Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» New Member (Issued)
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:30 pm by Mr T

» Help needed
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:28 pm by GaryWilson

» New member introduction. (Issued)
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:19 pm by stealth 57

» Request for CT Callsign (Issued)
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 3:11 pm by GaryWilson

» what was your first radio and antenna
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by stealth 57

» Anytone 6667
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:10 am by Razz229

» CB Radio Featured in Film and Tv
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:41 am by Razz229

» South Coast PMR net report
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:14 am by Razz229

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

Keywords
2022 6900 display frequency call Mobile ss9900 ALINCO supply Baofeng meter lincoln Mckinley 2023 anytone sign 9900 list president chart yaesu Sirio power callsign antenna software
QRZ Database

How to read ERP?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
13oots2
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4694, M7EUS
Times Thanked : 14
QTH or Location : Dorchester UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT950, 66FT Endfed Antenna, Various Other Bits and Pieces

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 08, 2023 11:23 pm

I bought an ATU off EvilBay and exchanged a few messages with the seller, who happened to be a full licence holder. Not that I am going to do it, but he said that with a compromised antenna that as a Foundation licence holder could probably run 15W to 20W and still remain within the legal ERP.

My question to the usual suspects (Victor) would be how do you actually measure ERP? I am sure there is a significant amount of maths that could be used to work it out, it just got me curious and would like to add that I have a cat and am not one Shocked

Ain't I just full of questions today.

Edit Just realised he was talking rubbish about the power being ERP for Foundation, most bands are PEP.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 09, 2023 7:32 am

You're correct Mark, there are not many frequency allocations that state maximum erp, most state pep. To calculate your erp you need to take the output of your transmitter, subtract feeder losses, then multiply (or subtract) the gain (or loss) of your antenna antenna.

If you've got 3db (halving your power) feeder losses and your antenna has a 1db loss, then for a max erp of 10W the person you messaged has given good theoretical figures.

Kept it simple for now, but does that help and make sense?

FamousPablo, Victor and 13oots2 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
chazwozza
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : England
Equipment Used : Radios

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2023 8:28 am

Wouldnt worry about erp to much unless using a beam and pointing at houses other than that the power you can use is at antenna point
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2023 9:48 am

SangueG wrote:
You're correct Mark, there are not many frequency allocations that state maximum erp, most state pep. To calculate your erp you need to take the output of your transmitter, subtract feeder losses, then multiply (or subtract) the gain (or loss) of your antenna antenna.

If you've got 3db (halving your power) feeder losses and your antenna has a 1db loss, then for a max erp of 10W the person you messaged has given good theoretical figures.

Aren't your power limits set as "into the antenna", and not ERP though?
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2023 1:52 pm

43CT016 wrote:
SangueG wrote:

Aren't your power limits set as "into the antenna", and not ERP though?

Mostly, yes. But there are a few exceptions if you check the licence terms and conditions.
Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 30, 2023 8:37 am

13oots2 wrote:
I bought an ATU off EvilBay and exchanged a few messages with the seller, who happened to be a full licence holder. Not that I am going to do it, but he said that with a compromised antenna that as a Foundation licence holder could probably run 15W to 20W and still remain within the legal ERP.

My question to the usual suspects (Victor) would be how do you actually measure ERP? I am sure there is a significant amount of maths that could be used to work it out, it just got me curious and would like to add that I have a cat and am not one Shocked

Ain't I just full of questions today.

Edit Just realised he was talking rubbish about the power being ERP for Foundation, most bands are PEP.

RSGB EMF calculater does it all for you.

Stick in your station details and you will also cover yourself for complaince.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How to read ERP? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to read ERP?   How to read ERP? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to read ERP?
Page 1 of 1