Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 33cm on 934 MHz anyone ?
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeToday at 5:21 pm by GaryWilson

» Introduction and request for Call Sign
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeToday at 10:32 am by WKseHqKWpuJe

» Trying to remember an old mic brand.
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeToday at 9:47 am by The_Theramist

» CT Call Sign
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 pm by firstie

» CT call sign please
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Philip J Halton

» New member request from a maritime mobile
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:24 pm by John123

» New Member call sign request.
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:48 am by The_Theramist

» 10 year AM / SSB anniversary net 27th June 2024
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:10 am by glenn dog

» HF Contacts 10m
Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:50 am by SangueG

Keywords
Baofeng display call Mckinley Sirio anytone ss9900 list 6900 2024 software 2023 chart antenna Mobile 9900 president lincoln ALINCO meter callsign yaesu frequency sign 2022 power
QRZ Database

Paper Logbooks

Go down 
+9
The Doctor
Mitch
tigersaw
Pagan
43CT016
GaryWilson
Sydthecat
NUBSTER
Victor
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone out there use a paper based radio logbook at all?

I know it all sounds a bit 'pipe & slippers', old fashioned if you will and I know for UK Hams not a legal requirement for some time. I've also seen many of the logging software solutions available to Hams and commend them, but I'm after something a bit more 'physical'.

Years ago I kept SWL (Short Wave Listening) logs and you used to be able to buy specific books for such tasks, proper hard bound items. I started logging around the age of 11 and wish they had withstood the passage of time as they contained logs of long lost stations and transmissions.

I'd like to start one again, especially as I'm currently undertaking my Amateur licence progression. 
I've promised a very old friend of mine, a Ham that gifted me a radio and initially pushed me back into radio interests, that he will be my very first radio contact on the Amateur bands. I'd like to honour that moment by placing him as my very first logbook entry in physical form. My grandchildren are also fascinated with my radio adventures and it would be a joy to see them thumbing through my logbooks.

I know I won't be a 'contester', not knocking it but collecting 5/9s and Maidenhead squares is not my thing, I'm more about interesting QSOs and conversation for my radio interests so a paper system is ideal for me. Personally I'd keep a log of all my radio interests, CB, Ham, SWL and testing logs.

After extensive searching of the old t'internet I've been left a little dispondent with my search for logbooks. Awful spiral bound affairs and paperback types pushed by the usual sellers and providers are everywhere. Helpful people have made available logbook pdf's, but again not what I'm exactly after.

So if anyone keeps a paper log, knows someone who keeps one, or any idea of decent hardbound notebook for such a task I would be really grateful for any input.

Long winded question I know, (me? waffle? Wink), but hopefully I'll get specific responses for what I'm after.

Google failed me, two heads are better than one and I know you are all a helpful bunch here on Charlie Tango. Smile

All the best,
Victor

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Martin,
I used to keep a paper log when I first started CB too! Smile The QSL card collecting sort of took over the logbook as there were fantastic cards back in the day, pieces of folk art in themselves. All lost, moving houses, divorce, all that cr*p Sad
With a good solar cycle and plenty using CB back then it was a unique point in history.

Logging is much more efficient nowadays and I suppose handy for most but I'm striving for that good old fashioned logbook again. There's some terrible examples out there nowadays, (spiral binds etc. I mentioned), and a lot of the apparently better notebooks are over priced 'arty-farty' affairs. 
I'm waiting on a couple of quotes for stitched and bound notebooks but expecting to choke on me false gnashers at what prices face me Razz I even hunted out old style ledger books to handwrite my own logging details but hitting a dead end there too.

I'll get there.

All the best mate.

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 10:29 pm

Hi Victor 

The Rsgb paper log book is excellent and can be found here  

RSGB Transmitting Logbook https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/187230978X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6nvvFbF18WSQT

Also can be found actually on the Rsgb web site and there is even a discount for members 

I personally log most of my ham contacts on QRZ .com  which is excellent 

Craig

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi Craig,

Cheers for that. The RSGB logbook was on my shortlist for the size and overall quality but only let down by the spiral binding.
I did find cover cases for spiral bound books but weirdly not for that particular size. Still, it's a good logbook, especially for the price.

Yeah, QRZ and the like are very good facilities. Still find it freaky when someone gets a contact and they get told when they were last spoke to with dates, times, frequency and signal reports all logged and instantly pulled from a callsign. Freaky hearing it as a SWL let alone if it was my contact!  Shocked

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Victor

NUBSTER likes this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 368
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 6:05 am

Paper logs? So last century!!!   lol!

Seriously I don't keep any 11 meter logs any more  and quite often forget to update QRZ.com  Rolling Eyes

73's Gary.

NUBSTER and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 6:28 am

Hee! Very Happy I know Gary, hence my pipe & slippers mention. Wink

I've had the same reaction when emailing or telephoning about for logbooks.
But then some still have written diaries, you can still ride a steam train and a Parker or Schaeffer pen usually appears in my Christmas stocking. Think I was born 50 years too late! Very Happy

Cheers mate,
Victor

GaryWilson likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 7:32 am

I went to see what our local equivalent of the RSGB might have, and they only offer the ARRL one, which is much the same as the RSGB one.

https://www.arrl.org/shop/Amateur-Radio-Logbook

So, I think you're going to struggle, short of having one of these re-bound and re-covered..you could go the whole way and cover it in leather with your new callsign!

Personally (and I know it isn't what you asked for or what you want), I use N1MM (Plus VK Contest Logger for local contests) as I am hopeless at keeping paper, and also like the fact they can talk to the radio and hence auto-enter the frequency, time, etc. which is a Godsend.

I then just export and pop it into QRZ every so often.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 8:09 am

Hi Jeff,

How are you doing? Thanks for your input on this one, much appreciated.

Never thought it would be this much of a struggle to be honest, but as with everything it's not until you start looking into these things that you find out. I have started diversifying in my search and looking at alternatives such as ledgers, guestbooks and such and might be getting somewhere with it all. I've even found a book dealer in Scotland that has some unused 1950's ledger books but gonna keep that one under my hat as it's limited stock Wink

Cheers again and all the best to you there down under,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Pagan
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Pagan

Call Sign : 26CT2069
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Pendle, Lancashire
Equipment Used : CRT-SS9900

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 am

Hi Victor....this is what I use for SWL logging. I got this from my local W.H.Smith about 10 years ago but I think they still sell them. This one is 8.5" x 12" (or approx. 22 x 30 cm if you "speak metric") but they usually have various sizes available.

Paper Logbooks 4qpNfKih
Paper Logbooks AgcXH4Ph

Victor and The Doctor like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 9:59 am

Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for your contribution, it all helps Smile

That's a lovely looking log regardless of the actual book, nice to see careful lining and neat entries. Something to be proud of and wonderful to look back on.

After getting back some horrendous prices on the books I found I'm now looking about for more commonly available hard backed books. Will just have to do some neat lining and titling for myself much as you have shown here. 

Yep, too old to speak metric and always makes it fun when shopping around for stuff! Very Happy

Cheers again.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
tigersaw
tigersaw

Call Sign : 163-CT-256 GW6RRL
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Llanwrtyd Wells Powys
Equipment Used : CRT7900, FT891, FT818, Pro3

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 2:46 pm

I used this one for a while;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ham-Radio-Station-Log-Book/dp/1466395265

Though I don't keep any logs now, I'll let the other end do that!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Wigston, Leicestershire.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1 Export, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Amazon have quite a selection by the looks of it:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Ham+Radio+Station+Log+Book&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Hi Dave,

Cheers for that.
This was one of the items I had come across on my original searches and looks like it could fill many people's needs. I'm still hunting around for hardback thick book and may have found what I'm looking for in London's art suppliers, (without being so flipping expensive!)

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy keeping a paper log during a pileup or DX competition! Very Happy

Luckily for me I'm more of the slow going QSO type, (not quite 80m medical ailments slow going), so a paper log will do me fine. Scribble down details on a jotter, then write down afterwards in a log. Old fashioned, but very easy going.

Thanks again,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi Paul,

Yep, loads available on Amazon but unfortunately all thin paperback types. Just that I have a personal penchants for an old fashioned hardback log Wink

Thanks anyway.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Contributor
Contributor
The Doctor

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Uniden

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 pm

I still keep a log, albeit on paper in a small folder. Otherwise I forget names and what frequencies I meet people on!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Contributor
Contributor
The Doctor

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Uniden

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Another way is to print the lines / columns from Excel and then put in a ring binder

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Knig

Call Sign : 137-CT-006 MD7KNE
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Isle of Man
Equipment Used : Icom 7100, Pres McKinley

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 12:05 am

Hi Victor, you could try LJ Yacht and Commercial Services http://www.rhumblinesolutions.co.uk/ . 

They do custom logs to your spec.

The cost, bloody expensive!! Off the shelf ships radio log is £90 list price although available from Stanfords for £60. Goodness knows what the custom job goes for.

Nigel

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 6:30 am

Hi Rory,

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. Again, not quite what I was after but good ideas nonetheless Smile

All the best,
Victor

Last edited by Victor on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 6:55 am

Hi Nigel,

Ah, now we're talking! Wink

Ship/yacht log books were one idea I looked at and as you've pointed out, they're erm, a bit expensive! (You get that dry throat, unable to speak moment when unexpected prices come back at ya!)

I had also looked around at pilot logs and came to the same conclusion that expensive 'hobbies' have expensive accessories Wink

I think I may have found the solution with, rather simply after all this, 'A4 Landscape Notebooks'. 

Most art suppliers carry such items, usually as blank field sketch books although I have found ruled notebook versions. Just the job, hard bound, lay flat, roomy books with a library cover finish so should stand up to general handling. At a mere £10 - £15 the price is just about right for the quality, they're usually acid free archival quality too.

I could go the whole hog, 180g paper, leather bound and have custom hot foil or leaf pressed titling.....for surprisingly not much more cost. Rather ostentatious though! Very Happy

Cheers Nigel, much appreciated.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 151
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 1:13 pm

I still like to use a paper log-book.👍 There is still something satisfying about thumbing through them, when you have a spare moment.🙂

It is the same with magazines and books too.  I would always choose hardcopy over looking at a screen.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Nice one John! 👍

Glad to see others enjoy the same thing. 
Me too regards books, nothing quite like simply turning a page and so easy on the eyes Smile

John123 likes this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 151
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2020 12:44 am

A proper book is Definitely easier on the old mince pies, Victor.👍

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 12:40 am

Not had a paper log since 1995 at home. Out  /P then yes paper log but then transferred to P.C logbook.
Mark.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 am

Hi Mark,

Yep, loads pointing out they don't keep a paper log at all or anymore but I had some good suggestions. Enough to enable me to find a paper logbook solution for my own needs. I definitely wouldn't want to keep a paper log for a contest(!)

Cheers,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paper Logbooks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paper Logbooks   Paper Logbooks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paper Logbooks
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: General Chat-