Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» I've just bought a couple of UV-5R's....
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:18 am by Victor

» Swearing on air, is it really such a big deal?
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeToday at 8:18 am by SangueG

» South Coast PMR net report
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeToday at 7:10 am by Victor

» How to identify what version Anytone AT-6666 you have?
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:05 pm by Razz229

» AT Santa contest 2021
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:25 pm by Chickenfoot@1987

» UK 40 channel FM?
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:47 pm by Wireless

» CT call sign (Information requested)
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:28 pm by Wireless

» the charlie tango group
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:15 pm by Monty

» A99 -thunderpole 5 or sigma 360hf
Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:13 pm by Howard

Keywords
callsign midland frequency ALINCO antenna Mckinley Mobile SS6900 power Calling Sirio supply list call display sign 6900 bazooka lincoln president yaesu coax radio 9900 chart ss9900
QRZ Database

Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Howard

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Empty
PostSubject: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeWed Nov 03, 2021 11:27 pm

Hi all 
Well I've just started getting into the FT8 side of things on the radio some say it's boring and some say they can take it or leave it 
What's everyones else opinion on it ?

Victor and Alan - Mirror Man like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / M7TDV
Times Thanked : 17
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : SS6900N, Xiegu G90, DX-300 for SWL, all antennas home-made

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2021 8:29 am

Hi Howard. It's not for me (at the moment). It's not that I am disinterested in data modes, I have experimented in the past, first in early '80s by CB using ZX Speccys over FM to close friends which was a about 30 secs for a line of BASIC.

Bit of fun, but for me I prefer picking up a mic and using normal speech. I use computers enough as it is, the radio is a bit of break from them. I am not a phone texter either, I think I sent 3 last month. I have whatsapp, but only there if someone needs to send me something from work. Not saying I will never use FT8 or other data modes, I am sure it will be very useful later on if my hearing worsens, as will CW as there are many decoders out there.. my G90 even does.

I know I am in the minority though as have glanced at many people's QRZ pages and most are full of FT8 contacts. Many are having great fun with it, hope you do too.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 Ham M7VIC
Times Thanked : 170
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 04, 2021 11:02 am

Hi Howard,

Figuring FT8 out and building my own interface to run on my ancient Yaesu FT757gx with Linux was fun.

I quickly got bored after then...but that was just me. Wink

I admit it's impressive and I managed an early contact with my power turned down to a little over 1 Watt all the way to Iceland....with a wire dipole mounted in the loft for 40m(!) After that it all felt a little bit of a 'collecting' call signs exercise and 'pin-points' in a map affair.

As with everything Amateur Radio there's a little of something for everyone and you find what you personally enjoy.
(I also can't stand "CQ Competition" & "5/9 QRZ" Very Happy)

But then I do enjoy building and repairing stuff......and I often employ FT8 reception reports with PSK Reporter to check results of antennas I've built and receivers I've repaired.....

So definitely something for everyone. Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  1f44d 

Anyway, isn't FT4 the 'new kid on the block'?
Weirdly I've seen more RTTY transmissions recently and I thought that had died a long time ago. Wink

I'm all for everyone doing what makes them happy.
I don't like Marmite but my wife does so there's always some in the cupboard regardless...we just don't argue about it.

Great posting, looking forward to hearing from the digi-mode fans and see what's in it for them.

Just like how I still smile at the Missus when she's got black tar teeth from her morning toast & Marmite.
(I just don't kiss her for a while! Very Happy )

All the best,
Victor

Alan - Mirror Man and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC Online
Ivy Mike
Contributor
Contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : West Sussex
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, President Bill....ICOM, 705, 7100, 7300, 9700, Kuhne QO-100 up and down converters, Elecraft K2. Antennas EA Cobweb, Hustler 6BTV

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 6:42 am

I'm an FT8/FT4 fan, in fact it's my only mode apart from SSB on QO-100.

If you have a bad location, poor antennas or run QRP, it really helps to get DX.
You can work stuff when there is no normal propagation and you don't have to
sit there shouting your head off, good if you don't want to disturb everyone.

It actually got me back into radio after a 10year break.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 39
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 7:31 am

Like Victor i tried it well it was Victor's adventure into it that made me have a go.
Lucky for me i had the 991a so it took no time to get it running but after a few hours i gave up with.
Then an old m8 got his licence and we got talking about ft-8 and gave it another go.
My m8 took some time to get it running on hid ft-450 buying the cheapest kit he could find to connect the radio to his pc and then a day or 2 getting it running.
Well that was it we both have run ft-8 daily for months now but the strange thing is it is only on the odd time we can see each other on it but that's radio for you we live about 20 miles as the crow flies but 2m band is the only contact we can use.
With my 10w i have made contacts round the world and many using 5w can't turn my radio any lower
Marmite it is 100%.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Howard

Call Sign : 26-CT-4319
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Aylesbury
Equipment Used : Ic7300

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 8:53 am

Good to see that there are a mixture of people who like and dislike it I get a better overall picture on what this ft8 is all about.ive got it up and running now on the icom 7300 and if I'm honest I don't mind it but then again in in to tech stuff and I think that it gives everybody the chance to DX even when the conditions are poor and also people who suffer from bad qrm or they can't have massive antennas up at there qth.
Anyway it's early days at the minute but I do like watching also on the gridtracker software where I'm being seen in the world.
73 chaps

Alan - Mirror Man and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ivy Mike
Contributor
Contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : West Sussex
Equipment Used : CRT SS9900, President Bill....ICOM, 705, 7100, 7300, 9700, Kuhne QO-100 up and down converters, Elecraft K2. Antennas EA Cobweb, Hustler 6BTV

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Don't forget FT4 as well, New Caledonia popped up this morning on 20metres, 14.080.

Half a dozen calls and a new country in the bag.
Confirmed in QRZ and LOTW. Very Happy

Alan - Mirror Man likes this post

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?    Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats all this FT 8 stuff then ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Community Hangout :: The Black Pearl Inn-
Jump to: