Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeToday at 6:08 am by SangueG

» EU conditions have started
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeToday at 6:04 am by SangueG

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge League Table 2024
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 am by SangueG

» CT callsign please (Issued)
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeToday at 2:23 am by Pozerman1959

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:25 pm by Sydthecat

» Siro Boomerang 27A
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 am by FreqFreak

» Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:10 am by Razz229

» Ten on 10m FM - event 20th April
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm by SangueG

» END FED QUESTIONS ..
sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 am by VanRougeT4

Keywords
9900 6900 2023 power Sirio ss9900 meter Mckinley call lincoln list antenna software chart sign Baofeng callsign display 2022 frequency supply president ALINCO anytone Mobile yaesu
QRZ Database

Short random sloper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

sloper - Short random sloper Empty
PostSubject: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 pm

Waffle kept shortish today. Just wanted to share an antenna setup that others might want to try if short of cash or wanting to get on a chunk of the HF bands real quick in a small garden. On face value looks like it would be rubbish, but actually isn't. Whilst definitely not a "DX" antenna I have managed contacts in the UK and around Europe on all bands from 10m to 40m inc 11m, sometimes with reports of "booming signal" using just foundation power. 40m not just NVIS either as some contacts have been 900 to 1100 mile distances.

SWR under 3:1 on all bands and under 2:1 on some. Fine for very low power 'as is', or ATU can easily bring in to line better if wanted.

Just 2 mins to setup or take down. Perfect for me for a Saturday morning whilst doing housework downstairs (my rigs are usually upstairs in bedroom running into loft antennas). Hopefully pics make sense, it's pretty simple really just like me Laughing

Very approximately to scale...

sloper - Short random sloper Short_10

Choke at feed point, 2x turns in each 43 type ferrite clip-on. Needed as not RF grounded and caused ghost in the machine effects to my PC and router without it. This forces the wire counterpoise to be used rather than the coax shield...
sloper - Short random sloper Choke10

Highest point tied down to trampoline frame...
sloper - Short random sloper Trampo10

GaryWilson, Victor, Alan Pilot, Tristar, Ivy Mike, Wireless and RadioWavez like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 pm

"Any antenna is better than no antenna" sloper - Short random sloper 1f44d 

Cracking work there Neal and a perfect example of fitting in what you can with what you've got. Awesome stuff mate and glad it's working well for you.

A big thanks for the share. Smile

Tristar and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 8:02 am

Thank you Victor. Just after posting this I took the dog out for a walk and listened to the Monday night Swindon net via the 2m repeater. A large part of the discussion was around a member who does not have a HF setup yet and has been pondering for a while what antenna to set up and where, what would work best, are baluns needed etc etc. I say just stick a cheap bit of wire up and get on air, you will make contacts and have fun, and you won't miss out on radio action then whilst you're pondering.

Victor and DC1956 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 350
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 am

Absolutely spot on!

Any antenna is better than no antenna. I've made some amazing contacts on very compromised antennas.

Good luck with the sloper.

73's Gary.

DC1956 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 am

Most of my HF is on compromise antennas. 

I did just do a test comparing a 43' end fed vertical with a 4:1 UnUN and a decent radial system against a half wave 28MHz vertical with a Guanella 49:1 UnUn and no radials.

At 40km the half wave was 7dB better and at 3000km it was 6dB better on average.

Just one 'S' point, nothing too much to worry about. The results may have been different if the end fed was in the more traditional sloping arrangement.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am

When I came back on in 2018 I had no HF ants apart from a rotten Hustler 4BTV.
I ditched the traps and saved enough of the tubes to make a 20metre quarter wave vertical with an elevated groundplane, groundplane is just one wire. This worked very well with the the vertical at about 3metres and the groundplane wire angled down about 15degrees.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 1:37 pm

Nicely put there Neal and exemplary words of wisdom. sloper - Short random sloper 1f44d 

Too many get put off by technical jargon, recommendations, antenna modelling etc. and never get anywhere. Some basic knowledge and a length of wire can do wonders as many can attest to.

DC1956 and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Short random sloper   sloper - Short random sloper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Short random sloper
Page 1 of 1