Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeToday at 6:28 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
6900 Baofeng 9900 president display antenna anytone 2022 list 2023 2024 meter yaesu Mckinley Sirio Mobile chart callsign software frequency ALINCO ss9900 call sign lincoln power
QRZ Database

How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod

Go down 
+2
BigTone
Kittiwake
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kittiwake
Kittiwake

Call Sign : 163-CT-234 / MW7WYN
Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Swansea
Equipment Used : CB>>Homebase: SS6900n with 1/2w silver rod, Mobile: CRT Millenium (V3) with mini springer......HAM >> Anytone D878UV

How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Empty
PostSubject: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi all,  
I will soon be getting a new Aerial, (1/2 wave silver rod)
While reading through other members posts they mostly go on about mounting onto a metal post.
My questions are,
1    does the post act as a ground plane?
2    can I mount the silver rod to the top of a 4x4inch 20ft wooden post?
2a  If I do, will I need to run a grounding wire from the mounting bracket back to a copper
      grounding rod?

Any advice/suggestions will be greatly received

Kittiwake
Arwyn
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Arwyn
If you mount it on a wooden pole, it would be a good idea to run a (thick if poss) wire to the ground for dumping static. A metal pole will would dump the static buildup.
The 1/2 wave doesn't need ground planes as it is a dipole that is end fed rather than centre fed.
It would be a good idea to wind a choke as close to the aerial as possible.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 3:28 pm

BigTone wrote:

The 1/2 wave doesn't need ground planes as it is a dipole that is end fed rather than centre fed.

Completely wrong. ALL END FED ANTENNAS NEED A RF GROUND. It isn't an "end fed dipole" at all, no such thing exists. Kirchoffs Law applies and you can't get around it unless you've found a way of changing the laws of physics.  Kirchoffs Law says the current leaving one point must be matched by current entering the same point from some other path or paths. In other words, at any junction, we cannot force current out into something without the same net current coming from something else.

This means we cannot force power into a single terminal load. There has to be a return path of some type, even if it is not obvious. The path in a high frequency AC system (like an antenna) does not need to be a direct connection. The path can be through displacement currents (currents through electric fields), but there MUST always be a return path to the source. In the Zepp antenna system, or any end fed half wave, this displacement current must get back to the feed line somehow.  If it didn't, it would have no current at the ends.

In a normal "push-pull" center fed  fed dipole, displacement currents largely (but not totally) flow from one side to the other. This establishes the electric field, and allows current to flow outwards into the wires hanging "open" in space. With an end-fed, current flowing from the stub or feeder out into the end of the radiator must be returned to the opposing conductor of the feed line. This returned current (called displacement current) always equals the common mode current flowing into the antenna end. Without a suitable counterpoise, common mode or radiating currents must flow onto the feed cable or supporting mast. This means, lacking a proper counterpoise and common mode isolation, an accidental (and generally unwanted) feed line or mast common-mode current must exist.

Sure it'll work if you don't put one in but only because it's using the pole but more likely your coax to make up for one.
Back to top Go down
BigTone
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : G8YMW or 26CT4498
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Lincoln and Finningley
Equipment Used : CRT 9900, Icom 705, Kenwood TS570, Icom 910

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 11:56 pm

I cannot word it right but you are wrong about the end feed half wave.
Lookk at the RF currents and voltages.
A centre fed dipole is high current - low voltage at the feedpoint (~72 ohms, good match for coax)
An end fed 1/2 wave is high voltage - low current at the feedpoint so you cannot feed directly with coax so you have to do something different. You shunt feed it, that is a short across the coax (using a coil) and the element is tapped off that coil. No radials needed.
A 5/8 wave, on the other hand is a 3/4 wave electrically and needs radials or something
Back to top Go down
Kittiwake
Kittiwake

Equipment Used : CB>>Homebase: SS6900n with 1/2w silver rod, Mobile: CRT Millenium (V3) with mini springer......HAM >> Anytone D878UV

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Thanks BigTone and Northern Crusader for your replies.

Back to top Go down
Kittiwake
Kittiwake

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 12:39 pm

My Aerial has arrived and I'm trying to put it together, there was no Information/instruction leaflet included, the extending legs have no marks to indicate the length for clamping.
Is there a guide length I should put each leg into the other as a starting point
Back to top Go down
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

Call Sign : 29-CT-074
QTH or Location : Castleblayney, Monoghan.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-767 GX Venom silver rod and Sigma SE-HF-X80

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 10:43 am

If you look at the sections carefully there should be a black marker mark that indicates where to clamp off, I put one up a little while ago and followed these marks and got perfect SWR. Sorry didnt notice that this was a year old.

Razz229 and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 10:53 am

rekibrepus wrote:
If you look at the sections carefully there should be a black marker mark that indicates where to clamp off, I put one up a little while ago and followed these marks and got perfect SWR. Sorry didnt notice that this was a year old.
Think he might have it sorted now it was 28 months ago.
Thanks for your input it could help others at some time with this antenna.

Razz229, Victor and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
rekibrepus
rekibrepus

Call Sign : 29-CT-074
QTH or Location : Castleblayney, Monoghan.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-767 GX Venom silver rod and Sigma SE-HF-X80

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 11:35 am

Yea, guessed that alan after I sent it and saw the date, moral of the story, pay more attention  Shocked Laughing

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 12:12 pm

rekibrepus wrote:
Yea, guessed that alan after I sent it and saw the date, moral of the story, pay more attention  Shocked Laughing
True but your reply could help like i said.

Razz229 and rekibrepus like this post

Back to top Go down
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2022 10:33 pm

A silver rod isnt an end fed dipole
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod   How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to mount my 1/2 wave silver rod
Page 1 of 1