Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Required.
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeToday at 3:36 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
SWR Issues Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

Keywords
supply 6900 Mobile power anytone Mckinley software Sirio ALINCO callsign yaesu president 9900 lincoln display ss9900 Baofeng chart antenna list meter 2023 call 2022 sign frequency
QRZ Database

SWR Issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dieselhorses

Call Sign : 2-CT-198
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Equipment Used : President Walker 2

SWR Issues Empty
PostSubject: SWR Issues   SWR Issues Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 pm

I guess let me emphasize That I have a number 8 copper insulated wire going from antenna bracket to chassis. Isn't there some sort of "rule of thumb" about cb/ham grounds?

Used CB's frequently back in the day yada yada... Recently installed a President Walker 2 using with a Wilson 5000 trucker antenna. This is all set up in my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic (antenna is mounted to rear of truck box via bracket). Bracket grounded to chassis and of course oil can is insulated from bracket.

I can't get below 2.6 SWR on 1, 20, 40. I did shorten antenna from 52" to 51" and that helped. Is it true what they say about "grounding in between everything"? Instead of running ground directly to chassis? My antenna (rear of tool box) is centered. Coax is minimal and only looped once under drivers seat. All connections tight. Radio has a built in meter (which comes in handy!) but I also have a separate RF meter.

Let me know if you need more info! TIA

Last edited by dieselhorses on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

SWR Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR Issues   SWR Issues Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 pm

www.k0bg.com and the sections on mounting, grounding and most importantly, bonding.

CB antennas are manufactured at a length assuming they're going to be installed badly with a poor RF ground as many are - we're talking about RF grounds, not DC grounds and you can't measure a RF ground with a multimeter/ohm-meter as those are DC. The more efficient the RF ground the shorter the radiating element needs to be for a given frequency, this is covered in the ARRL Antenna Book. What that means for those of us who have vehicles, mounting method and location that provide a good RF ground is that the antenna is usually too long, even on it's lowest adjustment. For me I tend to find that out of the box antennas like the Sirio 5000 I have are resonant around 26MHz and there's not enough adjustment. With my Sirio I had to cut 3 inches off to get it up to 27.500. I have an antenna analyser I use to both check what's happening before I start to alter anything and to see what's happening as I do it.

You can't really do it with a CB and a SWR meter because the range of frequencies between the lowest and highest channels aren't wide enough, you really need something that can sweep a couple of MHz so either an antenna analyser or a widebanded amateur HF set/something like widebanded President Lincoln etc that cover 26-30MHz.

glenn dog and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
dieselhorses

Call Sign : 2-CT-198
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Equipment Used : President Walker 2

SWR Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR Issues   SWR Issues Icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2021 8:44 pm

So what you're saying is get a President Lincoln? Or an antenna analyzer...? 10-4
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

SWR Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR Issues   SWR Issues Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 pm

Or borrow one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SWR Issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: SWR Issues   SWR Issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SWR Issues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Antenna Discussion-
Jump to: