Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by SangueG

» EU conditions have started
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
meter list power sign Baofeng Mckinley 9900 lincoln 6900 display president ss9900 yaesu Sirio ALINCO antenna frequency call chart Mobile anytone supply software 2022 callsign 2023
QRZ Database

Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please

Go down 
+2
Sydthecat
26uk81
6 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Empty
PostSubject: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2021 1:15 am

Just purchased a 2012 Nissan X Trail and absolutely love the car.   Thought however have now moved to getting my radio set up.   On my Avensis I had a nightmare getting SWR down and RF feedback issues with a mag mount so took the nuclear option and drilled the roof.   Never had any trouble after that.   This option is not available on this car as it has a "panoramic" sunroof.   There is however plenty of metal towards the rear of the vehicle.

I thought about using a boot lip mount, however there isn't actually a lip as such, rather a wide profile which such a mount would not be able to clamp on to.   As I see it I have two options.    Either:

Copy this installation as featured on the X trail forum https://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/rover220coupe/CBMountnocover_zps4cb1caf4.jpg I don't have a spare mount to modify as this guy did but I could probably knock something up using a galvanised steel strap of some kind, or I could try a magmount.  I have looked at the Watson triple mount system that Nevada sell.   Using mag mount would put the antenna in a better position, but the roof bar mount job would give it better grounding potentially.   

Would love to hear from anyone who has installed antennas on an X Trail or similar.
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

Call Sign : 2E0VRX
Times Thanked : 46
QTH or Location : Yorkshire dales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FTdx 101d, MD200 mic ,Mosley 3ele Yagi

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi Chris 

I have a Qashqai which also has the large sunroof , I just mounted a Sirio 145 mag mount on the only bit of metal right @ the rear and have had no problems with the SWR on either my 2m twig or my 10m / 11m twig 

Radios used are a Yaesu 891 and a Yaesu ftm400 

Everything works a treat 

Craig

Victor and 26uk81 like this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2021 1:16 am

Sydthecat wrote:
Hi Chris 

I have a Qashqai which also has the large sunroof , I just mounted a Sirio 145 mag mount on the only bit of metal right @ the rear and have had no problems with the SWR on either my 2m twig or my 10m / 11m twig 

Everything works a treat 

Craig

Hi Craig

Thanks for this reply.   I too have a Sirio 145 PL mag mount and am getting a decent enough SWR and good radio reports on it.   This is the same mount which I just could not get to work on my old car (Toyota Avensis).   On my previous vehicle I had no end of grounding issues, high SWR and RF feedback squeals etc.   I ended up installing a drill mount on the Avensis and never had any problems since;  however, not an option on this car as mechanism for sunroof is likely to get in the way.   I have experimented with using a mirror mount on the roof bar mount similar to the picture attached but could not get a decent ground.  I have decided to stick with the mag mount which seems to work well and allows me to have the antenna in a close to centre position.  The only trouble I had was that my antennas were all too short due to trimming down for the Avensis, but fortunately I managed to earhole some old mobile antennas off a mate to prove the mag mount is working OK.    It's also quite interesting to glance up through the sun roof and see how much the antenna is bending whilst going along;   the old springer I have been using was bent pretty much 90 degrees at 50mph!     I now have a Sirio 5000PL coming.   At the moment I am temporarily using a nasty coax shut in door install, but I have found a nice ridge along side roof rails to nestle the coax cable in, and I should be able to feed it into a gap on the edge of the boot door and in via a grommet.   I will also be replacing the now squished RG58 from the 145 mount with some RG8X.   I'll try and post a few pics when done.

I'm not sure what the setup is on the Qashqai, but on the dash above the satnav / entertainment screen there is a little storage compartment which my CRT 6900N just about wedges into.   I am going to look towards replacing with a 9900 which will fit more tidily.  

I must say I am really enjoying this car so far.  I know it's not a "proper" offroader and I'm not expecting it to go up Ben Nevis, but I've already enjoyed a bit of mild green-laning and this car will be ideal for hill-tpping.   It absolutely p*sses over tracks which had me worried (and frequently sump scraping) in my old car.    Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
53 Prefect
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
53 Prefect

Call Sign : VA3XUK & G6ZGU
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Oro Medonte, Ontario
Equipment Used : Icom, Kenwood, Uniden, Stalker

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2021 6:19 pm

antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Aaaaan13
Take off one of the rear lights. bend up a bracket. drill 2 small holes in body work behind light cluster. Rivet on bracket.  Replace light cluster.  When you sell. NO holes to see! Works great. Done it a a few cars.

trik, Victor and keithgriffin1962 like this post

Back to top Go down
stephen Gunrunner
Major contributor
Major contributor
stephen Gunrunner

Call Sign : 26CT526/MR021/M6XXX.
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : wooler north northumberland or some were near it
Equipment Used : mobile 4000hp base A99 radio base magnum257hp mobile magnum 257 standed power

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2021 7:31 pm

26uk81 wrote:
Sydthecat wrote:
Hi Chris that big antenna the sirio 5000 will neede a good mag mount, i use a tri mag on mine and nothing moves at 120 mph, do not have that car now the octavia was a beast, its that good a mag i have trouble getting off, if you get the mag that goes with antenna, there is tin foil that comes the mag use it it helps the ground plain,hope you get sorted.

Everything works a treat 

Craig

Hi Craig

Thanks for this reply.   I too have a Sirio 145 PL mag mount and am getting a decent enough SWR and good radio reports on it.   This is the same mount which I just could not get to work on my old car (Toyota Avensis).   On my previous vehicle I had no end of grounding issues, high SWR and RF feedback squeals etc.   I ended up installing a drill mount on the Avensis and never had any problems since;  however, not an option on this car as mechanism for sunroof is likely to get in the way.   I have experimented with using a mirror mount on the roof bar mount similar to the picture attached but could not get a decent ground.  I have decided to stick with the mag mount which seems to work well and allows me to have the antenna in a close to centre position.  The only trouble I had was that my antennas were all too short due to trimming down for the Avensis, but fortunately I managed to earhole some old mobile antennas off a mate to prove the mag mount is working OK.    It's also quite interesting to glance up through the sun roof and see how much the antenna is bending whilst going along;   the old springer I have been using was bent pretty much 90 degrees at 50mph!     I now have a Sirio 5000PL coming.   At the moment I am temporarily using a nasty coax shut in door install, but I have found a nice ridge along side roof rails to nestle the coax cable in, and I should be able to feed it into a gap on the edge of the boot door and in via a grommet.   I will also be replacing the now squished RG58 from the 145 mount with some RG8X.   I'll try and post a few pics when done.

I'm not sure what the setup is on the Qashqai, but on the dash above the satnav / entertainment screen there is a little storage compartment which my CRT 6900N just about wedges into.   I am going to look towards replacing with a 9900 which will fit more tidily.  

I must say I am really enjoying this car so far.  I know it's not a "proper" offroader and I'm not expecting it to go up Ben Nevis, but I've already enjoyed a bit of mild green-laning and this car will be ideal for hill-tpping.   It absolutely p*sses over tracks which had me worried (and frequently sump scraping) in my old car.    Very Happy Cool
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Just following on with some install pics of my Yaesu 891 into the Qashqai 

I made a wooden wedge for the head mount which fitted nice n snug into the small recess in front of gear stick, main 891 unit went under the passenger seat , small Yaesu speaker into cup holder, Sirio 145 onto mag mount 

Everything works a treat 

antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please C8379d10
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please 570f4d10
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please 5c61dd10

29CT063 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 3:17 pm

The Sirio 145  what bands will it work.
Take it the 891 has a tuner built in ???.
Only asking as i have been thinking of going mobile and have that same aerial somewhere never used well can't remember if i used it.
Back to top Go down
Sydthecat
CT Directors
CT Directors
Sydthecat

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Hi Alan 

The sirio 145 covers all of 11m and the lower part of 10m band, up to 28.500 , it’s a cracking antenna and I prefer it’s shorter whip length due to the fact it hits less trees than the hp4000 

The 891 doesn’t have a tuner but to be honest it’s never been a problem as always use resonant antennas for the band I want to use , 891 is a real bang for buck rig and is a absolute bargain 

Craig

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
29CT063

Call Sign : 29-CT-063
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Cork Ireland
Equipment Used : crt ss9900 with anton99

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2021 9:39 am

Sydthecat wrote:
Just following on with some install pics of my Yaesu 891 into the Qashqai 

I made a wooden wedge for the head mount which fitted nice n snug into the small recess in front of gear stick, main 891 unit went under the passenger seat , small Yaesu speaker into cup holder, Sirio 145 onto mag mount 

Everything works a treat 

Like the setup in qashqai. I have a little recess in front of gear stick in juke . Never thought of putting the ss9900 cb there. Nice one 👍
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please C8379d10
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please 570f4d10
antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please 5c61dd10

keithgriffin1962 and Savwafare10 like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please   antenna - Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nissan X trail antenna mount ideas please
Page 1 of 1