Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» EU conditions have started
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:05 pm by John123

» Call sign request
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:01 pm by John123

» Call sign forgotten it “Help” (Information Requested)
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:59 pm by John123

» Jopix CB-514 Handheld
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:57 pm by ste03

» HF Contacts 10m
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:30 am by Victor

» HF Contacts - 40m
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 am by Victor

» New Call Sign pls! (Issued)
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2024 11:31 pm by John123

» 11m conditions
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2024 11:27 pm by John123

» Stopsley Bob - Call Sign Request (Issued)
Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2024 1:20 pm by Stopsley Bob

Keywords
president display software Mckinley supply 2011 frequency anytone power 2024 lincoln ALINCO list yaesu 2022 Sirio callsign ss9900 sign meter 2023 antenna chart 9900 6900 call
QRZ Database

Is the midband enough

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

Is the midband enough Empty
PostSubject: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 10:10 am

I am just dipping my toe back into SSB and have a President Mckinley currently.

I am wondering from people's experience, is there enough activity on the midband to keep one happy. I know it is great for short skip / sporadic E and then later in the year hopefully we will hear the US once again. 

Is not having the freeband going to be an issue?

I am not worried about using the freeband frequencies necessarily however I enjoy QRP and would prefer to be legal really - guilt free conscience 😊

Thanks

Tony
26CT4488

glenn dog and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Wigston, Leicestershire.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1 Export, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 2:34 pm

The problem with midband is that everybody in the world is using it, and usually on FM and AM, if there is any SSB then you're less likely to hear it for the whistling from the other modes. You really need the 555's on the high band, that's mostly SSB so less interference and a lot more DX stations.

While it's not strictly 'legal', there doesn't seem to be any enforcement as long as you're not making a nuisance of yourself, so I wouldn't worry too much tbh. And QRP is fine but you'll be up against high power and beam aerials from some DX'ers so a little bit of fire up the wire won't hurt and will help a lot.

As for guilt free, well, everybody else does it don't they. If the radio looks legal then just deny it, if you want to DX then every little helps as they say. Not that I'd want to encourage illegal activity of course but if it's not hurting anyone then no real harm is done.

Les-1, glenn dog, Victor and Nightprowler like this post

Back to top Go down
Tony1091

PostSubject: Re: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeMon Aug 05, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your post - you make some very valid points and noise for SSB is a good reason to expand ones horizons. My most recent experience of the midband was mainly FM dx which was great fun however when I have reverted to SSB I have struggled with QRM from FM/AM as you have mentioned making it very difficult to hold QSO. I might just have to get the wire snips out!

Many thanks,

Tony
26CT4488

Victor and Mitch like this post

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2024 5:58 pm

Midland is ok with me.
I’ve stayed legal and because I like to go static mobile it’s all I’ve needed for my enjoyment.
I’ve had my MacKinley for years now.
No problems. !👍👀
Back to top Go down
Tony1091

PostSubject: Re: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeThu Aug 22, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi Tristar,
Thanks for your reply. I actually ended up selling my Mckinley. It was a nice radio and absolutely nothing wrong with it. I personally just preferred the look and controls on the new super star 3900. I bought second hand and have converted back from expanded to just the multi-norms and midband for SSB work. I have a terrible noise floor at home and the '555' was useless for me anyway. The midband is quieter noise wise and has been full of plenty of activity for me on FM and SSB so that's where I plan to spend my time. Hopefully not long now until the US are booming back into the UK. 73. Tony 26CT4488

Back to top Go down
Tristar
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Tristar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3771
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Weston-super-Mare
Equipment Used : CRT Millennium 3v hand sets, President Barry2

PostSubject: Re: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2024 5:28 pm

No problem Tony.
I’m glad you found what works for you.
Enjoy your radio !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the midband enough   Is the midband enough Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the midband enough
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Standard Multistandard CB Radio UK/EU/Multinorm-
Jump to: