Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Winter 11m Challenge - from December 1st 2023 to 31st March 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeToday at 8:00 am by SangueG

» First homebase (Issued)
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeToday at 4:24 am by Victor

» Tank whip for homebase
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 pm by Hendo

» Foundation licence passed!
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:49 am by Al21

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:20 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 am by SangueG

» Returning Member / Callsign Re-Issue (Returning Member)
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 10:56 pm by John123

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 9:05 pm by Razz229

» Introduction to the group. (Issued)
Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 am by Victor

Keywords
9900 meter Baofeng Mckinley ss9900 2022 callsign supply call display 6900 antenna yaesu lincoln Mobile power 2023 chart ALINCO anytone Sirio president list sign software frequency
QRZ Database

Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MotorRacingBruce1980
MotorRacingBruce1980

Call Sign : 26-CT-4255
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Lancing, West Sussex
Equipment Used : CRT2000, Sirio ML145, Venom 1/2wave

Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Empty
PostSubject: Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue   Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2021 10:39 am

Hi All,

Back on CB's after 20 years and instead of just going mobile this time I setup a home base.

I'm using a CRT2000 with 7 metres of Mini8 low loss coax, I have a Venom 1/2 wave silver rod mounted 10ft above ground level and have checked the SWR which is as follows.

Channel 1 = 1:1
Channel 20 = 1:1
Channel 40 = 1.2:1

This seems very low to me but as Channel 40 is higher I did try shortening my antenna which made no difference even when I reduced it by a foot!

Do I have an issue or am I just very lucky to have a well matched radio and antenna?

I can get through to people about 5 mile away and I can hear them clearly but I do get quite a lot of noise aswell.

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 349
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue   Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2021 11:10 am

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like job's a good'un! Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue 1f44d

These half wave antennas have a good SWR range, if I recall something like a 1:1.5 range of over a MegaHertz. They make for good 28Mhz/10m antennas too.

We do have to suffer much more noise nowadays on pretty much all the HF range compared with decades ago unfortunately....all those PC's, laptops, tablets, chargers, etc. spewing RF noise everywhere! Always RF 'quieter' when you can go mobile and get away from such urban noise. Don't despair though, you can chase the proverbial 'dogs tail' trying to track down RF noise. If it isn't that bad I wouldn't worry, (and I'd rather sit in comfort at a homebase radio than a cold night on a hill in the car!)

When there is no prorogation or 'skip' CB range is fairly limited but once that 'skip' is in it's all exciting as hell. Smile

All the best,
Victor

SangueG and MotorRacingBruce1980 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
MotorRacingBruce1980
MotorRacingBruce1980

Call Sign : 26-CT-4255
QTH or Location : Lancing, West Sussex
Equipment Used : CRT2000, Sirio ML145, Venom 1/2wave

PostSubject: Re: Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue   Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Thanks Victor,

Just a bit worrying when you hardly get the needle on the SWR meter move, I started questioning myself and the equipment.

I was turning lights off and moving things about trying to find what was causing the noise but I think I need to get the neighbours to move, no loss there as we don't get on anyway lol.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue   Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi Bruce. Re the noise, I had a horrendous level of unwanted noise for a while earlier this year, but managed to get it to drop substantially, partially by just moving antenna slightly. If you've got the time and space you could try hiring or lowering it a little or moving it a few feet one way or another to see if it picks up less.

You can get a good low SWR over a wide band with the Silver Rods. Even if you don't they can still work well. Had one led flat once inside the loft hung from the rafters, SWR nearing 3:1 but still was able to work Europe when the skip was running. You should have good fun with yours next time the skips up Smile
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Howard
Contributor
Contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue   Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2022 11:49 pm

Leave it how it is the length or if you want to adjust the length do the top section only by dropping it a few mil at a time see how that goes .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue   Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Venom 1/2 wave SWR Issue
Page 1 of 1