Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» CT call sign (Issued)
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by babis3g

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

» Help needed
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:02 am by Mighty mutts

» Is FM CB still alive?
Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:26 am by axlejack

Keywords
Baofeng Mobile chart supply 2022 lincoln frequency president yaesu anytone ALINCO call 2023 meter 6900 Mckinley list display power callsign Sirio antenna software ss9900 9900 sign
QRZ Database

Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna

Go down 
+2
Mitch
JimmyD
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JimmyD

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Bromley
Equipment Used : Kenwood R-2000

Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Empty
PostSubject: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2022 3:26 pm

Hi all new member here and im a novice. I have a Kenwood R-2000 receiver and so far am getting not bad results with a dipole strung up across my bedroom, im on the first floor. Looking forward I will likely buy a CB and have decided on a Sirio half wave antenna as it will not need ground planes and looks discreet. Im planning on mounting it to the wall outside my shack window on the first floor so top of antenna will be higher than the roof line. Im planning on a 1 gang wall mounted female connector in my shack so I can plug/unplug the coax to my set at random. However, my question is this, as the Sirio half wave is metal should I earth it ? If i dont earth it then a lightning strike could potentially make the wall connector in my shack (which is also next to my bed, yes my shack is my bedroom) live. Any ideas ? I suppose the easiest thing would be to get a fibre glass antenna, but for some reason im sold on the metal Sirio 1/2 wave. Thanks for any advice.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 8
QTH or Location : Leicester
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2022 9:26 pm

The best protection is to unscrew the coax from the aerial if a storm's approaching, assuming you'll be able to reach it. There is a DC short to ground inside the base of a silver rod type (matching coil), so if it's struck the whole coax inside and out will carry the 'spark'. Earthing the aerial will only make it more attractive to potential strikes and more likely to destroy your room and damage the house as well as your kit. It will be earthed to your radio in use anyway so no need for a seperate ground imo.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2022 10:02 pm

Just looked that Kenwood up, it looks a nice receiver.

I can't help with your grounding questions much. My shack is similar to yours in that it is a very small amount of space in the corner of my bedroom right next to my bed. All my permanent antennas are in the loft. I just disconnect the coax at the sign of any storms and cross my fingers.

What I can say is, don't go buying a fibreglass antenna thinking you'll be safe from lightning. It will have metal rods or wires running up inside the fibreglass and act just the same as any other half wave in a storm.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
JimmyD

QTH or Location : Bromley
Equipment Used : Kenwood R-2000

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2022 11:04 pm

Thanks for responses,  I get what you mean that the safest method is to undo the coax from antenna completely when a storms approaching but that would mean leaning out the window, removing the amalgamating tape ect ect, then reinstalling it when the storms clears.  

Are there not any types of isolator that can be installed along the coax where its indoors to save the faff as above ? I guess thou that a lightning strike could arc an isolator anyway and might be more harm than good. Anyway should i be concerned about lightning anyway, my TV aerial has never been hit for as long as I can remember so would a cb antenna be any different I wonder.

rabbi likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeWed Dec 14, 2022 6:44 am

There are lightening arrestors to be had.
Don't think they will be any good if you do catch a strike.
I have a Diamond one i was given as a present and it's fitted looks good earthed to it's own rod in the ground but i wont hold my breath.
Add your gear to your house insurance jic.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Lightning arrestor is an unfortunate description of these devices.

Surge protector is far better description.

The surge protector should be outside the shack, do not invite lightning in.
Disconnecting the coax is ok but still invites lightning into the shack/house.

walt likes this post

Back to top Go down
walt

Call Sign : CT2934
QTH or Location : West Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu / LCL / Midland / ICOM

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2022 6:28 am

I'd recommend a surge protector. They're not expensive and you won't notice any appreciable output loss (or increase in SWR) - but it may save your rig or a fire!
Something like e.g.: https://www.hamradio.co.uk/accessories/lightning-arresters-surge-protection/diamond-sp-1000-pd-4897
Smile
73's

JimmyD likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna   Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lightning protection for silver rod type antenna
Page 1 of 1