Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» crt ss 9900
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeToday at 5:35 pm by stealth 57

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeToday at 3:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeToday at 2:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:24 pm by Julian brian

» Help needed
antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:02 pm by Mighty mutts

Keywords
display call ss9900 6900 callsign chart 2022 Sirio supply yaesu president list Mckinley Mobile antenna lincoln anytone frequency 2023 meter software ALINCO 9900 power Baofeng sign
QRZ Database

PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Empty
PostSubject: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 11:37 am

I'm trying to find a solution to my dilemma which others seem to have on CTDX regarding happiness on the marital front. lol!
'Er indoors is unhappy about me adding another mast to accomodate a PMR antenna, I wonder if it would be ok to mount it above the freeview aerial a few feet above it on the same pole?

Any advise or warning would be appreciated.

keithgriffin1962 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Hi Tony,

It shouldn't cause a problem mounted above the freeview antenna, but.....

When I first set up my 2m/70cm antenna in the loft I found that 70cm transmissions would cause freeview TVI even at low powers much to the annoyance of the missus. Wink

The cure was a simple 1/4 wave coaxial stub connected to the TV antenna.

PMR frequencies are just above the 70cm band so this should work just as well.

You want to cut about 11.5cm or 4.5 inches of coax, (75 ohm TV coax or even a bit of RG58 50 ohm), plus extra for the connection to the TV antenna. Simply connect it to the same connectors as the TV antenna coax, (usually some screw in affair for the TV coax), leaving the other end cut as in open circuit. (You may want to weatherproof the open end if outdoors with a bit of silicone seal or something.)

This will now appear as a short circuit to your transmissions as far as the TV antenna is concerned and work as a simple notch filter.

Dirt cheap and simple 'TVI' filter. Wink

......or you could persuade the missus to 'upgrade' to cable TV, (we have Virgin), so that the freeview antenna is no longer in use and therefore you aren't creating any problems. Worked for me!

(Luckily I was originally only affecting our TV and not any of the neighbours but most are on cable TV nowadays so I don't need to worry unnecessarily.)

Anyway, that was my fix but someone's bound to suggest a commercial TVI filter, (money), or maybe even argue about velocity factor with my 1/4 wave calculation. Razz

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor

Razz229 and keithgriffin1962 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 1:48 pm

Tony
The aerial is only short and light and as Victor said shouldn't a problem.
Put it up while she is out she will never know it's there lol.

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 pm

I fitted my TV aerial in the loft.
The mrs was crying out we needed a digital aerial even though I pointed out we were receiving digital and analogue at the time on the old H aerial 🤣

The only reason I fitted a new one was because it finally gave up the ghost.
Or so i thought.
After climbing on the roof and removing it from the chimney I found the coax had severed at the gutter through years of rubbing 👍🤣

I can't wait to put a silver rod and PMR antenna up now. Then key up with a burner when love island is on 🤣

keithgriffin1962 and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Tony,

It shouldn't cause a problem mounted above the freeview antenna, but.....

When I first set up my 2m/70cm antenna in the loft I found that 70cm transmissions would cause freeview TVI even at low powers much to the annoyance of the missus. Wink

The cure was a simple 1/4 wave coaxial stub connected to the TV antenna.

PMR frequencies are just above the 70cm band so this should work just as well.

You want to cut about 11.5cm or 4.5 inches of coax, (75 ohm TV coax or even a bit of RG58 50 ohm), plus extra for the connection to the TV antenna. Simply connect it to the same connectors as the TV antenna coax, (usually some screw in affair for the TV coax), leaving the other end cut as in open circuit. (You may want to weatherproof the open end if outdoors with a bit of silicone seal or something.)

This will now appear as a short circuit to your transmissions as far as the TV antenna is concerned and work as a simple notch filter.

Dirt cheap and simple 'TVI' filter. Wink

......or you could persuade the missus to 'upgrade' to cable TV, (we have Virgin), so that the freeview antenna is no longer in use and therefore you aren't creating any problems. Worked for me!

(Luckily I was originally only affecting our TV and not any of the neighbours but most are on cable TV nowadays so I don't need to worry unnecessarily.)

Anyway, that was my fix but someone's bound to suggest a commercial TVI filter, (money), or maybe even argue about velocity factor with my 1/4 wave calculation. Razz

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Victor
Hi Victor,
Many thanks for your comprehensive response to my question, the stub idea I will certainly try if rfi is a problem but was a new one to me.
We do have Virgin Media which is mainly for the wife as I'm happy enough with freeview but I originally had the aerial installed in preperation for the battle with virgins customer retention team fully expecting to cancel when some issues were not resolved by the offshore faults team. We were lucky to finally get through to a great guy and it was sorted, as well as £15 per month off for 18 months. Very Happy

Many thanks for your help,
Cheers & 73
Tony

Victor and keithgriffin1962 like this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2022 12:47 pm

Sharpshooter wrote:
The mrs was crying out we needed a digital aerial even though I pointed out we were receiving digital and analogue at the time on the old H aerial 🤣

Or so i thought.
After climbing on the roof and removing it from the chimney I found the coax had severed at the gutter through years of rubbing 👍🤣

I can't wait to put a silver rod and PMR antenna up now. Then key up with a burner when love island is on 🤣
Nige, did you keep the old 'H' aerial, if so you could chop it up and build a couple of beams for pmr. lol!
Have you considered that bunging loads of power back down the tv coax won't only wipe out Love Island it could also wipe out a few hundred quid for a new TV. Laughing

Good luck,
Tony

Back to top Go down
Sharpshooter
Major contributor
Major contributor
Sharpshooter

Call Sign : 163-CT-329
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : Deeside, Flintshire
Equipment Used : A growing list

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 1:43 am

Tonyvic wrote:
Sharpshooter wrote:

Or so i thought.

Nige, did you keep the old 'H' aerial, if so you could chop it up and build a couple of beams for pmr. lol!
Have you considered that bunging loads of power back down the tv coax won't only wipe out Love Island it could also wipe out a few hundred quid for a new TV. Laughing

Good luck,
Tony

No it's long gone many years ago Tony.
But I do have a TV antenna in the shed I used for caravaning.
It was new but took down during the digital con by an unsuspecting poor bugger.
So I've thought of converting that.

The TV Aerial I fitted in the loft goes to a powered splitter box and coax to each room in the house. 
The TV in my caravan was much cheaper.

But hey, I don't watch much TV these days so good riddance 👍🤣

keithgriffin1962 and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question   antenna - PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PMR446 antenna near freeview aerial question
Page 1 of 1