Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
callsign 2023 list meter yaesu Mobile 2022 9900 display 2024 frequency ss9900 Mckinley anytone 6900 lincoln sign power antenna ALINCO Baofeng chart call software president Sirio
QRZ Database

Solent area non SSB net???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SierraOscar40
SierraOscar40

Call Sign : 26-CT-3739
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Southampton, Hampshire
Equipment Used : TTi TCB900, Thunderpole T2000 Maxcom 20E

Solent area non SSB net??? Empty
PostSubject: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2020 7:29 pm

So, I came back to CB! There has been some changes in the contact scene which I like, and seems parallel to a more correct communication procedure. However, where I live there is either a complete void on 19 or it is swamped by music players, dead keyer’s and general bucket mouthers running big burners. I am not fortunate enough to own an SSB rig yet so feel like I’m losing out. Is there a channel and time in the Solent area where we can generally try and get some local contacts without fancy gear?
Would be interested in hearing from anyone in the Solent area to see what you think? There is a lot I don’t yet understand about nets and repeaters etc... just a simple lad running simple gear but would like to get some legit use from it
73’s to all
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm not from the area but the UK CB net map shows 'The Solent Radio Club Net' running daily on Ch38 UKFM 27.79125MHz.
Don't know if this is still active but might be worth listening or calling out in case?
(Perhaps someone from that area or on that net can confirm?)

It can be a shock returning to CB, I know it was for me. It's definitely not like the old days that's for sure Wink
Unfortunately some aspects are the same, as you mention the bucket mouths and potential DJs. (Can't fathom why this still happens?!?!)
Even if you go Sideband you can still find the bad examples there as Sideband rigs are more readily available nowadays.

I know, doesn't sound good but often worth sticking with it if you're prepared to.

I've enjoyed Sideband as I'm lucky enough to own a radio with those capabilities, the summer DX has been good.
But the best DX I've had were some surprised young Germans on FM who were running simple rigs and barefoot enjoying practicing their English language skills with me Smile
It was lucky summer skip but held on for the evening long enough to be enjoyed by them and myself.

However....they were on Euro frequencies, not UK.

It might be worth a look at a modern CB that has both UK & EU frequencies, simple rigs with AM and FM modes are available for around £40. That's not a huge outlay and opens more possibilities. France isn't too far away from you! Wink

You might get suggestions of pursuing a Ham licence to further your radio interests and that's fair enough if you want to go that route. If the fun of CB is your main interest then it may require a little work.

You could get a friend interested and despite modern communication technology set a night aside for a CB transmission chat. Do it the same time on the same day of the week and maybe someone else will hear and pop in. That's how a lot of nets used to come about!

You might get a bucket mouth thinking they've found new victims but ignore them and stick with it. Let them get bored before you do and you'll be triumphant.

I can't think of much more to suggest really. I just know it's a crying shame to see people come back to CB, become disillusioned and give it up as a bad lot. I hope that doesn't happen for you.

All the best,
Victor

Pagan, SierraOscar40 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SierraOscar40
SierraOscar40

PostSubject: Re: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 6:26 am

Hi Victor,
Thanks for a great reply. I had heard it mentioned about ch38... just not heard any traffic.  I have a rig with the EU channels but what I found is the Polish truck and van drivers round here mainly use Polish channels and only speak Polish and I’ve not heard a peep on other channels!
Still,  you’re advice has given me hope that there is life out there... somewhere! 
I had also considered foundation licence.   The cost is ok just don’t really fancy  spending two whole sundays in a classroom.... maybe later
Thanks for the info and support

Regards
Mike

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 am

No worries Mike, glad it helped a little.

It's all too easy to dive back into the excitement of CB and be left a bit dispondent, as I mentioned that almost happened to me.

Luckily I regard it all as just another hobby, so if I'm in my office I fire up the radio and have a listen, if nothings going on I get on with other stuff. If I'm on my tablet I check out here on Charlie Tango and maybe fire up a webSDR for a listen, see if any propogation is in. I also pop on my phone every so often running webSDR again to check out radio propogation and if anything exciting is going on I rush as fast as my hobbly leg can carry me to fire up the radio Wink

It's all just another part of me and my interests, I keep a finger in and an ear on.

On the Ham/Amateur licence route remember it's all available online now.
Essex Ham do online courses, couple of hours a week for three weeks if you need the training. Or get a copy of the Foundation Licence Manual, (£5.89 at the mo on eBay including post), pretty much everything you'd need to know in there for the Foundation. Plus the exam is available online.
So long as you have a Windows PC or Apple, broadband internet and video call capabilities it couldn't get easier.
(Unfortunately not all of us own a Windows PC, Mac or other such so lost out, me included!)

Anyway mate, I wish you all the best with it and good luck with anything you do.

Best regards,
Victor
Back to top Go down
SierraOscar40
SierraOscar40

PostSubject: Re: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 7:22 am

Hi Victor, thanks again for the info.  I wasn't aware that the course and exam were available on line!  I know most things are these days so why I thought otherwise, heaven knows.  I will look into that ASAP
Also, I'm not fully understanding the web version of radio yet.  I have found Broadcastify, and have listened to some chatter on there but I assume access to this is licence only?

Thanks again
Mike

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2020 9:20 am

No problem Mike,

Lockdown pushed ahead the online exams and Essex Ham have offered online courses for some time now.
An advantage of the online exam is that the practical assessments have been dropped due to social distancing issues. I think you can now even take the Intermediate exam too! Smile

Most web based radio are receive only, I believe there are some transmission ones but obviously you'd need to be licenced for transmit.

I use weSDR for listening, the link is as follows -

websdr.org

You can simply scroll down the list of active sites/receivers, search by country, bands or frequencies or scroll to the bottom for an interactive world map. You can get a flavour of the Ham bands around the world, HF, VHF, UHF and even satellite reception, plus many cover CB frequencies too.

I tend to use the G0XBU site often, you'll get a flavour of the local bucket mouths on UK 19 up there, but it also covers the EU bands as well as the inbetween freebanding frequencies, (SSB triple 5 etc.) Useful for checking if any propogation is in.

You could get lost in that site for hours, I know I did at first! Wink

Anyway Mike, I think I've left you with enough to chew on for now. Been a pleasure Smile

All the best,
Victor

SierraOscar40 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solent area non SSB net???   Solent area non SSB net??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Solent area non SSB net???
Page 1 of 1