Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» gre 225 radio scanner
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeToday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeToday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeToday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

» Anytone 6667
power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:24 am by Julian brian

Keywords
yaesu power antenna anytone software chart list 2022 Baofeng Mobile 2023 9900 Sirio ALINCO ss9900 callsign 6900 Mckinley frequency meter sign lincoln supply call president display
QRZ Database

Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450

Go down 
+4
43CT016
Alan Pilot
Victor
Tonyvic
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

Call Sign : 26-CT-4013/M7DVQ
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : Brighton, East Sussex
Equipment Used : Yaesu 991a - Imax 2000 - CRT Electro - Sharman X50

power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Empty
PostSubject: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2023 4:01 pm

I have now spent enough hours on this and looking for help.

WSJTX mostly works fine with Test Cat turning green and PTT to red showing Tx but the power meter on the radio only shows 2W peak with radio set to 10W.

I have discovered that the Mic is still live, I expected it to be disabled and everything going through the data port at the rear.
If I unplug the Mic whilst in Tx the power meter goes down to zero, so I guess the 2W showing is simply noise from the mic.

I can't find a setting to change this, please try to put me out of my misery. Crying or Very sad

Tony
Back to top Go down
https://allradio.co.uk
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi Tony,

I have to unplug the mic on my FT757 whilst running WJSTX also.

I do remember having problems when I first set up with power levels and had to adjust the sound input/output levels via the computer's 'Sound' settings in the control panel.

Hopefully it's something as simple as this. power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 1f44d

All the best,
Victor

(Bit of a nightmare when I did it as I have an external USB soundcard which has it's own manual level controls and so does my radio sound interface too! Got there in the end......then changed from Linux to Windows and had to figure it out all over again. Rolling Eyes )

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2023 6:49 pm

Victor wrote:
I have to unplug the mic on my FT757 whilst running WJSTX also.
Oh ok Victor thanks, strange things these radios aren't they. A buddy along the coast has a FT450D and he doesn't have to remove his mic when on FT8. Surprised 
I'm thinking in that case it's either my made-up data lead or the external usb soundcard! I will double check tomorrow.

Can I also ask, do you have the radio set on usb only or usb/data mode. My buddy has his on usb only but a number of others use usb/data, no wonder I'm confused! Rolling Eyes 

Cheers,
Tony
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...MW7TTA
Times Thanked : 69
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 6:12 am

This data mode thing is funny.
On my ft-991a i just have usb set and works fine.
On my ftdx-10 i have to set it to usb-data mode to work.
One thing i found was after changing anything i had to close the program and open it again for the changes to work not every change but i got into the close/open thing anyway.

Victor and Tonyvic like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 7:15 am

Tony,

I don't own or have ever operated the FT450 but simply offered suggestions of typical problems associated with the WJSTX software such as sound settings. (Judging by the amount of Windows notifications sounds or voices heard on the FT4/8 frequencies others still struggle when they believe they are operational! Wink ) Last time I went as far as downloading the service manual/circuit diagram to help you out with your cable wiring, such pieces of equipment being less strange when you know what's going on inside them.

As Alan has mentioned it seems that for whatever designed or setup reason different radios require a different mode setting. 
On my old FT757 I use the USB mode with the VOX for PTT and the actual homemade audio interface hooks to the AFSK input. (Which internally is the same circuitry as the MIC input.) On my equally as old FT290r I have home made circuitry including a VOX PTT that actually hooks up to the front MIC input. Neither have CAT control so operation is a bit more involved than a mouse click.

I can only wish you well with it all Tony and hope that you eventually get set up as the rewards of digital mode operations are well worth it.

Victor

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 3:54 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
This data mode thing is funny.
On my ft-991a i just have usb set and works fine.
On my ftdx-10 i have to set it to usb-data mode to work.
One thing i found was after changing anything i had to close the program and open it again for the changes to work not every change but i got into the close/open thing anyway.
Thanks Alan, I also discovered a few days ago that some things didn't happen when I expected them to and likewise closing & opening the prog did the trick!
Different settings etc with different radios I can grasp, but with my buddy not having to unplug his mic when I have the same radio I can't get my head around that part. Surprised

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2023 4:06 pm

Victor wrote:
Tony,

I don't own or have ever operated the FT450 but simply offered suggestions of typical problems associated with the WJSTX software such as sound settings. (Judging by the amount of Windows notifications sounds or voices heard on the FT4/8 frequencies others still struggle when they believe they are operational! Wink ) Last time I went as far as downloading the service manual/circuit diagram to help you out with your cable wiring, such pieces of equipment being less strange when you know what's going on inside them.

As Alan has mentioned it seems that for whatever designed or setup reason different radios require a different mode setting. 
On my old FT757 I use the USB mode with the VOX for PTT and the actual homemade audio interface hooks to the AFSK input. (Which internally is the same circuitry as the MIC input.) On my equally as old FT290r I have home made circuitry including a VOX PTT that actually hooks up to the front MIC input. Neither have CAT control so operation is a bit more involved than a mouse click.

I can only wish you well with it all Tony and hope that you eventually get set up as the rewards of digital mode operations are well worth it.

Victor
Again I thank you Victor for your knowledge and help on here, and apologise for starting a new topic when it is related to the one you refer to.
Other topic
I will continue to try other settings and not ask any more questions for a while Exclamation
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2023 5:50 am

Tonyvic wrote:

Thanks Alan, I also discovered a few days ago that some things didn't happen when I expected them to and likewise closing & opening the prog did the trick!
Different settings etc with different radios I can grasp, but with my buddy not having to unplug his mic when I have the same radio I can't get my head around that part. Surprised

I don't know the FT-450, but in general, things that cause no/low power on ft8 are:

Wrong sound card selected in wsjt-x application, meaning PC sends it's output to somewhere other than the radio (On the 450, I'm assuming you are just using an audio cable to the data socket on the radio, as I don't think it has an inbuilt sound card, does it?).
Radio not in data mode, and/or data mode input not set to the USB port
Output level slider in wsjt-x minimized!

With regards the mic, usually when you set to data mode it tells the radio to ignore the mic and take the audio input form the data jack (Or inbuilt USB sound card in never radios).  I wonder if your mate is using a cable that somehow utilises the mic connector and that's the difference?

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2023 6:28 pm

Jeff, Thank you for the input!
Correct USB sound card is selected in wsjt-x
Correct no sound card in ft450 so yes using audio cable from radio data port to sabrent usb audio stereo sound adaptor - computer.

On the radio lcd screen I have tried usb and usb/data settings, also in wsjtx tried usb and data/pkt.
In the radio Catrate setting tried all the catrates as well as data.

I don't understand what you mean by "data mode input not set to the USB port" 
Output slider is about 80% up.

My mate is using the Yaesu scu-17 but don't think it uses the mic connector.
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 6:36 am

Tonyvic wrote:
Jeff, Thank you for the input!
Correct USB sound card is selected in wsjt-x
Correct no sound card in ft450 so yes using audio cable from radio data port to sabrent usb audio stereo sound adaptor - computer.

On the radio lcd screen I have tried usb and usb/data settings, also in wsjtx tried usb and data/pkt.
In the radio Catrate setting tried all the catrates as well as data.

I don't understand what you mean by "data mode input not set to the USB port" 
Output slider is about 80% up.

My mate is using the Yaesu scu-17 but don't think it uses the mic connector.

Forget the USB port as you don't have one on that radio.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 11:34 am

Ivy Mike wrote:
Forget the USB port as you don't have one on that radio.
Yep I know that Mike! Smile

Anyway thanks guys for your input, BUT I admit defeat and have given up on the cheap route.
Just purchased the Yaesu SCU-17 interface and keeping fingers crossed.

Victor and Ivy Mike like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7300,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 2:52 pm

11 out of 10 for effort Tony.
You have more patience than i have ever had.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 3:16 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
11 out of 10 for effort Tony.
You have more patience than i have ever had.
Thanks Alan, but only 11 out of 10? Laughing
Anyway an update:
I connected the radio, scu-17 and PC last night ready for todays testing. About mid-day today I went through all the settings required on the radio & wsjt-x, Then at 12.26 had QSO with Romania. Very Happy
After lunch put out a CQ call at 2.10pm and 'blow me down' had QSO with the good ol' USA.

Now to learn all the sundry software/progs. etc. to go with it.

From a very happy bunny albino
Tony

John Patrick and skyrider like this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 3:21 pm

Spot on Tony.
10m has a bit on form over the pond.
Well at the moment but now i have said that it will drop out lol.
Tip but you might know make sure your computer time is spot on.
You can get programs that will keep it updated.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 4:06 pm

Alan Pilot wrote:
Tip but you might know make sure your computer time is spot on.
You can get programs that will keep it updated.
Yes thanks Alan, I have 'Net Time' installed.

Alan Pilot likes this post

Back to top Go down
skyrider
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4654
Times Thanked : 2
QTH or Location : Preston, Lancs.
Equipment Used : UNIDEN 100, midland alan 78 plus multi + mag mount , silver rod

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 6:11 pm

well done Tony full marks   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 1f44d

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2023 7:53 pm

skyrider wrote:
well done Tony full marks   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 1f44d
Thanks Lionel, I have now learned how to export My log from WSJT-X to QRZ. Cool

power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Qrz_lo10
Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 6:36 am

Tonyvic wrote:
skyrider wrote:

Gridtracker is the way to go.
Up loads in an instant to eQSL, QRZ and LoTW.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 7:21 am

Ivy Mike wrote:
Tonyvic wrote:
skyrider wrote:

Do you need to be a subscriber to do that from gridtracker.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 9:09 am

Well done Tony. It's a good feeling when it all starts working isn't it? Smile

Re Gridtracker, I'm all ears if anyone posts any notes on tips on setting that up to instantly log QSOs from WSJT-X to QRZ or LotW. I tried setting up when I started playing with FT8 at the beginning of the year but failed to get it to work... think I was trying to run before I could walk kind of thing. More I'd like it to instantly log to station-master.online because from there it automatically logs to QRZ. I know it can be done, just haven't got my head around it.

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 9:59 am

Well done Tony it's all fun from here on in. power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 1f44d

I know you finally had to give in and buy an interface but at least you're off the ground and running now. Just a case of getting your head around all the logging options and ancillary software which can be a nightmare, (or buggers wanting cash from you with subscriptions!)

Now you've got to experience the frustrations of being 'stomped' on, powerful stations right next to you on the waterfall with their accompanying splatter, being ignored thinking there's something wrong with your setup and a myriad of other frustrations. Wink

When the waterfall signals bounce around like fleas with no gaps for you to transmit it'll be exasperating, but sublime parallel lines and well behaved QSO's will see you in heaven with the contacts you'll gain.

(It's sometimes worth visiting bands like 12m, 17m & 30m if you can with the lower activity being kinder for QRP stations.)

Enjoy yourself. Smile

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
John Patrick
John Patrick

Call Sign : 26-CT-4515
Times Thanked : 10
QTH or Location : Brighton
Equipment Used : Baofeng UV5R - Midland 2001- President Mc Kinley & President Randy III, GT-3TP

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 11:09 am

Well done Tony affraid

I knew you would get there in the end . look forward to hear about your distant contacts .Very Happy:D:D

Tonyvic likes this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 11:10 am

Alan Pilot wrote:
Do you need to be a subscriber to do that from gridtracker.

You need to be an XML subscriber on QRZ, and Bronze on eQSL at a minimum to bring in live updates.

Ivy Mike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2023 11:13 am

Thanks for that Jeff.
Will stick to uploading my ADI file each day.
Back to top Go down
Tonyvic
Major contributor
Major contributor
Tonyvic

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2023 1:05 am

Ivy Mike wrote:

Many thanks Mike, I have now sorted that out. Until your post I was expecting to be manually uploading regularly. Smile

Quote :
Well done Tony it's all fun from here on in. power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 1f44d

I know you finally had to give in and buy an interface but at least you're off the ground and running now. Just a case of getting your head around all the logging options and ancillary software which can be a nightmare, (or buggers wanting cash from you with subscriptions!)

Now you've got to experience the frustrations of being 'stomped' on, powerful stations right next to you on the waterfall with their accompanying splatter, being ignored thinking there's something wrong with your setup and a myriad of other frustrations. power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_wink

When the waterfall signals bounce around like fleas with no gaps for you to transmit it'll be exasperating, but sublime parallel lines and well behaved QSO's will see you in heaven with the contacts you'll gain.

(It's sometimes worth visiting bands like 12m, 17m & 30m if you can with the lower activity being kinder for QRP stations.)

Enjoy yourself. power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_smile
Many thanks Victor. 
I have already experienced some of what you mentioned Rolling Eyes  and I intend to any other band that my atu can tune in.

John Patrick wrote:
Well done Tony power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Affraid

I knew you would get there in the end . look forward to hear about your distant contacts .power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_biggrinVery Happy:D
Cheers John, have no fear you will hear about them. lol!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450   power - Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Low Tx power output WSJTX & Yaesu FT450
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next