Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» NATO 2000 Restoration
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeToday at 8:56 am by SangueG

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeToday at 8:39 am by chazwozza

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:33 pm by Vasilis

» New Member (Issued)
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 am by Razz229

Keywords
antenna callsign 6900 anytone president frequency lincoln meter power ALINCO software sign list display ss9900 2023 call Mobile chart yaesu 9900 Mckinley Sirio 2022 Baofeng supply
QRZ Database

CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

Call Sign : 108-CT-1529 2M0AIV
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Castle Douglas, Scotland
Equipment Used : SS9900

noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Empty
PostSubject: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 1:46 pm

Hi all

Getting to grips with my New CRT SS9900, i noticed that the NB (Noise Blanker) does not appear to do anything at all?  I checked with my mate who also has the same Rig and his Noise Blanker also appears to make no noticeable difference?  The HiCut works fine, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?  Is it just a blank function that they have put on the radio to make more attractive?  All of my other HF rigs in the past have had NB and functioned correctly, albeit at a much greater price range. Anyone Any thoughts on this?

108CT1529 - Andrew
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 1:56 pm

I think it is a bit of a gimmick on them to make you think you are getting more functions.
Like you say on a Yaesu or Icom they do function but then you pay a lot more for that radio.
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 2:11 pm

Hi Andy,

This sort of question arose a while back :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t3177-noise-blanker-causing-noise

Noise Blankers, (NB), Automatic Noise Limiters, (ANL), etc. are often misunderstood but it definitely doesn't help when you have used them successfully on other radios. On my old Yaesu FT757gx the 'NB' is fantastic where I may usually use it such as AM transmissions, sometimes SSB, but it don't do a damn thing when using FM modes! Wink

They're also fantastically useful for cutting out old style ignition impulse noises when operating mobile but less of a problems nowadays with modern cars - with them you just get interference from all the microprocessor technology and boost/buck voltage control systems!!! Shocked

There's definitely times when it can come in handy...waste of manufacturer profits to stick one in otherwise. Wink
(I mention dropping the RF gain in my other posting, NB manages better under those conditions.)

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor

Bloodhound likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Sorry Alan, just noticed your posting mate. Can often seem that they don't do a thing but used under the right conditions they can provide a little help. noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question 1f44d
Back to top Go down
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 2:25 pm

Thanks for the Reply Guys, sorry didnt see the other posting from the past, but i am quite new to the group. Victor i too had a Yaesu FT757gx at one time many years ago, i loved it but was seduced into selling it to swap for an FT 897 with bells and whistles alas, I still use the FP-757HD power supply with the speaker for my CRT SS9900 today as i kept it when i sold the 757.  To get back to the question, after testing the NB on the SS9900 in all modes it appears to do nothing on my Rig.  I also use the RF gain to back off when needed.  Anyway, sorry for the duplicate post, but as they say It's Good to talk and after 46 years working HF I am still learning Hi Hi 
Andrew
108CT1529

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 2:36 pm

Not a problem at all there Andy my friend. noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question 1f44d 

Yeah, on the old FT757 it often appears that it's doing something as it alters the signal path but there's only certain conditions when it works as intended. (Great for reducing lightning pops though when listening!)

There was a video somewhere but don't think it was here on the forum where someone graphically demonstrated the NB/ANL functions. If I can remember where I'll be sure to post it up.

Seeing you on the forum again has given me the incentive to find your Talk Group and now feverishly programming it into my DMR radio. Hope I catch you sometime. noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Bloodhound likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bloodhound
Bloodhound

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 3:26 pm

No problem Victor

Look forward to hearing from you on the Network

here is a reminder as to how you can get onto our network

Scotland Allstar Network Via Echolink 2D0AIV-L 2E0AIV-L and YSF via Alba Scotland or TGIF DMR talk group 23551 or FreeDMR TG 23551. Not forgetting Allstar 23799.

We still host the very successful Loch Lomond Sunday Night Net 8pm to 9pm which is joined and utilising our Network each week for info

Regards 180CT1529
Andrew

PS what did you think of the P99 review that i have put on? any comments on that antenna, i would value your views

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi Andy,

I did finally find the video I was thinking about and have posted it into the Media section of the forum so that it can hopefully help others in the future. See link below :-

https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t4045-what-the-noise-blanker-does-in-your-radio-and-why-yours-probably-isn-t-broken#31927

Thanks for the info on your Net, I have the Facebook page now and also programmed my DMR radio. I don't have a hotspot so rely on firing up one of the local DMR repeaters but here's hoping I catch you soon. noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question 1f44d 

I'm off for a shifty at your P99 posting now. Wink

All the best to you,
Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question   noise - CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CRT SS9900 NB (NB Noise blanker) Question
Page 1 of 1