Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Your Amateur station is unique....but just how good is it?
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeToday at 7:59 am by Victor

» Giving PMR 446 Another Whirl
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeToday at 6:48 am by SangueG

» New shack in operation.
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeToday at 6:45 am by SangueG

» Galaxy Saturn modification ( -5khz )
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:54 pm by John123

» Static/noise
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by John123

» President Himalaya wb half wave
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:45 pm by John79

» South Coast PMR net report
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:48 pm by Razz229

» 11m conditions
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 pm by John123

» Gainmaster 5/8
Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 5:06 pm by madmax

Keywords
callsign 2024 9900 power anytone Baofeng ALINCO call meter sign Sirio Mobile president lincoln display 2022 6900 yaesu ss9900 software Mckinley chart frequency 2023 antenna list
QRZ Database

Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Canobeer
Canobeer

Call Sign : 26-CT-4836
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Epsom, Surrey
Equipment Used : FT-840

Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Empty
PostSubject: Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas   Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeMon May 08, 2023 4:48 pm

I've already got a horizontal wire for ham bands that covers 11m reasonably well with my atu - and as it was there before a bunch of new houses were built at the far end of the garden I get no strife about it from them. 
I have plenty of room to fit a single-band 'cobweb' too as they're only about 4ft across.

Now I'm coming back to 11m I think I'm going to need a vertical dedicated to 11m for local groundwave traffic. However, now my garden is pretty much surrounded it needs to be reasonably discrete.
Sticking a half-wave up on the chimney-stack is probably out of the question in a street full of cookie-cutter 1930s houses, somebody is sure to whine about it and I don't have the energy to argue with the planning dept.

I might get away with a quarter-wave up there though, by including a modified TV aerial in the tuned length at the top as a capacity-hat and loading it against a dozen or so radials tucked into the roof slates so they're invisible. Has anybody tried that?

Another possible might be to insulate then load up the mast supporting my multiband OCD for the ham bands, but that's very close to the new neighbours (potentially only a foot away from somebody in their garden) and being ground mounted there's the possibility of harm as well as being pretty inefficient down among the buildings rather than above them.

So, I'll open the floor to you... all ideas, (no matter how seemingly daft) will be welcome - they might spark more ideas  Very Happy

Tristar, TheReverend and SteelCityMan like this post

Back to top Go down
SteelCityMan

Call Sign : 26-CT-4837
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Leeds
Equipment Used : Anytone Ares 2, EFHW vertical

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas   Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeMon May 08, 2023 9:31 pm

Try a T2L2....cheap as a length of coax and a bit of solder.

TheReverend likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://https:www.youtube/steelcityman.com
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas   Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeTue May 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Hi Richard,

I would explore the 1/4 wave ground plane option if you really can't go half wave. I think that would be ok with local planning regs as long as it's not too far above the chimney stack. 

The previously mentioned T2LT is a cracking performer I've worked the world on mine. It's essentially a half wave end fed dipole made from coax so can be deployed fairly discretely I've seen them hung from trees and all sorts of places.  I use mine with a fibreglass pole when out portable. It will tune up on 11 & 10 no problems.

Whatever you chose best of luck!!!

73's Gary.

Tristar, TheReverend, SangueG and Canobeer like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas   Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2023 5:36 pm

I agree with exploring the 1/4 wave ground plane. A 9' steel whip up on the roof will be hardly noticeable being so thin, and whilst the dozen or so radials sounds great, it will work very well with only two at 180 degrees from each other.

Tristar, TheReverend, DT9447 and Canobeer like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas   Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brainstorming stealth vertical ideas
Page 1 of 1