeans will be coming in on Sporadic E and at best that is much more difficult to predict at any time than F2 layer charges. Although F2 layer has not been exactly easy to predict work these days either especially on 10m.

Just a bit of bad luck with what happens on the sun. We are all in the same boat.

Check as often as you can and see what pops up. Shame though as people are eager to fill their boots with contacts.

Just hold in your minds eye those amazing days where you key up and more stations that you can work at one time come back. Put in the time and I am sure it will happen this cycle.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2024 4:19 pm

Same could be said for cycle 21 as apart from the 'Covid Ham' expansion in more recent years the 1980's was the last explosion of newly licenced Amateur operators. Was still good for 11m activity though with a lot of UK operators. skip poor conditions 1f44d

There doesn't however seem to be the staying power anymore with the radio interest as can be seen on this very forum. Loads of operators start up, obtain call signs, full of enthusiasm and then when they don't get the DX contacts they believed were possible let it all fizzle out and sell up. (Some leave disappointed that they didn't gain local contacts either.)

Unfortunately as you mention there 'FreqFreak' (my apologies but you haven't given your name in your profile or on the forum) they will never experience that miraculous day when you generate a pile-up of your very own and are left ecstatic with the whole experience. Smile

We're in the doldrums with this cycle so far but there has been good snippets of activity inbetween so well worth anyone turning on that radio as often as they can. No point just listening either, if everyone else does the same the bands would be dead....give a shout out with a CQ and see what you get.

glenn dog and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 4:28 pm

Very dead here on North Finland for Eu Dxing, but 27.385, usb, Germany repeater coming over to me, but local Usb been a few good long range contacts

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Hiya Glenn mate, I hope you are keeping well. skip poor conditions 1f44d 

Yeah, been a bit rubbish again here today and yet once more I check the West of the UK webSDR's and they have more signals than here in the East. Rolling Eyes

If it wasn't for FT8 and the Ham bands I'd be bored stiff! Very Happy

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
madmax
madmax

Call Sign : 13-CT-139
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Neustadt, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900 v4, Gainmaster 5/8

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2024 10:35 pm

Hi to all.
This evening, I came across a very interesting call sign... 26CT000
We had a short conversation.
On Clusterdix, I found the following info:
Charlie Tango Club station 2024 on air
From the heart of Yorkshire
We Welcome calls from all operators

Locator: IO94TB.
Does anyone know what this is about? 
I don't remember anything similar being announced on the forum...  skip poor conditions 1f600

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: skip poor conditions   skip poor conditions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

skip poor conditions
Page 1 of 1