Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:49 am by SangueG

» Call Sign App.
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:21 pm by John123

» 33cm on 934 MHz anyone ?
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:51 pm by 43CT016

» New Member call sign request. (Issued)
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by The_Theramist

» CT call sign please (Issued)
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:47 pm by Philip J Halton

» New member request from a maritime mobile (Issued)
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:55 pm by GaryWilson

» CT 11m Callsign Request (Issued)
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:51 pm by GaryWilson

» Membership call sign request
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 11:30 pm by John123

» Trying to remember an old mic brand.
Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 7:45 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
9900 software sign Mckinley lincoln callsign Mobile yaesu antenna list meter call chart 2022 anytone frequency 2023 display 6900 Sirio ss9900 president ALINCO 2024 power Baofeng
QRZ Database

Starting from scratch but so what?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Deep dave

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : East Lothian
Equipment Used : None

Starting from scratch but so what? Empty
PostSubject: Starting from scratch but so what?   Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2024 10:26 pm

Hello all,

My location is east lothian. 
Currently researching what's what and fighting the urge to get the first model that takes my interest.

So I'm up to date on what separates c.b. from ham and vhf.

I'd say I'd like to begin from home. I don't drive. But those portable handheld models look sweet too.

A wee bit history: when I was a kid my uncle loaned me his c.b. he attached a long antennae to a drainpipe by climbing out an upstairs window and attaching with duct tape. ( gem of a man)

"Side.side on" was the deal and it was awesome!

Now I'm picking up from where I left off. 

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mitch
Contributor
Contributor
Mitch

Call Sign : M1TCH
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Wigston, Leicestershire.
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-857D, Diamond V2000, Major 3000, President Jackson Mk1 Export, Lafayette AFS-1005, K40 mic, KL203, B550P and Sirio GPE 27 ⅝λ.

Starting from scratch but so what? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting from scratch but so what?   Starting from scratch but so what? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 9:41 am

Do you know if there's anyone using CB near you? Do you have a way to check? You could spend your money for nothing if there's no one nearby. CB isn't as popular as it was decades ago so you might just get static or skip, a lot of places are dead CB wise these days.

Handhelds have a very short range too (line of sight mostly), connected to a base aerial will improve them though. I run homebase myself as I don't have a car either but there's quite a few breakers here in Leicester so there's usually someone to listern to and have a chat with. It might be an idea to go cheap to start with, if there's some local activity then you could spend more for a better setup afterwards.

Do you know anyone with a CB you could ask? Might be worth finding out first. I don't want to put you off but I wouldn't want you to spend your hard earned for nothing Very Happy

The other option is get some friends interested and have your own local group.
Back to top Go down

Starting from scratch but so what?
Page 1 of 1