Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Callsign request (Issued)
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:50 pm by AMM

» Call-sign Request (Issued)
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:50 pm by GolfAlphaZulu

» New Call Sign pls!
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Roydon

» 11m conditions
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:37 pm by John123

» New shack in operation.
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:35 pm by John123

» Minor application (Issued)
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:29 pm by John123

» HF Contacts 10m
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:10 pm by VanRougeT4

» *9th Anniversary South Coast PMR 446 Network - 9/9/2024*
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:06 am by Razz229

» When your daughter thinks she knows you...
lightning arestors Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:07 am by 43CT016

Keywords
callsign meter 2022 display ss9900 list 2011 Mckinley power frequency 2024 software 9900 sign Baofeng lincoln anytone call antenna ALINCO Sirio 2023 6900 chart president yaesu
QRZ Database

lightning arestors

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rabbi
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : m3kbd/2e0kbd/m0kbd
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : stockton on tees
Equipment Used : kenwood ts 2000x ascom 70mhz icom vlf/hf/uhf receivers multiband antennas

lightning arestors Empty
PostSubject: lightning arestors   lightning arestors Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 9:12 am

hi i disconect the coax on hf when not in use the vhf/uhf antenna is on a mfj 4 way antenna switch is in the ground position that has a type of fuse i tryed to use lightning arestor on my vhf/uhf antenna unable to tune i have got my old hf vertical off the roof i will repair it form ground mounting with a lighting aresstor but i think it is realy more for static discharge thanks for looking paul m0kbd 73s 
santa
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 13
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

lightning arestors Empty
PostSubject: Re: lightning arestors   lightning arestors Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2022 3:26 pm

Lightning arrestor is a bad name, Alpha Delta call them surge protectors.

Why, because they do not stop lightning, they will stop a surge from a near by strike
and ground static build up when it gets to high.

Unplugging is fine but if you unplug inside you house/shack good ol lightning still comes inside
and makes a mess. Unplug outside the shack if you can, keep lightning outside at all costs.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
K4TZO
K4TZO

Call Sign : K4TZO
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : TITUSVILLE, FL
Equipment Used : FT-991a (3), CHA-250HD, ATAS-120a (2), EFHW..

lightning arestors Empty
PostSubject: Re: lightning arestors   lightning arestors Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2024 6:15 pm

I live in the most active lightning area in the USA and maybe the world.  NASA has had a lightning research center here since the 1970s or so.  When I first moved here, Hayes modems had a surge protection guarantee that they would replace any damaged product post-paid and free.  Replaced six in my first summer.  I have good protection from my power company and a minimal charge metered surge detection and insurance policy.  They paid over $6k 2 yrs ago when detected lightning took out my AC and pool pump.  Was not active in ham radio at first, but renewed in 2020.  I have arrestors at the base of masts for my verticals, and also at my "window plate" entrance to the house (shack in a spare bedroom).  I always disconnect my coax lines from the window plate when equipment is off.  Thought I had a problem in my UVS-300 vhf/uhf vertical, but that proved to be simple corrosion of the internal connection to the bottom segment of this 3-section antenna.  Simple cleaning restored the excellent performance. Something unexplained caused a failure of a vhf card in one of my FT-991a's. Repair guy found that an internel printed circuit run in a multi-layer card had become intermittent such that wiggling could restore proper function.  Only repair was to replace that card.  Unexplained and not likely a lightning probem.  Point is that I know the issues and susceptibilities rather well (Life Member IEEE, 60+ years ham) and simple precautions have been enough for me for years of hazardous exposure.  Needs caution, but not paranoia.  I would NOT use any kind of antenna switch as protection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lightning arestors Empty
PostSubject: Re: lightning arestors   lightning arestors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lightning arestors
Page 1 of 1