Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
yaesu Mobile Mckinley 9900 call Sirio ALINCO callsign display list meter frequency chart lincoln software antenna sign 2022 2023 anytone president Baofeng 6900 ss9900 power supply
QRZ Database

Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26UK81
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : ss 6900N, AT5555N, President McKinley

Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Empty
PostSubject: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi all.   Does anyone know of any device which could stop thuds and loud fart noises every time I key up or de-key.   It also happens whenever a received station keys or de-keys.   I sometimes use my headphones while on air if upstairs flat noise is annoying me.   I am worried that these audio thumps will damage my headphones.     Thanks.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 7:26 am

Are they wireless headphones.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 1:40 pm

Don't know of a device other than putting some resistance inline maybe. You could try a different set of headphones.. I have an expensive set of Sony headphones that I can't use on the rigs as it does just the same, but I also have a set of Argos' almost cheapest gaming headphones.. they have a volume control on them and lowering that stops the loud thuds.

rabbi and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 6:03 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Are they wireless headphones.

Hi Alan, yes they are, but they take a cable for non wireless stuff. Connected to rig via a mono to “stereo” adaptor. I only get the noises with the headphones powered up. They work through the cable without being powered, but of course then I lose the noise cancellation.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 7:55 pm

Swings and roundabouts wired or wireless then lol.
Must be a solution but not got one myself sorry.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2021 8:18 pm

I always found similar to Neal - SangueG in that higher 'quality' headphones or even indeed extension speakers results in pops and bacon-frazzle due to them being designed for music rather than radio communications. 

Took me forever to find some old rectangular style with brackets speakers designed for radio communication. They have middle punch but no treble or bass response and sound sweet as anything on whichever CB, Ham or PMR set I hook them to.

Same with headphones, my decent guitar/music headphones sound terrible on a radio set but my cheap old ones with individual volume controls are perfection when the controls are set 'just right'. Similarly these old sets sound terrible trying to listen to music! Wink

Never tried cordless types but know most of these are designed for 'hi-fi' so probably would have similar issues.

I'm sure there are 'passive filters' designed to sit between the radio and headphone/speakers to eliminate such issues but can't think off hand from where. If I remember I'll post details up. 

All I know is that RX/TX switching circuitry, squelch etc. on transceivers were never really designed to be 'hi-fi' and indeed a lightning crack across the airwaves would bust your ears with a loud bass or treble response!!  affraid

My best accidentally discovered speaker yet is a 'holed' one, (paper cone edge disintegrated), normally to be set for the bin but makes CW Morse sound wonderful! Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts 1f44d

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 8:01 am

hi i use a pair of airlite headphones converted to a mono jack plug but i dont have the boom mic wired up so just tied back allso a pair by mfj but the ear pads are flaking some are better than others and of course the cost  thanks for looking paul m0kbd 73s

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
26uk81
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2021 2:01 pm

I think I can settle for using them without power on the radio. Even without the noise cancellation they seem to drown out annoying stomps from flat upstairs. Don’t know why people in upper floor flats have always gotta have bloody hard flooring instead of a decent carpet, but that’s another topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts   Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using headphones on radio - thumps and farts
Page 1 of 1