Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
yaesu 2022 2023 6900 supply Baofeng antenna software display Sirio Mobile frequency callsign list sign anytone president 9900 lincoln call ss9900 ALINCO power meter Mckinley chart
QRZ Database

Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R

Go down 
+2
Hotel Zulu 253
Victor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Empty
PostSubject: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2021 10:49 pm

Hi All,

Hope you're all well. Smile

Some of you know that I've had a few problems with my old Yaesu FT757GX HF set. I've had quite a few problems with the old girl over time but for a forty year old radio I suppose I would have. Like some of us she's no spring-chook and getting a bit ragged around the edges.

I've since repaired it.....and not repaired it!
She receives great now that I've 'repaired' her, better than she ever did in all the time I've had her, but will she transmit?!?! After spending hours and days on her she does transmit.....when she's apart on the bench! Put her back together and she stops transmitting! Arrrggghhhh! Frustrating is not the word and there aren't enough profanities to exclaim it.

Yes, I know, there's a "loose" connection in there somewhere.....but with loads of wire interconnects inside her resembling an explosion in a spaghetti factory it's tedious to locate. So for now she's on the back burner and apart from my little Baofeng thingy I have no radio. Sad

So I trawled the 'bay' to see if I could get hold of a cheap CB, maybe even something needing repair and boost my confidence in my electronic skills.

Cheap CB? Pah! Fat Chance!
Prices are still through the roof for even the most basic of old rigs that have passed through more hands than a fifty year old hooker. I wanted something old being better able to repair it than some fancy display microprocessor controlled nonsense the size of a 20 Dunhill pack of cigarettes.
(These modern rigs are tiny, especially for old hands and eyes and that's just operating them let alone repairing them!)

Then I came across something that sparked my interest.....put my bid on and after a few days notified that I'd "won".

Here she is, a late 1970's 2m, (144Mhz), mobile transceiver :-

Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Ft227r10

To some she'd be an ugly bugger but to me she was absolutely beautiful and I had to have her!

Something about those red seven segment displays drew me in, reminiscent of many an old CB and she's got four of them rather than a CB's typical two. Wink

Listed as 'spares or repairs' it was worth the punt at a lowly starting bid of £25...and that one bid won her. Not surprising really, who in their right mind buys a radio over 40 years old without 2.5kHz steps and no CTCSS? Only a mad fool like me!

The 5kHz steps will do me fine, gets me good old GB3PI and throw in the old Simplex channels too. I'll soon knock up a Tone encoder to give me CTCSS access too.

Notice the badge? "Memorizer" - she's got a whole four memories! Can you imagine?! FOUR! Don't disconnect the power though...she loses the lot! (When wired up in a vehicle as intended she runs live via the battery so even when you turn the radio off and the ignition she'll keep the memories.....unless the battery goes flat.)

She's built like a proverbial tank and almost weighs as much as one too. No plastic casing fronts here my friend, solid metal construction.
I took a look inside too, I do like a peek, but was hit with the smell that only 1970's electronics have. Wonderful! She's also a 'virgin'...no dirty mitts have defiled her or scabby old soldering iron burned her innards. She even has the original light bulb indicators which are still all working!
(The green 'Busy' indicator and red 'On Air' really give me a buzz being the sad old git I am. Wink)

For all intent and purposes she looks like she stepped out of the Doctor's TARDIS not showing her age one bit. Awesome!

Those in the 'know' may be interested in that she runs on an old uPD857 PLL (phase locked loop). Perhaps the old Uniden uPD858 rings a better bell? Oh yes, she be a Uniden and was even sold under the Uniden badge. As expected for such a radio of that era also equipped with beautiful dual gate MOSFET receiver circuitry and a proper Foster-Seeley FM discriminator. None of that typical FM chip 'hash' here but a gentle breeze of true FM goodness. Sounds flipping wonderful on receive!

Talking of receive, she picks up more than the Baofeng ever does even when connected up to the same homebrew 2M antenna. Through the old audio amplifier circuitry and internal 3 inch speaker the sound is full rich in mid-tones and bass, really good on the old ears. Smile

To say I'm happy would be an understatement - I'm flipping ecstatic!! 

If you've never given 2m a go, (most newly qualified Hams seem preoccupied with HF interests), it'd be worth giving it a go. There's far less of the the BR68 old guard bemoaning you being on their HF frequencies, ("We had to do Morse and everything dont-cha-know!"), some good old chit-chat can be had on the old repeaters and you'll often find someone gabbering on the Simplex channels too. It's doesn't usually herald much in the way of DX, (but tropospheric prop can be exciting, a friend and myself once had a 'break' from a 2m operator in Liverpool some 120 miles away!), but then "Repeat please....yes 5 over 9 my friend...QRZ" HF working becomes tedious after a while.

Anyway, enough of my waffle. (Been a while. Wink)

I'll just leave you with this picture :-

Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Ft227r11

Oh yes - Came in the original box, original inner packaging, manual, accessory box with components and a microphone with a curly cord you could physically tow a truck with!! What a microphone too, proper old school fist mic with the smoothest PTT you ever did handle!

She did step out of the TARDIS and I flipping love her.

Think I'm weird? Here's weird for you.....that original box smelled beautiful in only the way old cardboard can! Can you imagine holding onto a radio for over 40 years let alone the box? Wonderful stuff indeed. Wink

All the best,
Victor

John123, Alan Pilot, Wirecutter and buzz7558 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 4:43 am

Your speaking my language, I love old radios. I'm actually looking for a Yeasu FT-101, I'm not really fussed if it's working or not, those old rigs are built to be serviced... good old school solid rigs!

Love you passion!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 7:20 am

Nice one Victor.
And i know you will fix your hf set the next time you look at it.
I have every faith in you Victor.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 8:17 am

@Hotel Zulu 253

Cheers Andrew, there is definitely something about older radios that draws us in. The build quality alone is enough to make most dribble! Very Happy

Yes, an old Ham friend of mine has a Yaesu FT101, I think the ZD and he absolutely loves it! I love it too but don't let him know that I prefer the old FT902. Wink

I hope you manage to find yourself a nice tidy 101 and know it'd make you smile from ear to ear.

All the best mate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Alan Pilot

Hi Alan mate. Yeah, I'll get there with the old 757 and in the meantime I'm smiling with this 227 acquisition. It's that little smile that can be the incentive to keep us going on. 

Pretty smitten with this VHF set though and can't wait to fit a CTCSS to use her in earnest on the repeater and band. Smile

All the best.  Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R 1f44d

Hotel Zulu 253 likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 9:55 am

Oo. Something from the dark ages and I'm happy for you.
You've absolutely right about the new stuff but it does appeal to the throw away society.
Personally I prefer valve sets.
The only problem being sourcing the little cherubs without taking out a mortgage.
My main source for them being Russia.
Back to top Go down
2AL454

Call Sign : 2-CT-167
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Equipment Used : AT-5555, FT-840, Ten-Tec Omni D

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm

Cool radio! I have the 220MHz version of that.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 8:41 pm

I think you'd love visiting the radio museum at Watchet, Somerset, if you're ever that way Victor. The radio displays do have a distinctive and great smell Smile

Your new acquisition looks to be a good win. It's funny, I was reading your post on my phone in the car whilst I was waiting for my better half to come out of her work, and when I got the pic of the radio I had to zoom in because I thought at first it was a Uniden something, then I read on and low an behold..  Smile

Hope you get your 757 fixed. I had similar with a Concorde III back in the day.. worked fine with the covers off. Turned out just to be a small indentation on a cover piece that was touching the circuit board. Bit of insulating tape between sorted it.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 9:07 pm

@PaulGray

Hi Paul, do love an old radio and this is right up my street. I know what you mean with valve gear as I love it! 
I restored an old Telequipment valve oscilloscope a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Still have my old Jubilee II receiver but had to modify the power supply to a silicon rectifier as I couldn't source an EZ80 at the time. Getting harder to keep the old stuff going nowadays and when the Soviet & Chinese stuff dries up we're a bit stuffed.

Much appreciated mate. 

All the best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@2AL454

Hi Tracy. I agree, they are pretty cool radios!  Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R 1f44d 
Cheers for the heads up on the 220MHz version, searched and found it was the FT-127RA which aren't found in the UK as we don't have the 1.25m band. Seems you guys love them in the USA and I found a wealth of extra info that's still relevant to the FT-227 so helped me out a fair bit. Smile

Really appreciate that.

All the best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@SangueG

Hiya Neal. I shall take note of that Museum, we were supposed to holiday that way last year but obviously didn't happen. If I get another chance to get that way I'll have to look in and breathe in that beautiful smell that only vintage electronics have! Smile

Yes, do love a Uniden chassis and pretty chuffed she turns out to be one. They just always seemed to be excellently designed receivers and this one's a beaut at plucking signals from the ether and the sound is awesome.

I'll get there with the 757, intermittent wiring faults always test your patience and I felt like I'd tried everything. This 'new' radio has given me a much deserved break so I'll be more upbeat when I get back to her.

Much appreciated mate and all the best to you.

Thanks ever so much guys, your responses are really appreciated.

Nice to know that I'm not the only mad fool that gets a smile from a vintage radio! Smile

Alan Pilot and 2AL454 like this post

Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 148
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 11:20 pm

Nice radio, Victor. Have fun with it.😎👍

I love the look and tactile feel of the old cbs too. They look great and all the controls have a nice solid feel to them.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2021 7:07 am

Cheer John, much appreciated mate. Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R 1f44d 

Ooh she is so tactile that it's almost perverted! Very Happy

Solid, sturdy feel to her, smoothest power on / volume control, a squelch that only Uniden could truly master without a kerchunk or annoying tail. The channel selector is optically encoded with a ball bearing/spring arrangement and makes that distinctive 'clink/pop' as you rotate it around plus the radio is so solid she doesn't skit around as you turn it! Wink

She's great in every way inside and out.

Weirdo I am. 

Now you know why I think you're a lucky man with your Stalker, another Uniden classic. Smile

John123 and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R   Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radio headaches and tales of an old Yaesu FT-227R
Page 1 of 1