Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeToday at 7:59 am by Victor

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
meter frequency lincoln 9900 Baofeng sign list ss9900 Sirio 6900 yaesu power antenna callsign display anytone software ALINCO 2024 2022 2023 Mobile president call chart Mckinley
QRZ Database

Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
Alamo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Alamo

Call Sign : 26-CT-4082
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Stockton On Tees
Equipment Used : Thunderpole T3000

Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Empty
PostSubject: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 9:13 am

Can i ask for your opinions on my problem. I have erected a 2 metre post in my garden and attached to that is new 1/2 wave silver rod.

My problem is that I am getting huge amounts of white noise and have to use the Squelch upto 70 % to silence.

I go through the swr readings as per the instructions and on  channels 1 / 20 and 40  the calibration is set .

However  when I switch to reflected,   the needle bottoms out and I get a reading of zero on all three channels.

Could it be where I iive and the aspect of the buildings ?
I am using 10 metres of RG58 connected to a new Thunderpole 2000.

I have included images if the can help with any diagnosis... All help appreciated AlamoNewbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. End_vi10Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Side_v10
Back to top Go down

Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 9:43 am

BUT, if it was me, the first step would be to rule out your aerial by using another one.

Plug in a borrowed mobile aerial.
DON'T TRANSMIT unless you can SWR the borrowed aerial.

Or, PROVIDED YOU DON'T TRANSMIT AT ALL, poke a long insulated wire into the aerial socket and dangle that out of the window. (Did i mention DON'T TRANSMIT!!!!!)

If the noise is locally generated, you'll still hear it.

If this is a new setup, how are you powering it?
IF you are using a power pack, that may be the source of your noise.

Is the noise channel specific?
Is it there the whole time?
Are there any industrial units near you?
Overhead power lines, pumping stations?
Loads of florescent lights in a house or shop near you?
Some down lighters use a SWPSU as do some desktop PC's. BOTH can generate a LOT of wide band electrical noise.

If you've got someone with a handheld or car, and they can also hear the noise, using the S meter and the RF gain plus squelch, go and find the source.

Good Luck
Paul
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 11:02 am

If you could get the aerial up on the side of the house you might do better same pole with T&K brackets.
And as above so many things phone chargers as well cause all the white noise just a case of finding it.
Maybe a choke at the bottom of the aerial might help have a search on here about that.

Alamo likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Hi Alan.
As was just pointed out to me by Victor(3228).
Watch out for planning law and how far over the roof line the twiggie tip is above it.
Back to top Go down
Alamo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 8:16 pm

Thanks Paul, Victor I am sure is right. I put up the antenna just to get it working. I was like an excited child at Christmas. The antenna is in my back garden. I Bought a barratt town house nine years ago. The house has three floors so the ridge of the roof is 43 foot. That said I put up a two foot high fence in the front garden last year and the planning people told me to take it down or be fined. So I think Victor is right. Might have to apply....😪
Back to top Go down
Alamo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2021 8:18 pm

You were right, I Bought a cheap Chinese power supply and when I changed it there was a huge improvement....It's going back to Amazon....
Back to top Go down
Markone
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Markone

Call Sign : 26-CT-3433
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Hull
Equipment Used : Midland Alan 88s + crt 9900+5/8 gain master

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2021 9:38 am

hi Alan, just a thought, do you or a close neighbour have a plasma tv, these give out so much interference its unbelievable.
take care
mark 26ct3433

Alamo likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alamo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2021 10:38 am

Thanks Mark. Never thought of that... I will check... Thank you...👍
Back to top Go down
Sonofglyndwr

Call Sign : 163-CT-275
QTH or Location : Blaenau Ffestiniog
Equipment Used : President Grant 2

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 4:34 pm

All manner of modern electronic goods seem to cause this white noise. When I came back to CB after 39 years I was astounded by the amount of interference. I had to drive my Defender to a spot away from houses and telephone lines and there was still some noise then. It might be coming from the telephone cable near your house? Gareth.

SangueG likes this post

Back to top Go down
JRP1131
JRP1131

Call Sign : 26CT3361 // 161SJ256
QTH or Location : Southampton
Equipment Used : IC-7300 // Sirio Dipole SD27,

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 5:07 pm

I also had a terrible noise,
the reason was the computer power supply, the computer turned on terrible disturbances, the turned off problem disappeared, so I replaced the power supply with a new decent one and the problem was gone.

So check if there are any disruptions in the operation of the computer, laptop, etc.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Lots of good advice given so far. If you are still getting unwanted background noise then viewing a few online videos on the subject would be a good idea. I did a lot of watching. Tried a lot of things, some worked, some did nowt.

Noise can enter your radio through it’s power supply, through your antenna, and occasionally through other connected items (an amplified speaker for example). If it’s coming through via your power supply or your mains electric to your PSU, or if it’s coming via other attached items, you can do something about it. Look up vids on mains filters and ferrites.

If the noise is being received by your antenna, it’s a lot harder to sort, especially if the RF pollution is not coming from your property. That is unfortunately my situation. Again, do look up videos on the subject. One thing I learned, tried, and worked a degree dropping the noise by 1S point, was introducing a 1:1 balun choke at the antenna feed point (not an air cored choke).

Even with a high unwanted noise level you can still have a great time when the skips rolling, as many of us did this past weekend Smile
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.   Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbie Experience. Just bought and erected a 1/2 wave silver rod having problems.
Page 1 of 1