Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:40 pm by John123

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 pm by Razz229

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:42 pm by Razz229

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:59 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:11 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
callsign frequency president call yaesu 9900 Mobile display 6900 antenna sign power supply 2023 Baofeng meter list chart ss9900 ALINCO lincoln software Mckinley anytone 2022 Sirio
QRZ Database

President McKinley power output

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
awake1

Call Sign : 26-CT-4221
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wirksworth
Equipment Used : President McKinley on base station. Thunderpole 5.

president - President McKinley power output Empty
PostSubject: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2021 12:05 pm

Good morning all, I've just set up with a McKinley rig in expanded mode. I've a question regarding power input and output. I've been told that power output in expanded mode is higher than otherwise would be. I assumed that expanded meant an increase in frequencies available, is there also an increase in the 4W and 12W power output?
I've metered the input current which reads for each modulation AM, FM, USB and LSB as follows:
Rx - 0.36, 0.37, 0.48 and 0.49 amp
Tx - 4.7, 6.2, 2.5, 3.5 amp

Do these look reasonable?

Any views are very welcome

Peter

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2021 5:57 pm

Yes it also increases power the output signigficantly to around 20-21W SSB and 26/27W FM. There are two separate adjuster pots for the power on each mode on the board, one for legal mode, one for expanded mode. I wound mine down on FM because I want it to last and a difference between 20W and 27W is barely recognisable on the S meter to the other end.

glenn dog and awake1 like this post

Back to top Go down
awake1

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for that Conor, it confirms what i've read. Strange that there's no mention of this in the user manual, such as it is. I'll take a look at the pots when I get a little more familiar with the rig. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2021 11:12 pm

There is mention of it in the service manual in the section for alignment procedures. It tells you how to set the radio up, what to adjust and what to set it at.

glenn dog and awake1 like this post

Back to top Go down
awake1

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Thanks once again Conor, I'll be looking at this manual.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 8:09 pm

The "export mode" adjustment procedures and adjustment points are  referred to as USB/LSB/FM/AM (RU) in the service manual procedures for setting up each mode.

Page 14 I believe:
https://simonthewizard.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/service-manuals_service-manual-mc-kinley-eu-gd-13-06-2019.pdf

AM is supposed to be 10W carrier with no modulation
FM is supposed to be 20W
LSB/USB is supposed to be 24W.

Mine was OK on LSB and USB, AM was 20W deadkey which results in the power meter swinging backwards when you talk and FM was at 27W. AM will not go down anywhere near 10W when adjusting it so it seems it will always "swing backwards" when talking in AM mode. Sounds OK though and I don't use it so not end of the world.
Back to top Go down
awake1

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 9:19 pm

You're a star Conor! OK, I may step the FM back a tad if I find the same thing although I expect that 27 watts isn't going to stress it too much it's best to be safe. Being where I am in the hills of Derbyshire I seem to be getting a ton of continental skip and not a hell of a lot from the UK. Having said that, I've had some really strong FM signals from not far away, so probably not skip.

LSB 30 to 40 are busy but mostly foreign stuff with some overflow into neighbouring channels so they're probably on amps.

Cool info Conor, thanks a bundle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley power output   president - President McKinley power output Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President McKinley power output
Page 1 of 1