Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by John H

» New Callsign Request
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:35 pm by Maxander

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 2:31 pm by FreqFreak

»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeToday at 1:12 pm by 26CT1074

» Thunderpole Galaxy 5/8 antenna now operational
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:47 pm by Lynton

» South Coast PMR net report
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 am by Razz229

» CT CALLSIGN APPLICATION (Issued)
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:44 pm by GaryWilson

» New callsing request (Issued)
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm by GaryWilson

» hi, I am Indonesia cb ers. my callsign JZ10JEN ..I want have dx callsign.. (Issued)
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2024 6:43 pm by GaryWilson

Keywords
Mckinley lincoln software chart 6900 meter power list Baofeng callsign 2023 Mobile frequency supply 2022 yaesu 9900 ss9900 sign president anytone ALINCO display antenna call Sirio
QRZ Database

CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Empty
PostSubject: CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?   CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2024 4:24 pm

CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Mp-yam10
Yesterday i visited a new ham (passed exam last tuesday) to deliver a power supply. He allready had bought some second hand antennas, one of which was a silver rod (or GPA or whatever they are called) He had removed the matching spool and replaced that with a 1:9 Unun. I saw the readout of the SWR on his nanoVNA which was about 1:4 or lower from 7Mhz all the way up to 90Mhz. So this antenna with an ATU would be very usefull as an HF multiband. I saw it, but couldn't believe it. What am i missing? SWR is not the holy grail, but what would the problems of this antenna be?

Karel
PS: If that works, i still have such an antenna laying around CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? 1f609

VanRougeT4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

Call Sign : 14-CT-019 - G1DBS
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Montreuil sur Mer
Equipment Used : XIEGU G90 - President Lincoln 2 +

PostSubject: Re: CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?   CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2024 6:14 pm

From an internet search, a siver rod is 16'5". This falls very close to 16' which is a length to avoid for a random wire to match 50 to 75 ohms to the rig with a 9:1 transformer for HF. However, at such short lengths other factors may come into play; feeder length for example. The only way to see what's going on is to test at the point where the coax goes into the rig with an analyser. It's an interesting topic though and should be explored further.

Deb
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?   CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2024 9:17 pm

From what has been described it sounds he's made something like a GPA-80 or similar no radial verticals. ATU will probably bring into line on many bands and I'm sure it will work, but I bet more satisfactorily on some bands more than others. Coax might be acting as a counterpoise. Fair play to him if he's made a cheap option to get him on multiple bands.

karelgol likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?   CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 am

All SWR shows you is there's an impedance match, which has nothing whatsoever to do with radiation efficient.  Remember, a good dummy load gives a 1:1 SWR, but it's not a very good antenna.

There are many published lengths for antennas that give an acceptable SWR with a 9:1 unun, and I suspect electrically he just happens to have hit one of those. 

Nothing wrong with a compromise antenna either, if it's all you have.  Most important is getting on air, and learning as you do so, if he's a new Ham.

GaryWilson and karelgol like this post

Back to top Go down
karelgol
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
karelgol

Call Sign : 19-CT-024 / PD0GOL
Times Thanked : 6
QTH or Location : Steenwijk, JO32bs
Equipment Used : Dynascan AT5555,Yaesu FT-897, W3EDP junior, MFJ-925

PostSubject: Re: CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?   CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2024 8:15 pm

I'm going to explore further. Had an old silver rod laying around, so did my son. Did some restauration to it, made one from two, cleanup, changing the bolts and clamps with stainless versions. Removed the spool fom the bottom and replaced the SO239 with 2 wire connectors.

Furthermore i modelled the new setup in CocoaNEC. The outcome of this evaluation was that:
- the use of a 1:4 unun gave a lower SWR then an 1:9 unun. On 40m 10.1, lower on 20 and 10m (the only bands i'm licensed for)
- i usually use the Spiderbeam pole or a fiberglass surf mast. Taking into account an aluminum tube as antenna support improved the results
- modelling the coax outside as a couterpoise also gives improvement.

To do:
- put up the antenna with an aluminum tupe as support, using a 1:4 unun and RF choke.
 (done, antenna length 5.5m)
- analyse the results with my nanoVNA.
(done and still todo with changing setups)
- See what difference the RF choke makes
(without RF choke SWR on 40-20-10 was lower, but when connecting the ATU and radio it didn't get a reasonable tuned SWR, especially on 40, with RF choke i got good results (no beeps) on 20 and 10 and 4 beeps on 40 which means SWR< 3.0)
- See what influence varying the bottom height of the alu tube has (between 0 and 2.60m).
(Still to do)
- Analyse the influence of the length of the alu tube (3 or 6m)
(Still todo, now i have mounted the antenna on a 2m alu tube)
- Does lengthening the antenna improve results? I could add 1m(as seen in the pic), which would make the length the same as the commercially available GPA-80HF.
(Still todo)
Also:
Back to modelling, varying the height and length of the antenna and varying the bottom height of the alu tube, to predict improvements

CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? 20240512
CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? 20240511
To be continued.

Karel

Mavic2Pro likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?   CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
Page 1 of 1