Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeToday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeToday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeToday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
call 9900 antenna ss9900 Sirio lincoln supply display frequency meter software 6900 power list Baofeng sign callsign Mobile ALINCO 2023 2022 president Mckinley anytone yaesu chart
QRZ Database

Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Empty
PostSubject: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 5:18 pm

This Sirio is for PMR 446. I thought it would be in separate parts as you need to cut the bottom and top for SWR. 
It is in fact one piece including the centre spring.
So my thought of buying replacement steel rod if cut wrong is out the window.

I don't have an SWR meter and they are expensive for these 😁 I'm also thinking it would be a nightmare to do since you have to cut both ends ???

Anyway, looking at the supplied chart I've worked it out roughly (going up a mil or two to be safe) to 
474mm top section from 508mm (34mm)
70mm  btm section from 160mm (90mm)

sirioantenne.it
https://www.sirioantenne.it › ...PDF
SU 375-480 PL - Sirio Antenne 

Chart link on knights.
https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p2037_Sirio_SU_375-480PL__(375-480mHz).html

I'd like some opinions please before I go and butcher it 😁 especially if someone else has done one of these aerials. 

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Call Sign : 26 CT 2290 & 26 CI 2290
Times Thanked : 28
QTH or Location : Kent
Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm

I've not done one myself, but have a look at this video

Hope this helps or gives you confidence to start hacking 😀

Victor and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 3:37 am

Haha, thanks Razz, I may have spoken to him already. Pretty sure I have the breaker shouting hello 👍😁

I should give him a shout out to swr mine 😁

So I calculated 474mm top length and he slightly longer at 481mm.
And I, 70mm btm length, he quite a bit longer 102mm.
But he did say the chart recommended more to cut off.
So I'll be happy to trim it down to his measurements.
Thanks very much for that video mate.
Much appreciated.

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 6:23 am

I've not tuned up an antenna properly for that band. If I was to tune up a twig on a mag mount I would do it outside on the car. I did skip through the vid, so he might of done that, but he was showing measurements inside on the bench where they would surely be a little different?
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 2:38 pm

SangueG wrote:
I've not tuned up an antenna properly for that band. If I was to tune up a twig on a mag mount I would do it outside on the car. I did skip through the vid, so he might of done that, but he was showing measurements inside on the bench where they would surely be a little different?

He did do it on the car. He put a black and white notice up "ten years later" which I laughed at, but I did wonder. 

Someone mentioned it in the comments and he confirmed he kept cutting 3mm at a time and had to keep going back and to 👍🙂
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2022 5:52 pm

Also I was thinking Ray (Razz)
Your advice on the other thread
("SO239 to 3/8" adaptor and then fit a 3/8" whip adaptor")

If this antenna does end up toast. At least I have the base connection and considering the antenna was only £14.95 and the two connections probably around £11, I'll only lose around £4 and will just stick a 17cm bike spoke/coat hanger in 👍😁

Ps
I just know I'm going to end up buying a
UHF/VHF SWR meter 🙄😁

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

Equipment Used : On 11m a Anytone 6666, Solarcon A99 vertical antenna or a Sirio 4000. On PMR a TYT TH-9800, a 1/4 wave GPA, homemade mag mount & sometimes a 8 element beam.

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 8:20 am

Sharpshooter wrote:
Haha, thanks Razz, I may have spoken to him already. Pretty sure I have the breaker shouting hello 👍😁

I should give him a shout out to swr mine 😁

So I calculated 474mm top length and he slightly longer at 481mm.
And I, 70mm btm length, he quite a bit longer 102mm.
But he did say the chart recommended more to cut off.
So I'll be happy to trim it down to his measurements.
Thanks very much for that video mate.
Much appreciated.

I was a bit surprised that Ken's video was the only 1 I could find about this antenna on YouTube  scratch

Different measurements has got me wondering if the size of vehicle could effect the measurements of the antenna? Something like a classic Mini needs a bigger antenna and a stretch limo a smaller antenna or visa versa, I don't know?

Sharpshooter wrote:
Also I was thinking Ray (Razz)
Your advice on the other thread
("SO239 to 3/8" adaptor and then fit a 3/8" whip adaptor")

If this antenna does end up toast. At least I have the base connection and considering the antenna was only £14.95 and the two connections probably around £11, I'll only lose around £4 and will just stick a 17cm bike spoke/coat hanger in 👍😁

Ps
I just know I'm going to end up buying a
UHF/VHF SWR meter 🙄😁

I'm hoping the antenna works out 🤞

But if it does go wrong, as you say, you can cut down the longer whip and use the base connector. 
When the SWR meter comes you might get bitten by recycling and repurposing bug and start making things like this for out door radio. . . . . .

or this

Enjoy you radio 👍
Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2022 9:16 am

I was wondering myself if the vehicle or magmount might make a difference too.
And also how little info there is on that antenna.
But it's a nice little twig so hopefully it works out 👍🙂.

I was looking at the home brew twigs on delboy's blog and elsewhere.

Yes I need a swr meter.
I've already gone well over budget so what the hell, might as well buy some more bits while I'm at it 🤣

I'm certainly enjoying it up to now.
Especially with all the advice.

Cheers.

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 8:47 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:
But it's a nice little twig so hopefully it works out   👍🙂.

Yes I need a swr meter.
I've already gone well over budget so what the hell,  might as well buy some more bits while I'm at it 🤣

Cheers.

I'm looking forward to hear about the results and your views on the twig 😀👍

What's going to be you next project, repurposing a old tv aerial to a PMR beam?😏

Glad your enjoying the radio 

73 for now

Ray

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2022 9:29 pm

Razz229 wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:

Yes I need a swr meter.
I've already gone well over budget so what the hell,  might as well buy some more bits while I'm at it 🤣

Cheers.

What's going to be you next project, repurposing a old tv aerial to a PMR beam?😏

73 for now

Ray

Well today is "Baofeng, sheds and home brew juicy IPA day"  🤣

I've been sorting my three sheds out.
Everything is everywhere so I'm trying to sort them into.
A - scooters bikes and tools shed.
B - home brew, radio control cars, drones .
C - miscellaneous 😂

I brought a Baofeng, hung it up and put it on radio 2 fm listening to the rolling stones night. 
I've learned that whatever frequency your on it will revert back to any transmission.
In this case some kids chatting on PMR channel lol.

And I have found some things I forgot I have, and some I didn't know I had 😁

Sat on the reclaimed chair, drinking home brew and listening to radio slowed my progress but gave me time to ponder .

Yes Ray, I probably will spend more money and time setting up a home base and building antennas 👍🤣

Razz229 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:

Only where you mount it and if the coax gets pinched where it comes into the car. On those frequencies even the smallest roof is more than a good RF ground. The only problem you'll have is if you mount it lower down so there's vertical(ish) metal near it which will detune it and if the coax gets pinched or crushed. The impedance of the coax is defined by the ratio of the outer diameter of the centre conductor and the inner diameter of the outer braid so when you pinch or crush the coax that ratio alters which alters the impedance of the coax which affects the SWR. It can even put it well into the red which you'd get with a dead short even if you measure no short with a multimeter.

Razz229 and Sharpshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm

Northern Crusader wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:

Only where you mount it and if the coax gets pinched where it comes into the car. On those frequencies even the smallest roof is more than a good RF ground. The only problem you'll have is if you mount it lower down so there's vertical(ish) metal near it which will detune it and if the coax gets pinched or crushed. The impedance of the coax is defined by the ratio of the outer diameter of the centre conductor and the inner diameter of the outer braid so when you pinch or crush the coax that ratio alters which alters the impedance of the coax which affects the SWR. It can even put it well into the red which you'd get with a dead short even if you measure no short with a multimeter.

I made sure it doesn't get pinched. Cable goes through the top of rear hatch where there is a good gap.
Magmount is virtually centre of the roof.
 The reading on the built in swr on the 9900 is I think around 1.2 and 1.4.
I haven't altered the sirio 4000 from purchase.
I've bought a swr/power meter for a second opinion though. 😁
And I'll probably buy one for UHF.
But this sirio looks a nightmare since you have to cut both ends.

My thoughts are to cut it to the size Ken did in the video Razz posted, which is longer than the chart suggests. And try and contact Ken to ask him if he will check mine, and service a manor kestrel 🤣

Or just buy a swr meter, which I probably will eventually but like to spread the cost out 😁

Cheers 👍
Back to top Go down
Razz229
Major contributor
Major contributor
Razz229

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2022 9:48 am

Sharpshooter wrote:
Razz229 wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:

Yes I need a swr meter.

Cheers.

73 for now

Ray

I brought a Baofeng, hung it up and put it on radio 2 fm listening to the rolling stones night. 
I've learned that whatever frequency your on it will revert back to any transmission.
In this case some kids chatting on PMR channel lol.

Yes Ray, I probably will spend more money and time setting up a home base and building antennas 👍🤣

I sometimes use my UV5R when I'm working late. I can listen to BBC Radio 2 or the local D & B pirate station when it's on and Gatwick Ground which can be interesting listening.

I've been there spending money. SWR meter, beam, brackets, extra battery for the UV5R and other bits and bobs 😅😅

Sharpshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice    Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sirio SU 375 - 480 PL tuning advice
Page 1 of 1