Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

President Grant III? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
President Grant III? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
call meter callsign 2023 9900 anytone supply ss9900 power 6900 Sirio software yaesu sign 2022 lincoln list Baofeng Mckinley president display Mobile ALINCO chart frequency antenna
QRZ Database

President Grant III?

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
john10001
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john10001

Call Sign : 26-CT-4829
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Leeds
Equipment Used : President Bill II

President Grant III? Empty
PostSubject: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 10:26 am

The President Grant II was a fine looking radio. How often do these products get updated and refreshed? Are we likely to see a Grant III anytime soon? Or does it not work like that? Do they cycle through all the first names of US presidents first? That does seem a strange naming convention for a French company by the way?

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2021 4:45 pm

I have a new Grant-II sat on the shelf in the box un-modified as it came out of the factory UK legal.
Did have the Grant-II Premium but sold that on.
Very good radio but they sometimes update them and they turn out not as good well i think so.

Last edited by Alan Pilot on Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

rabbi and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Some interesting questions, which I don't think I can really give the answers to for the main part. What I can tell you though is that there was a huge gap of many years between the Grant and Grant II, and also the between the Lincoln and Lincoln II. I wouldn't of thought we would see III models of those for quite a while.

I don't know if they circle all the names in order, but I might be wrong. Never seen a Washington II for example (though it might exist). I did have a 27/81 Washington once, but even though it was a different mode and frequency set than the original, don't think that counted as a II.. think it was just a Uniden 300 with a Washington front and chrome knobs. Also seen a few Presidents with names that are definitely not US Presidents.

Just a side note, there are/were a spattering of Vice President CBs too, but they were nothing to do with President. I had a baby one of those a Roy.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
john10001

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 10:45 pm

That's a shame as it seems like the Grant II is discontinued unless they are bringing out a v7 of it or something. I really like the layout of the Grant II and that it is fairly compact at just over 1kg in weight. I'm not liking the look of the McKinley as much. I like the CRT 6900N but for the fact that it is a Heffalump. 

It seems crazy that there is a big gap between new versions because I get the impression that a lot of people seem to be getting involved in radio for the first time or coming back to the hobby and there is a lot of demand with prices of equipment increasing quite a bit although that could also be due to the economic situation and inflation as well.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 3:08 pm

hi i bought a used grant 2 the legal version i had a contact into germany and another on the old 27 81 fm part into bristol a few year ago ok but still has the bad languge and threating abuse in my area any way i sold it for 100 quid i am glad i have a full ham licence good luck in what ever radio you do 73s paul m0kbd stay safe do radio
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2021 8:16 pm

They brought out the McKinley which covers everything the Grant II did so I doubt we'll see one.

Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2021 3:23 am

rabbi wrote:
 still has the bad languge and threating abuse in my area

I reckon that problem would be global, that carry-on spoils the skip every time in Australia. Most of the stupidity seems to come from our East Coast (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane ect) I might consider a beam, they'd be behind me most of the time then.

Looking on Ebay, I see there's lots of "President's" now.
Mostly 10m, AM and FM radios. 
President Bill, President Walker, president Lincoln, President Richard, President Ronald,
I'm yet to see if they're all from the same manufacturer.

For some reason I prefer a more classic looking radio with minimal digital features, most of the modern digi ones just don't do it for me, probably due to having bad experiences in radio programming and having too many functions that I don't use.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
john10001

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Northern Crusader wrote:
They brought out the McKinley which covers everything the Grant II did so I doubt we'll see one.

Yeah. I've been looking at the McKinley but I don't like it as much. The Grant II had the bigger LCD and the buttons and mic input were in better places. I think the McKinley is mostly for mobile use.

I have emailed President to ask them if there will be a new product to replace the Grant II. The European office didn't respond to me so I have contacted the US email address instead as I've heard good reviews from Americans about President US customer service so we'll see on that but the European, at least French doesn't seem to be up to much.

I may have to settle for the McKinley if nothing else is on the way.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
john10001

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 9:37 pm

UPDATE

Well, I got a response from President US to my email within 44 minutes! The Americans are right that they do have great customer service over their side of the pond.

They confirm they don't have any plans for a Grant III at least not at the moment or any time soon it seems but they did mention the McKinley so it's looking like that is what I may go with.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President Grant III?   President Grant III? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President Grant III?
Page 1 of 1