Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» Charlie Tango call sign request
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeToday at 1:27 am by GazM

» new member introdution and call sing request please
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:59 pm by gavin86

» Xiegu X6100
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:58 pm by 26CT1074

» SWR/Reception
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:31 pm by Mitch

» 10/11m Dipole
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:28 pm by Alan Pilot

» Call sign request
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:40 pm by John123

» New call sign
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:37 pm by Ghosthunter

» New call sign request
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:34 pm by John123

» Call Sign Application
Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:23 pm by John123

Keywords
2022 callsign ss9900 Mckinley meter 9900 president display Baofeng sign anytone chart 2023 list yaesu frequency power ALINCO Mobile software 6900 Sirio call lincoln 2024 antenna
QRZ Database

Checking for good DX propagation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SangueG
Major contributor
Major contributor
SangueG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3971 / 2E0LMI
Times Thanked : 72
QTH or Location : Cirencester, Gloucestershire
Equipment Used : Little radios, home-made antennas

Checking for good DX propagation Empty
PostSubject: Checking for good DX propagation   Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 7:23 am

When looking to see if conditions are good to try for some phone (SSB/AM/FM) DX on CB/11m or the 10/12m ham bands, and to see what areas of the world might be workable, do you:

• Listen / look for strong +dB FT8 signals
  • Listen out for 10m beacons
  • Check out propagation prediction sites
  • Check out cluster(s) to see what contacts others have logged
  • Similar to above, check out social media logs to see what online friends have logged
  • Put a call out using a non-phone mode (e.g. FT8, PSK31, CW) and check out where in the world it's reached on a reporting site like PSK Reporter or the Reverse Beacon Network
  • Just go old school... Turn the radio on and have a listen, especially around popular frequencies like 27.555 USB, 27.385 LSB, or 27.025 AM

Am just generally interested. I've used all the above, but I still find the old school method of switching the radio on and checking out the triple 5 to be one of the best ways of finding out if there's any skip running and where from.

If you use any particular sites that really help you, that newer people to DXing could benefit from, or use any other methods, do let know below. Personally I often check out the following sites for conditions and activity:

hf.dxview.org
www.dxmaps.com
sm2.station-master.online - Social media themed logging that shows (if users enable) what frequencies they are operating on
www.propquest.co.uk/map.php - E skip prediction map. It sometimes is correct.. "sometimes".

If anyone uses 10m CW beacons I would be really interested. Been thinking of setting one up, but not been top of my list of things to do as I don't see much chatter about them anywhere nowadays, are they a bit too old school now? Listening to them repeat their their calls over and over have helped me learn to read the code, maybe setting one up will help someone else do the same, but as for a propagation aid... well many times I have heard OY6BEC booming, but not a sausage from Scandinavia on any other mode and no one from there returns my CQ calls, if others listened and heard that beacon surely more people would be putting out calls??

Last edited by SangueG on Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Victor, Ivy Mike and Started 80 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://station-master.online/2E0LMI
Ivy Mike
Major contributor
Major contributor
Ivy Mike

Call Sign : 26CT4113/G1HWY
Times Thanked : 12
QTH or Location : IO90uv
Equipment Used : ICOM radios/antenna farm

PostSubject: Re: Checking for good DX propagation   Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2024 7:53 am

Although I'm not really a phone op, done all that before, I use the following.
https://prop.kc2g.com/
DX clusters
I have Hamclock on a Pi 400 that is connected to dxspider.co.uk.
Hamclock displays spots as paths forĀ  various bands I'm interested in plus it displays
all the space weather stuff
and of course I just listen, can suss out a band in a few seconds just by listening.

Victor and SangueG like this post

Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Contributor
Contributor
VanRougeT4

Call Sign : 14-CT-019 - G1DBS
Times Thanked : 1
QTH or Location : Montreuil sur Mer
Equipment Used : XIEGU G90 - President Lincoln 2 +

PostSubject: Re: Checking for good DX propagation   Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 8:55 am

Hi Neal.

In the 'old days' just RX/TX on the bands was all we could do. Nowadays, with the internet, we have more tools forchecking propagation.

I'm fairly lucky in that there's a websdr website close enough to me to give me a real time indication of conditions before I even turn the radios on!

I tried FT8 purely for checking propagation. But, even with the host of YT vids on the subject, I found it difficult to make sense of the settings for my G90. I got it to work a couple of times, but now I just get sound card errors Sad

Deb

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: Checking for good DX propagation   Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 10:01 am

I started off using the usual online 'tools' but soon realised that they weren't up to scratch.

I've had great DX contacts when propagation conditions were reported as 'poor' and no luck whatsoever when apparently conditions were 'good'. Nowadays I usually just turn on the radio whenever opportunity presents and simply see what I get.

I wonder how many don't bother getting on air if they see an unfavourable report and cuss apparent good conditions because they're not at the radio?

Turn on, tune in and give a CQ whenever you can.

(Although like Mike I'm mostly FT8 active......voice often contains "When are you going to progress up the licence?" or "Are you sure you're only using 10/25 Watts?" let alone audio 'quality' guff or implicit details of the latest expensive radio/mic/linear they've bought. Rolling Eyes )

VanRougeT4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
FreqFreak
Contributor
Contributor
FreqFreak

Times Thanked : 9
QTH or Location : Lingfield
Equipment Used : CRT Yaesu

PostSubject: Re: Checking for good DX propagation   Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2024 12:49 pm

Serious DX intention here SSB phone and not a beam user. I usually go out for my DX and I do a bit from home.

https://www.solarham.com/index.htm

I use that site it has as good as info as there need be. If a flare has just erupted like it just has now chances are it might knock the bands out a bit. If your A and K are on the lower numbers that is usually good. Using SFI, flare checks, check no CME on its way, A and K being low it gives you a reasonable idea that things are good.

Much depends on what our personal goals are. For example... if I spoke to some African countries that's just 3 - 4,000 miles so in terms of distances we can manage not huge. However, new countries are very welcome and you do not always need superb conditions to make them.

A big part of that is there needs to be someone on their radio in that country in the first place.

Some people prefer some bands than others I find each has its own challenges. I do not use multi band antennas. I use a dedicated antenna per band so I am stuck with that band which has pros and cons associated with it. High performance but not much use if no new stations are on that band.

Most of my best contacts have been 3 years either side of the 11 year peaks.

You really cannot predict this stuff. You can make your best guesses though and that is worth doing I think, just. And even on what can be a broadly crummy day if you are calling and or listening at just the right time you can get a 5mins chance opening and bang you are in with the DX and then nothing the rest of the day.

When you think about what needs to align to make just one out of the blue contact it keeps things interesting.

If in doubt get on 20m, that band always amazes (and annoys) me.

VanRougeT4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Checking for good DX propagation   Checking for good DX propagation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Checking for good DX propagation
Page 1 of 1