Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Request callsign....
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:42 pm by 53 Prefect

» Yes, I am still breathing.
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:36 pm by 53 Prefect

» 1/2 wav or 5/8 wav
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:35 pm by Des Collier

» My New CB Radio YouTube channel.
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 6:31 pm by 53 Prefect

» Call Sign Application
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 4:10 pm by Robert Martin

» Which handheld
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 12:58 pm by GhostRider

» Activity around Portsmouth UK
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:48 am by GhostRider

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:49 pm by SangueG

» CW sidesweeper, new project
gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:13 pm by karelgol

Keywords
antenna lincoln yaesu supply meter 2023 power Mckinley callsign display anytone ALINCO president Baofeng software 2022 list sign ss9900 Mobile chart call frequency 9900 6900 Sirio
QRZ Database

Gainmaster.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Troystan66

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Wimborne
Equipment Used : Grant 2

gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Empty
PostSubject: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2021 6:51 pm

Hi everyone. I expect this is a old question but have sirio improved the gain master in respect of snapping in highish winds? I’m looking at retiring the cheepy silver rod that’s somewhat bent and old that messes around with the swr on a regular basis. I’m only putting it up just over the guttering on the corner of the house but guying would be a problem. Got a few pine trees close by to. Thinking about a sirio 2016 instead. Imput welcome. Thanks.

Mrfixit likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 am

I put one up last year the 1/2 wave and was advised to guy it witch was a bit of a problem but got 3 lines on it but not at equal angles and a pole with some flex in it about 15ft ground to base.
But recently somebody local to me has put one on his chimney 2 story house and short pole no guy's and it is still up and we overlook the Irish sea and never get a breeze.
So the new ones could well be better.
When i was about to put mine up i was told to put a bit of tape on the pole before sliding it together and putting the jubilee clip on to take any slack out of the joint but i couldn't as it was a tight fit without any.

Troystan66 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2021 1:32 pm

Mine been up for 2 years now and has done very well in winds and down to -27 at the home location with snow storms and wet snow, then freezing to it adding a bit of extra weight to it , very happy with it, have a A99 at a location in North of Finland and that has done very well here in Finland.

Troystan66 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 7:54 am

Ive ordered one of these, from our friends in Lincolnshire, then I went and found the Manual on line, looks like you have to build it yourself. Smile my other concern is its length, I have a dodgy neighbour who will look for any excuse but don't think he will pay the fees asked by OFcom to investigate. All my neighbours have Sky Dishes so less chance of trouble there methinks? My EFHW longwire is hardly visible but not brilliant at 11m Cheers
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 pm

had the gainmaster up at 8m to the base for a year now. All self supporting, no problem's.5/8 is a bit of a beast and will move around in the wind. I've got good neighbours that helps. Got a ham friend, with many antennas in a small garden, when asked if he has problems with the neighbours, he replied slow and steady and nobody notices one more lol
regards
mark
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 9:22 am

Well its arrived, very quick dispatch from our friends in Lincolnshire (dah dit dah), now WX is advising Thunderstorm with possible lightening and heavy rain here today so looks like will have to wait to erect? looking outside atm you wouldn't think so the sun is cracking the flags Cool

gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Img_0913

Last edited by BAREFOOT on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Getting my words corrected)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 9:50 am

Fantastic bit of kit,I do love a Sirio antenna for a decent bit of DX.Wait until tomorrow to start putting it up it’s meant to be a better day.I just made the mistake of taking my Sirio GPE down for some general maintenance,Make sure everything is clean and waterproofed and nice ahd tight..lol
That was last Wednesday and I only just managed to get it all back up in the air yesterday morning before the heavens opened.5 bloody days due to our great British summertime weather.😆
Give it a day that blue sky is deceiving and I’ve had enough damp clothing to last a life time.
Cheers Tom.
26 CT 4029
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 10:36 am

When you do get to putting it together just fix the brass bit on the end as is.
They are normally pretty good for SWR as they come.
When i got mine i kept looking at the instructions (strange for me) but then just put it up.

Edit,, If the joints feel a bit slack when you slot them together put a bit of tape round them to get a good tight fir.
If you just tighten them up with the jubilee clip they can crack over time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2021 10:54 am

Alan Pilot wrote:

Edit,, If the joints feel a bit slack when you slot them together put a bit of tape round them to get a good tight fir.
If you just tighten them up with the jubilee clip they can crack over time.

Cheers Alan, good advice, ye must admit first time I've had Fibreglass/plastic joints tightened with Jubilee clips , plenty of Silver Rods etc in aluminium
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 5:43 pm

Well the best laid plans of mice and men??!! Put it all together and held its in place where it was going to be installed and Its a "MASSIVE BEAST,"  Blowing around in a slight breeze.! no way of fitting any guying ropes.

So its a no-go for an antenna this high at this qth:(, re-packed and having to throw it on Fleabay, hoping to re-coup funds??  Radio is always a learning curve?!

Last edited by BAREFOOT on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added further info)
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Thought i was seeing things looking through adverts on the bay.
I had the problem with guying could only get 3 lines on it and not equal at that.
It stood up better than i expected.
Then i noticed some guy not far from my qth put one on his chimni no guying and it is still there and we are overlooking the Irish sea with some winds never a breeze and it is still up a year on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Thought i was seeing things looking through adverts on the bay.
It is mine Alan, had a frustrated approach to selling it, wasn't gonna do all kinds of pics, as its definitely Box open, not used?? 

Can't deliver to Anglesey though sorry lol!

Cheers Tony
Back to top Go down
Sgt Bilko
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sgt Bilko

Call Sign : 108 ct 302 - mm0ibe
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Prestonpans. East Lothian
Equipment Used : SS9900

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 7:26 am

gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Gainma10

This is mine on the chinmey for 2 years. If you build it correctly then tape up all the joints there should be no problems.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 am

Tony
They are stronger than you think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Tony
They are stronger than you think.
Hi Alan,
Ye I know, it wasn't just worrying about the strength, it was waiving over into next door and she's just had a new roof. I live right on top of the hill, so take off is great, just need to get rid of all the neighbours to have the perfect QTH for Radio,

never mind for now I've just thrown up a EFW tuned to 27.555 to try get the lads at the Bash, 

back to the drawing, may have to opt for a A99 as its shorter, will weigh up after the weekend, my condition as such stops me being able to concentrate, so need the rest up and start again on Monday Sleep
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Just a thought Tony
I had this up when i first came back to radio and only took it down as it came with a damage to it that let water get in.
Not that long (14'3") and stood up well in the wind plus i found it worked quite well.
Sigma 2011 Skip Master 5/8 wave 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gainmaster.    gainmaster - Gainmaster.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gainmaster.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: