Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeToday at 12:19 am by John123

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» New shack in operation.
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:46 pm by VanRougeT4

» 11m conditions
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 pm by Victor

» Gainmaster 5/8
Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
yaesu lincoln Sirio president software meter ss9900 Mobile 9900 callsign anytone 2022 Mckinley antenna display chart ALINCO sign 2024 call 2023 6900 Baofeng power frequency list
QRZ Database

Potentially Qualifying Activation

Go down 
+2
Alan Pilot
pete_winkley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pete_winkley

Call Sign : 26-CTX-355 2E0PNW
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Radlett Hertfodshire
Equipment Used : FT-891, Ft-818, EFHW, Inverted V Dip[ole

Potentially Qualifying Activation Empty
PostSubject: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2022 7:37 pm

Hi,

I recently rejoined the CT forum after an extended absence, I am liking the sounds of the CTX group.  Hiking and radios are two of my favourite things.  I am hoping to qualify for a CTX call sign however, my planned activation is a little short notice so might have to save it for another time.  Also, if this has any impact, I will struggle for anything 'Extreme' over the next 6 or so months.  I am based in North London and there is very little terrain that I would qualify as extreme in an easily accessible distance. I will be more active with a change of homebase in the not too distant future, so if that is going to prove an issue, no worries.  I can always got for the qualification another day.

My current plan is due to an un expected visit from the inlaws, I will am going to have an afternoon to myself this Weds.  I am staying up in Manchester to am planning to duck out the Peak District to play a little radio. All plans are obviously weather dependant.

The plan is to activate from Bleaklow Head, it is 633m ASL and approx 1 hours hike from the nearest car park timings TBC.  I am anticipating a couple of hours at the summit but that will depend on a couple of factors and I will be field testing my CB setup, so things could always go sideways Wink

Equipment List.
Usual Hiking Kit
- Boots, hiking clothes etc.
- Fleece or down jacket depending on likely temps.
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Hat and gloves incase of unexpected temp drops
- Water bladder (3L if full)
- Snacks (cereal bars and jelly sweets)
- OS Maps on phone (primary source of navigation)
- Paper map and compass as backup

Safety Kit
- Lite first aid Kit
- Emergency Storm Shelter
- Water filter
- Torch
- Whistle
- Mobile phone

Radio Kit
- Anytone AT6666
- Handy for 2/70cm and PMR
- 7AH LiFe Battery Pack
- T2LT antenna and support pole
- Slim Jim or Telescopic Antenna
- Notebook and Pen for logging

I think that about covers it.  My safety kit generally just lives in my hiking bag so might be a few items I have missed but I feel I have got it faily well refined so am comfotrable that I will have everything I need.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to provide.

Pete
26CT355/2E0PNW

John123, Razz229, Victor, Ace and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
http://2e0pnw.net
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2022 6:11 am

Good luck with all that on your back.
Sounds like you enjoy your hiking and a very sensible hiker at that.
Where i live we used to see the chopper setting off to rescue walkers of Snowdon and the amount of them just in shorts and trainers was a joke.
22 squadron relocated now so we don't notice the same.

Victor and pete_winkley like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2022 7:16 am

Hi Pete,

I've passed on your details and posting to the admin team as we currently do not have anyone dealing with CTX activations.

However I do wish you good luck with your ventures.

All the best,
Victor

pete_winkley likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2022 7:19 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Pete,

I've passed on your details and posting to the admin team as we currently do not have anyone dealing with CTX activations.

However I do wish you good luck with your ventures.

All the best,
Victor

Thanks Victor,

Appreciate it.  No worries either way.  I will be out on the hills anyway (life permitting).  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help in that regard.  I am a big fan of portable ops and would like to help support.

Thanks

Pete

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2022 7:24 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Good luck with all that on your back.
Sounds like you enjoy your hiking and a very sensible hiker at that.
Where i live we used to see the chopper setting off to rescue walkers of Snowdon and the amount of them just in shorts and trainers was a joke.
22 squadron relocated now so we don't notice the same.
Morning,

Thanks, I know it sounds like a lot but it is not actually to bad to carry.  I would rather take extra kit and know I has some resilience.  I used to live down in Plymouth and new some of the mountain rescue guys that covererd Dartmoor, some of the stories they told were mad.

Thanks

Pete
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2022 5:42 pm

Hello Pete,

I would say that your plans more than meet the requirements to be allocated a CTX call sign.

Let me know when you've done the activation, it would be great if you could post some pictures or video for the benefit of our members and I will add the coveted CTX to your call sign.

Good luck with your adventure stay safe!!

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.

Razz229, Victor and Alan Pilot like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2022 7:45 pm

GaryWilson wrote:
Hello Pete,

I would say that your plans more than meet the requirements to be allocated a CTX call sign.

Let me know when you've done the activation, it would be great if you could post some pictures or video for the benefit of our members and I will add the coveted CTX to your call sign.

Good luck with your adventure stay safe!!

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Awesome thanks, Gary.

I will let you know once I have completed it and will add some pics and a brief write-up to this thread.  Fingers crossed for the go-ahead tomorrow.

Thanks

Pete

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kaosss
CT Directors
CT Directors
Kaosss

Call Sign : 163CT777, 163RC777 163FB777, JR131, ex 163LR001
Times Thanked : 27
QTH or Location : Flintshire, N Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000d, Kenwood TS 2000, Heil mic, 5 ele yagi

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2022 9:47 pm

Sounds like a great setup Pete, if you can, post up a time you are likely to be on air here, I'll certainly have a listen out for you.
Good conditions on 11m lately to, hope the weather is not to bad

GaryWilson and Victor like this post

Back to top Go down
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, due to some minor family issues I have had to postpone the activation. There won't be enough day light to do it safely.
I will update this thread when I get another opportunity, hopefully tomorrow or the day after.

Pete

Kaosss likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kaosss
CT Directors
CT Directors
Kaosss

Call Sign : 163CT777, 163RC777 163FB777, JR131, ex 163LR001
Times Thanked : 27
QTH or Location : Flintshire, N Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT2000d, Kenwood TS 2000, Heil mic, 5 ele yagi

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 8:56 pm

Keep us posted, family and safety first always Pete, always another day for radio Smile

John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 157
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2022 10:04 pm

Good luck with it, Pete.👍
Back to top Go down
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Morning,

Thanks guys.  A day later than intended but I am heading out today.  I will be on the summit around 2-2:30 hopefully so should be about on 11m from 3 onwards.  Gonna have a play on 2 meters first.  I will give a call around 27.555 depending on how mullered it is and if time permits will have a go on some FM probably channel 14 uk.

Not sure what conditions are doing but hope to catch some of you on the air, trying out my new CTX call sign.

Pete

Kaosss, Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2022 1:44 pm

Hi All,

I thought I would post a quick update on how I got on.

Firstly, here is the kit I took.  I ended up switching out the T2LT in favour of an EFHW.  It is lighter and has a much lower profile in the wind, which was still looking pretty high on the summit.  The trade-off for a slight loss of efficiency seemed worthwhile to allow me to actually activate and saved the need to faff about with guys.

Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2013

I parked at the snake pass summit and hiked in from there.  Only about a 5mile round trip but it was reasonably technical and took me about an hour each way.

The WX was dry and not cold, feeling about 6 degrees on the summit.

I set up the HT first to do a HEMA activation of the Summit and was quickly able to get half a dozen contacts in the log.  I then set up for 11m and had a listen round on the band before having a go at calling CQ.  I didn't have much luck calling and getting a response, I suspect only running about 10W I was getting swamped by people running higher power.  I did however have a fair bit of luck, both local and DX coming back to people's CQ calls.  Conditions over the pond were a bit up and down, with signals fading in and out so I wasn't able to make any contacts stick to the other side of the pond.

I also sat for a while and enjoyed listening to all the stations coming in.  Being away from man-made noise really helps with the Rx.  I did put out a couple of calls on FM but got no response.  I didn't get a huge number of contacts in the log, but I was pretty satisfied with those I did and had a great afternoon hiking and playing a spot of radio.

Thanks for reading, back in the big smoke now so nothing too adventurous for me for a little while now.

Pete
26CT355/2E0PNW
Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2015Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2014Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2016Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2017
Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2018
Potentially Qualifying Activation Img_2019

GaryWilson, Victor, Alan Pilot, Tonyvic and Red Rooster LN-4614 like this post

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2022 7:54 pm

Excellent stuff Pete, I very much appreciated reading about your activity. Looking forward to seeing some more as and when you do them.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 360
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2022 6:36 am

Hi Pete,

I agree with Gary in that your postings with your outdoor radio adventures are absolutely excellent!

Look forward to more and would like to thank you for sharing with us all. 

All the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
pete_winkley

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2022 8:51 pm

Thanks very much, guys, glad you enjoy them.  

Will post some more when I am out and about.  Just need to find some high ground for Wednesday now.....

Pete
26CT355/2E0PNW

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potentially Qualifying Activation   Potentially Qualifying Activation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Potentially Qualifying Activation
Page 1 of 1