Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Antenna Advice.....?
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:12 am by Victor

» First dx in 40 plus years
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 pm by John123

» 10m dxcc ......
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:40 am by peewee norfolk

» Multimode mobile antenna
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

» had a change around
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:22 am by SangueG

» Back Again (Returning Member)
Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 pm by John123

Keywords
2022 2023 6900 meter sign Mobile yaesu 9900 chart ALINCO anytone software Mckinley list frequency power call Baofeng ss9900 Sirio supply callsign antenna president display lincoln
QRZ Database

Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Empty
PostSubject: Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?   Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi All,

A matter of opinion this one. I live near Manchester Airport and there is some activity on the band's in the area. 

I have a 9m telescopic pole and a small garden I can put it up in with my T2LT attached - I am yet to make a contact on FM 4 watts from this set up but will keep trying. 

I don't want to put up a permanent vertical attached to the house, so was wondering what people think about Inverted V Dipole antennas in the loft. 

I think they would be similar in height (give or take a m or so). I know polarity is questionable for local contacts as most use verticals - would it still work? Does anyone use an Inverted V set up? 

Is it worth the bother of crawling around the loft to set one up or just persist with the T2LT on a pole?

Cheers,

Tony
Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?   Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi Tony,

I used to have an Inverted V antenna in my loft for 11m and it was pretty awful for local CB contacts but absolutely awesome for DX especially with good propagation conditions and SSB use.

That said I did get some Continental action on it a few summers ago using FM on the Euro/CEPT/Mid block frequencies but again on some sporadic 'e' DX.

A contact that used to hit me S9+ on a vertical dipole dropped to around S7 with the Inverted V and another that was a good radio five but S5 on the vertical all but disappeared into the noise with the inverted.

That's just my experience and others are bound to have different opinions probably relating to antenna theory, maths, numbers etc. Wink

Hope that helps if only even a little.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?   Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 8:11 pm

Hi Victor,

Absolutely spot on thanks. From my reading on the internet and considering your own experience this seems to rings true with many others. As you say, as a DX proposition the Inverted V has its uses. Perhaps not the best 'one antenna solution'. One to mull over I think.

Many thanks,

Tony

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?   Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2022 8:24 pm

No worries Tony, just that was my experience but commonly heard.

In the end I went for my Ham ticket and never had so much fun with all those bands and frequencies. Unfortunately the problem reared it's ugly head again contacting a friend on 2m mobile as well as the repeaters but at least a vertical for that was easier to squeeze in my loft space! Wink

As much as I love my radio I live in a very 'conservative' village so don't have any antennas on display. (Not worth the hassle!) With my 'doublet' bit of wire in my loft now though I've been slowly working the world on HF and thoroughly enjoying it.

I wish you well with your antenna discoveries as well as radio ventures.

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?   Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inverted V Dipole in Loft Vs T2LT outside?
Page 1 of 1