Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
»  baofeng t1 mini handy users uk
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeToday at 2:59 pm by Izzi

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeToday at 2:51 pm by Izzi

» CB antenna/ PMR antenna compatibility question.
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeToday at 2:30 pm by Izzi

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeToday at 2:20 pm by Izzi

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeToday at 1:57 pm by micscave

» HF Contacts 15m
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeToday at 10:11 am by VanRougeT4

» CB silver rod as multiband HF antenna?
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:15 pm by karelgol

» 10 Metre Summer Challenge 2024
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:26 pm by SangueG

» MAAS DP-27 dipole antenna tuning
CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:23 pm by madmax

Keywords
frequency Baofeng callsign call meter chart software ss9900 antenna 9900 2023 display sign 6900 president Mobile power supply Mckinley ALINCO yaesu anytone lincoln list Sirio 2022
QRZ Database

CB Signal Reports

Go down 
+2
SangueG
Tony1091
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony1091

Call Sign : 26-CT-4488
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Altrincham
Equipment Used : CB / PMR

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 8:46 am

Morning All,

I was just wondering how important it is for people to receive and be provided with audio / signal reports "You're 5/9 to me"

It seems to be a regular point of conversation or request from breakers. 

I ask because non of my current rigs have a proper analogue meter for signal strength. For accurate readings / reports is one required? 

Thanks

Tony
26CT4488

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 9:09 am

Morning Tony. With everyone's signal meters calibrated differently and lots of other variables like people using pre-amps etc, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can use your ears to give most reports, e.g. if they are really strong with good audio then a 5/9, if they are less so then give lower figures.

If they ask you for their signal there's no harm and saying something like "I don't have an analogue meter on this radio but you're sounding a good 5/5", for example. Many people do this and that's more than fine.

Les-1, Victor, Tristar and Tony1091 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 9:17 am

Hi Tony,

Just about everyone gives a 5/9 whether it is or not. Wink

You'll often hear on air with a DX contact, "Repeat please....Repeat please....Yes my friend, you are five over nine". How the heck could you be 5/9 if they had to ask you to repeat??

Sometimes if you give an honest report of say 4/7 the other party is not sometimes happy about this as they were expecting a 5/9. Rolling Eyes

The full system is R - Readability and S - Signal Strength. (There's also T for tone with CW/Morse use and hence why it's called the 'RST' system.)

It all works out as follows :-

Readability - R

1 - Unreadable
2 - Barely readable, occasional words distinguishable
3 - Readable with considerable difficulty
4 - Readable with practically no difficulty
5 - Perfectly readable

Signal Strength - S

1 - Faint signals, barely perceptible
2 - Very weak signals
3 - Weak signals
4 - Fair signals
5 - Fairly good signals
6 - Good signals
7 - Moderately strong signals
8 - Strong signals
9 - Extremely strong signals

So a 5/9 report is actually "Perfectly readable/Extremely strong signals". In reality any good contact could be 4 or 5 readability with signal strengths of 4 and upwards.

As you can see you don't really need to look at a meter at all knowing if someone is readable or not and whether their signals are strong enough to hear.

I know some get really hooked up in giving as well as receiving 'accurate' signal reports often for the prowess of their setup but in all reality it isn't all that important. Besides, most 'S' meters in any radio is supposed to have a standardised S-9 but often isn't and from there on varies wildly from radio to radio.

Most don't want to memorise the above list so often "5 over 9" is a simple quick convenient report to give.

If I can hear a contact and they can hear me then all is well with the radio world. CB Signal Reports 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Les-1, Tristar and Kenton like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Tony1091

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 11:22 am

SangueG wrote:
Morning Tony. With everyone's signal meters calibrated differently and lots of other variables like people using pre-amps etc, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can use your ears to give most reports, e.g. if they are really strong with good audio then a 5/9, if they are less so then give lower figures.

If they ask you for their signal there's no harm and saying something like "I don't have an analogue meter on this radio but you're sounding a good 5/5", for example. Many people do this and that's more than fine.

Hi SangueG,

Thank you for your response - as you say too many variables for a true accurate and repeatable signal report. 

Signal strength is one thing but useless if you can't hear a word the person is saying. I.e. you could be transmitting a S9 carrier with very low voice  or no audio which would mean the contact might not be made. 

I won't rush out to buy another radio... I have got enough already! Haha 

Regards,

Tony
26CT4488

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Tony1091

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 11:28 am

Victor wrote:
Hi Tony,

You'll often hear on air with a DX contact, "Repeat please....Repeat please....Yes my friend, you are five over nine". How the heck could you be 5/9 if they had to ask you to repeat??

Sometimes if you give an honest report of say 4/7 the other party is not sometimes happy about this as they were expecting a 5/9. Rolling Eyes

The full system is R - Readability and S - Signal Strength. (There's also T for tone with CW/Morse use and hence why it's called the 'RST' system.)

Readability - R

1 - Unreadable
5 - Perfectly readable

Signal Strength - S

2 - Very weak signals
3 - Weak signals
4 - Fair signals
5 - Fairly good signals
6 - Good signals
8 - Strong signals

So a 5/9 report is actually "Perfectly readable/Extremely strong signals". In reality any good contact could be 4 or 5 readability with signal strengths of 4 and upwards.

As you can see you don't really need to look at a meter at all knowing if someone is readable or not and whether their signals are strong enough to hear.

I know some get really hooked up in giving as well as receiving 'accurate' signal reports often for the prowess of their setup but in all reality it isn't all that important. Besides, most 'S' meters in any radio is supposed to have a standardised S-9 but often isn't and from there on varies wildly from radio to radio.

Most don't want to memorise the above list so often "5 over 9" is a simple quick convenient report to give.

If I can hear a contact and they can hear me then all is well with the radio world. CB Signal Reports 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Hi Victor,

Thank you for your detailed response.

I have listened to the ham bands a few times and especially when there is a contest on everyone appears to be 5/9! 😆

Another thing to note is RF gain control and how this affects signal readings. Presumably if you were trying to be consistent you would set and leave alone as this will increase or decrease the metered reading significantly. 

As you have summarised you cannot beat your ears for a recieved report. 

"If I can hear a contact and they can hear me then all is well with the radio world. CB Signal Reports 1f44d "

Well said! 

Regards,

Tony
26CT4488

glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 11:53 am

Past 2 days here in North Finland, very clear 27 555, sig 1 of static but no DX.

Very faint 161 div about 1 hour ago .

Tony1091 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2023 1:43 pm

No worries there Tony.

You'll have to forgive my often detailed answers but I know that others will also be reading this now and possibly in the future and may even be new to everything so gain a bit of useful information. CB Signal Reports 1f44d 

Usually on a radio/rig (on all mine anyway) the S-meter rises accordingly depending on the RF gain setting as it is turned down. That way S-meter readings stills mean something and an S-9 will always be an S-9 regardless. I'm not sure on some of the CB circuitry out there or in the case of pre-amp use but goes to show one aspect of the marked differences between what is supposed to be a 'standard'.

Your own ears usually are the best way of giving a signal report.

Competition 5/9's on the Ham bands?
Signal reports aren't actually required so it's more of a courtesy than anything. If you're trying to bag as many contacts as you can in the allotted time-frame you don't worry about detailed signal reports!

Anyway, radio is too much fun to be worrying about S-meter readings. Wink

All the best to you,
Victor

Tony1091 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kenton
Kenton

Call Sign : 26-CT-4816
QTH or Location : Leatherhead
Equipment Used : UK 40 FM : Midland 77-104uk (from new) / Midland 77-095 / Kernow Beta 1100 / RM KL 203 P /// PMR 446: Baofeng UV5R III

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2023 7:14 pm

Victor wrote:
Hi Tony,

Readability - R

1 - Unreadable
5 - Perfectly readable

Signal Strength - S

2 - Very weak signals
3 - Weak signals
4 - Fair signals
5 - Fairly good signals
6 - Good signals
8 - Strong signals

All the best,
Victor
I love this. This should be a "sticky" on every forum or website regarding UK CB. You absolutely nailed it with this Victor. Such a fantastic explanation to anyone new to the hobby. Great stuff.

Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 5:40 am

Tony1091 wrote:

I have listened to the ham bands a few times and especially when there is a contest on everyone appears to be 5/9! 😆

Another thing to note is RF gain control and how this affects signal readings. Presumably if you were trying to be consistent you would set and leave alone as this will increase or decrease the metered reading significantly. 

Bear in mind some contest rules REQUIRE a 59 be exchanged!

As you say, RF gain and a host of other things affect the S-meter reading, but the RST system predates S-meters anyway, so just go by what you hear.

If I've dialled back the RF Gain, or got the pre-amp on, or both, and they're a decent signal, I'd likely give a 58/59, even if my S-meter is showing S3, as I know WHY it is showing an S3!

If I can barely hear them over the noise, but the noise is S9, then I'd give a 49 or similar (and tell them they were in my noise), and conversely if their signal is low but perfectly readable nothing wrong with a 53 or similar either.  Quite often get that with SOTA guys running QRP but perfectly readable.

As Victor says, nothing funnier (outside a contest) than someone asking for a callsign and getting it wrong several times, then giving a 59!

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 5:42 am

Hi Chris,

I'm not the originator of this system in any way (credit is due to an American Ham W2BSR way back in 1934!) but simply passing on any info and help where I can. There's no gain or glory behind what I do, but if my forum 'waffle' assists anyone to enjoy the radio hobby (no matter what field of interest) then all is good.

However, I do really appreciate your words and thank you for posting. CB Signal Reports 1f44d 

All the very best,
Victor

Kenton likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2023 5:45 am

Great input there Jeff. CB Signal Reports 1f44d 

Hope you're keeping well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CB Signal Reports Empty
PostSubject: Re: CB Signal Reports   CB Signal Reports Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CB Signal Reports
Page 1 of 1