Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 11m conditions
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:46 am by SangueG

» HF Contacts 15m
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeToday at 7:42 am by SangueG

» New call sign request
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:41 pm by spod

» Store bought antenna to use with baofeng t1 mini handy
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:28 pm by Razz229

» Antron 99 install loads of noise
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:50 pm by glenn dog

» EU conditions have started
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:48 pm by glenn dog

» Hi new to this group just checkn in...
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:47 pm by John123

» new call sign (Issued)
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:42 pm by John123

» CT call sign request (Information requested)
antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2024 10:40 pm by John123

Keywords
9900 lincoln software ss9900 frequency supply chart ALINCO Mobile power yaesu anytone 2023 Sirio 2022 display antenna 6900 meter Mckinley list sign call president Baofeng callsign
QRZ Database

Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)

Go down 
+4
Sharpshooter
Ivy Mike
Victor
spleencheesemonkey
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
spleencheesemonkey

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Wiltshire
Equipment Used : CRT Micron, CRT space U, Diamond X50, Kenwood DPMR HTs, a few Baofengs, Malchite SDR,, Some old CB HTs

antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2023 7:30 am

Great response, 43CT016. Thank you.
I bought some amalgamating tape some time ago, not 3M but I presume it’ll do the job. Soldering isn’t one of my greatest strengths so the simpler the better for me. Who knows, maybe it’ll all come flooding back to me from my CB days.
I called a number of local antenna guys who pretty much all said (with the exception of 1 very rude guy who won’t be getting my custom) give us a call when you’ve bought all your equipment and we’ll come out and look to give an accurate quote, which makes sense.

Thanks to Mike I’m going to go with his suggestion of the Messi and Paloni Ultraflex 7 coax. I shall probably purchase a couple of their connectors too.

I guess the next thing I need research is a power supply.

Thanks again for your input.
Back to top Go down
43CT016
Major contributor
Major contributor
43CT016

Call Sign : 43-CT-016
Times Thanked : 22
QTH or Location : Perth
Equipment Used : iCom IC-7610/IC-9700/IC-705

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2023 7:48 am

I run the M&P UF7 inside the shack, but run LMR400 (and LDF450) outside as it’s lower loss.  It’s just less flexible and a pain to work with, but probably similarly priced and both are really good mid-range coax.

Just be careful with the M&P connectors, as they are a bit fiddly until you’ve done a few.  Check out the YouTube howtos from the factory, as they give a great demo on how to fit them.

spleencheesemonkey likes this post

Back to top Go down
spleencheesemonkey

Equipment Used : CRT Micron, CRT space U, Diamond X50, Kenwood DPMR HTs, a few Baofengs, Malchite SDR,, Some old CB HTs

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2023 7:53 am

Thanks. I watched their video already. They make it look easy but I’m sure it’ll take me a couple of practice goes.
I think I’m going to run the coax straight from the antenna through the wall to the rig with a downward facing face plate on the interior wall if that makes sense.  I don’t really want to have to do more S0239 connections than I have to, to plug it into the wall. Do you think that’s unwise?

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
spleencheesemonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2024 7:31 pm

Whoop! Thanks to all for your help so far. The M&P UF7 coax, power supply, SWR meter, patch cable, antenna and dual band transceiver have been purchased and delivered. I have a brave man coming tomorrow to erect the antenna on a separate new pole and bracket above the TV aerial. Exciting!!

I’ll have one PL259 to fit on the transceiver end of the coax and then I’m good to give it a test run.

I really hope there’s no interference with the TV! (And fingers crossed my coax length estimation isn’t too short!)

DerekF likes this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

Call Sign : 26-CT-4631....M7OGB
Times Thanked : 5
QTH or Location : Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire
Equipment Used : Icom F25SR, Intaride IR-803, Baofeng UV-5R, Anytone AT-778UV

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2024 11:41 pm

Good luck with your antenna installation tomorrow. Hope it all goes well for you and you are able to give new setup a trial run.

Back to top Go down
spleencheesemonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2024 5:32 pm

Well, I was a little conservative with my coax estimation and it only just reaches where I wanted my radio to be. Schoolboy error as I hadn’t accounted for how high the antenna would be positioned above the gables. Originally I had cocked up the PL259 connector at the transceiver end and was getting an SWR of over 3. Not good. Went and investigated the connection and found a stray bit of inner coax. Refitted it (still yet to solder the centre pin) and I’m getting 1:1.3.

But I’m set up and…. Wow. Just wow. Better than I could have anticipated. Lots of locals to listen to but had a good few  radio checks.  One at 21 miles and one at 50 miles (the latter was on high ground mobile) as the crow flies.

I just want to thank you wonderful people who responded to my post and provided really valuable advice, recommendations and opinions. All gratefully received. I’m most pleased.

Last edited by spleencheesemonkey on Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Victor, Alan Pilot, Ivy Mike and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Nice one, enjoy!

Victor and spleencheesemonkey like this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 10, 2024 11:36 pm

Brilliant news, really pleased to hear that it all worked out for you in the end. Enjoy your new setup.
Can you give a brief summary of what your final setup is? I’m sure others would be interested to hear what you finally decided on.

73 Derek

Victor and spleencheesemonkey like this post

Back to top Go down
spleencheesemonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2024 10:44 am

antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Img_9011
Sure thing.
Messi and Paoloni Ultraflex 7 coax with M&P PL259s. 
Diamond x50 antenna. Photo attached.
CRT Micron transceiver.
Sharman LM-30 power supply.

Victor, SangueG and DerekF like this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2024 11:35 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Antenna installation looks great.
I have the Anytone variation of your CRT, the Anytone AT-778UV, very happy with it.

Back to top Go down
spleencheesemonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 7:06 am

Thanks, DerekF.
I’m mostly pleased with the radio but some people tell me the audio is a little quiet on narrow band setting. I’ve seen a couple of suggestions of drilling out the microphone hole on the front cover of the mic as they can be misaligned. I’ll think on that one.
Numerous 20+ mile contacts made last night so signal wise it’s doing great, and I only come off low power when I have to.
Looking forward to working some repeaters. Fingers crossed for the foundation!

Edit - Foundation exam passed.  Bring it on! bounce

DerekF likes this post

Back to top Go down
DerekF
Senior contributor
Senior contributor

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 4:54 pm

Congratulations on passing your Foundation exam, you’ll be keenly waiting to receive your new M7... callsign.
I’ve seen the microphone hack (fix) on various YouTube videos but so far I’ve resisted modifying mine.
Enjoy the new bands available to you.

73 Derek

Back to top Go down
spleencheesemonkey

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 4:57 pm

Thank you, Derek. I’m tempted to buy an identical microphone to mod so I can sell the original setup as good as new if/when the time comes. We’ll see.
Back to top Go down
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 68
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 10:34 pm

Nicely installed. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, no one should complain, and it should do very well up and out in the open like that.

About the mic, I don't know if the CRT Electro mic is interchangeable with the one on the CRT Micron. It looks like it has the same connector. Someone else here might be able to confirm. Just putting the idea out there as I have had very good audio reports from the Electro, you could maybe try buying one of those mics and trying it to see if it's any louder for you.

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)   antenna - Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mounting an antenna (basic hardware/how to questions)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2