Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» EU conditions have started
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 11:13 am by babis3g

» Solar power for emergency and portable use, and isolated sites.
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 10:49 am by Alan Pilot

» Tvi filters
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:59 am by Gekboy

» Are you sitting comfortably?
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:28 am by Victor

» Essex Ham Upcoming Courses (Last quarter 2024)
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 6:46 am by Victor

» Martins norfolk NET 27.355 lsb
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:09 am by Victor

» New Call Sign (Issued)
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:58 pm by John123

» Re: [Contact] CT Call Sign 11m (Issued)
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:56 pm by John123

» Multicore co-ax cable use
Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 8:30 pm by SangueG

Keywords
meter 6900 Mckinley president call sign Sirio ALINCO 2024 anytone lincoln yaesu callsign 2011 2023 2022 power chart software ss9900 9900 display frequency antenna list supply
QRZ Database

Are you sitting comfortably?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 374
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

Are you sitting comfortably? Empty
PostSubject: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:05 am

Yep, there's probably some of you old enough to read the title of this posting and in your head will be "Then I'll begin."

(The BBC's "Listen with Mother" and probably the first time you sat intently in front of a radio...that or you'll remember the 'Moody Blues'. Wink )

Sitting comfortably should be amongst our main thoughts when we're going to spend some time in front of our radios.....your backside, back, neck, legs and maybe feet will soon let you know otherwise!

You might operate vehicular mobile in which case you just have to plump with the seat your vehicle came with, or maybe you even move to the backseat for more comfort and room. Perhaps you bring a fold up chair with you and sit outside the vehicle which is especially nice in clement weather but not so otherwise.

If you're operating P.O.T.A. (Parks On The Air) you might find a bench to sit at and thoughtfully brought a towel or some such because the seating is still wet from the morning dew or from the rain the previous night. S.O.T.A. (Summits On The Air) activations may be a case of finding the nearest rock to sit atop or else drop to the floor on that cold ground. (Brrr, makes me shiver just thinking about it and for me at least the floor is a very long way down even sat atop a peak....plus I'd never get back up again! My mobility scooter wouldn't make it either...but at least it has its own seat. Wink )

Perhaps you sit on a bed with your radio gear setup on a bedside cabinet reminiscent of your teenage years with your CB forays. You'd think a bed would be most comfortable but after sitting at that awkward angle, moving the bedside cabinet around and lounging six different ways from Sunday you soon find it isn't as comfortable as first appears!

If you're lucky enough to have a space for yourself and your radios such as a shed/wooden building or maybe even a spare room in the house you'll probably plump for an office type chair.....and if you've been using that old kitchen chair you'll soon wish you had something more 'luxurious'.

I'm lucky to have the space (kids grow up and leave....eventually) plus the full blessing of my wonderful wife to have been allocated the 'spare' bedroom. OK, it's just the typical box room at the front of the house which never has enough storage for all the radio 'junk' you gather but it's my little piece of heaven.

Thoughts soon turn to sitting arrangements and you may go through a few possibilities before you get something....comfortable enough. (Full comfort is never guaranteed and several hours in front of a radio will inform you otherwise.) I finally settled on the typical office style chair but with a few more features such as armrests and extra adjustments.

Are you sitting comfortably? Office10

Looks nice and comfortable doesn't it?

It is on the whole and I can spend maybe just about a whole day sat in it but that might involve a bit of shuffling around now and then. The armrests give me....well, somewhere to rest my arms actually (and stop me falling out Very Happy ) plus the upholstery is comfortable enough to prevent the old numb-bum. You can even fold the seat back to a more lounging position and there'd be more than once or twice my wife has entered the room to find me snoozing in it. Wink

It wasn't the cheapest chair to be had but definitely way cheaper than the radios you'll be sat in front of. Even with that said the gas spring did pack up after less than a year seeing me slowly getting that 'sinking' feeling over the course of the day. The manufacturer held no responsibility either unless I wanted to send the whole thing back....yeah, just send me a new spring won't you!

For the costly sum of £8:99 (cheap enough right?) I ordered a new gas spring from a different supplier but surprisingly that price included next day delivery by a courier so no hanging about chair-less. (Bargain price considering!) Of course the old help video tutorials show that you simply 'tap' out the old spring and simply pop in a new one.....yeah right, took a fair old bashing with the hammer I can tell you! Even then it took bashing the stanchion until it was dented to <expletive removed> so that a pair of mole grips could gain sufficient purchase to pull it out. The wheeled base wasn't the issue, that soon fell out dropping the castor wheels in multiple directions all over the place, it was removing it from the seat that was the problem.

Anyway, after some sweat and tears the new spring simply popped in which was about the only easy part about it. Full adjustment is now regained without wondering why the desk is now closer to my chin than earlier.

So there you go, an important aspect to enjoy our radio activities that we never usually consider until our body lets us know otherwise.

Of course there's some that don't need no chair operating pedestrian mobile with a handheld transceiver. There's the dog walkers with their handy/walkie.... often with QSO's interrupted by shouts to the dog (Benson! Benson! Smile ) and of course you'll occasionally come across someone 'bicycle mobile'......."This, puff, pant, is, pant, pant, Mike, puff, cough, Zero, puff, pant", usually accompanied with the whistle of the wind, whir of the chain and gears changing. You can see their middle aged bodies oozing out of the Lycra right now as well can't you. Wink

Enjoy your radio....and make sure you're sitting comfortably. Are you sitting comfortably? 1f44d 

All the best,
Victor

Please do join in on this posting if you wish and let us know your seating arrangements/solutions.

John123, Alan Pilot, SangueG and VanRougeT4 like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Call Sign : 163-CT-220...
Times Thanked : 70
QTH or Location : Anglesey North Wales
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7610,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:05 am

I gave up changing the spring as you call it the gas shock i call it.
First one lasted the same about a year.
Replacements not long at all.
As i never lower or raise my chair i got a but of tin wrapped it round the shiny bit and put jubilee clips on it job done.
The padded arm's look nice mine has wooden ones and the chair is well was white leather does the job nicely and over the last day has had some use learning to drive the new toy but past my test around 6am today.

VanRougeT4 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:44 am

Hi Alan,

Yes, I did try the old jubilee clip at first but it would move every time I plonked my backside onto the seat eventually getting lower. Plus I like the 'suspension' effect whenever I sit down or move around. Wink

There are stronger metal clips that go around them but the price of a new spring/shock worked out just as cheap.

Glad you're getting on with the new radio, you'll have to let us know how it all goes. Are you sitting comfortably? 1f44d

Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-991A,,Yaesu FTDX-10,,Icom ic-7610,,Anytone AT-D878UV PLUS",,LINCOLN II+.

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:56 am

I have my own built in suspension it comes with me every ware lol.
Did try just the clip's but as you say they slide down but the steel wrapped round stops that now.
Got 3 chairs so i was changing the gas shock often and knocking the hell out of the chairs.

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:05 am

I did find a company that supplies the old fashioned threaded adjustable 'swivel chair' fixings that replaces the gas spring but in the USA. (Expensive postage!) So I think if it ever goes again I'll take a look at those stanchion clamp type fittings as they look up to the job.

I know what you mean though Alan....Got some 'lardy' rear suspension of my own too! Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
Hotel Zulu 253
Contributor
Contributor
Hotel Zulu 253

Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : South Australia
Equipment Used : Galaxy 959, GE 3-5826A, 1/2 wave Station Master

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:46 am

I stand while operating my radio, you can project your voice better when standing, that way I don't need a power microphone and my neighbours can hear my overs clearly when I bellow into the microphone.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:55 pm

Hi Andrew,

Long time no hear and hope you're keeping well. Are you sitting comfortably? 1f44d 

I wasn't sure whether you were joking or being serious until I remembered the Australian sense of humour. Wink Very Happy

(There's enough out there that do bellow into their microphones distorting like hell for some reason though!)

Perhaps the reputation of the Redbacks is why as an Australian you're seemingly cautious about sitting down? Wink

Good to hear from you and all the best,
Victor
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 161
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:19 pm

Hello Victor,

A great read.👍

I always had to stretch my legs when I worked radio from my Inpreza STI as the buckets seats (great for holding you in place when going sideways) always made you go numb in various regions of the anatomy when sitting for long periods. Lol.

My current daily drive's seats are one step off a deck chair, but remarkably comfy to sit in over long periods. It would be nice to sit on a chair outside the motor.... but we get very little clement weather in this region.🤣

I would like a chair like that for my new office, but it looks so comfy, I would probably fall a sleep.😁

73s John.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 4:31 am

Hi John,

Cheers mate. Always good to pop something up of interest and breaks the monotony of the call sign requests. Are you sitting comfortably? 1f44d 

I can imagine that a bucket seat would be great for driving but truly awful to be sat in trying to work some radio DX! At least your other car seats are a bit more comfortable....have you not got some of those nice wooden beads things that used to adorn car seats back in the day. Wink Very Happy

(What were they all about?!?)

Yes, working the 'tops' with the weather on the moors would leave you little choice but to stay in the car wrapped up warm. I've seen some of your winter work pictures and that looks too dang cold for the likes of me. (I catch a chill just going to the refrigerators freezer compartment! )

My new office chair? Definitely too comfortable at times and 'dangerous' to lean back in to as weirdly the clock suddenly jumps forward. Wink

Cheers again John and all the best to you mate.
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:46 am

Your at it again Victor.
Not had a new chair for years and this one has seen better day's lol.
?????????? huuuuuummmmmmm.

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 5:56 am

Don't you be blaming me for your filthy spending habits there Alan mate. Wink Very Happy

Ha! Ha! It's amazing what we can plonk money into but something comfortable we can plonk our backsides on is a must really. Are you sitting comfortably? 1f44d 

(Bung me a PM if you want to know where I got this particular chair from so that I'm not "advertising" them on the forum.)
Back to top Go down
Alan Pilot
Major contributor
Major contributor
Alan Pilot

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 7:06 am

My son has that same chair i will convince him it't time he had a new one.
Or better still tell Linda he could do with a new chair she will buy him one for christmas lol.
Win win.
Back to top Go down
VanRougeT4
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
VanRougeT4

Call Sign : G1DBS - F4WEY
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Montreuil sur Mer
Equipment Used : XIEGU G90 + XIEGU XPA125B amp.

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 8:07 am

I have an ordinary office style swivel chair! Having ample natural posterior padding, I rarely suffer from a numb bum.

I do like the look of that chair though, Victor Smile

New rig - new chair - what's next?

Deb

Victor likes this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitimeToday at 9:28 am

Hiya Deb,

Alan and I were just on about ample 'natural' padding earlier in the posting being gentlemen of a certain age and physique. Wink Very Happy

It is a nice chair though Deb but I've had it for almost a year hence why miffed at the gas spring going. All sorted now though and enjoying sat in front of the new radio. (Loving it!)

Still running through my homebrew 9:1 un-un though and that bit of washing line strung down the garden....I don't spend where I don't need to. Are you sitting comfortably? 1f44d 

Victor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you sitting comfortably?   Are you sitting comfortably? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you sitting comfortably?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum :: Help and Discussion Forums :: Additional Equipment-
Jump to: