Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 11:23 pm by Mr T

» gre 225 radio scanner
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:10 pm by rabbi

» crt ss 9900
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:21 pm by John123

» Διακριτικό κλήσεις ct (Issued)
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:38 pm by Vasilis

» CT call sign (Issued)
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:25 am by Mike90

» Alinco DX-10 DAT file
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 9:30 pm by Alberto Rugarli

president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 pm by stealth 57

» 10m DXCC Summer Challenge contacts 2024
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm by VanRougeT4

» Probably only ever buy 1/2 waves for 10m and 11m
president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm by FreqFreak

Keywords
yaesu call 2023 2022 ALINCO 9900 Sirio anytone president Mobile Baofeng chart meter software lincoln list frequency Mckinley sign 6900 antenna supply power callsign display ss9900
QRZ Database

President McKinley EU

Go down 
+7
cube
The Doctor
SUPERSTARS
Sgt Bilko
erik
John123
Delboy
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Delboy
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Delboy

Times Thanked : 5

president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Any chance of a link to the service manual?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SUPERSTARS

Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : southend on sea
Equipment Used : president Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 9:53 am

https://simonthewizard.files.wordpress.com/2019/12/service-manuals_service-manual-mc-kinley-eu-gd-13-06-2019.pdf

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
Delboy
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Delboy

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 am

Cheers, that's the same one as I've already got, thought you may have found a new version.
Back to top Go down
The Doctor
Contributor
Contributor
The Doctor

Times Thanked : 4
QTH or Location : Hertfordshire
Equipment Used : Uniden

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2020 10:40 pm

I'm going to treat myself to one of these, it looks good.

glenn dog likes this post

Back to top Go down
cube

Call Sign : 26-CT-4499
QTH or Location : Oxford
Equipment Used : President McKinley EU

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 pm

Just picking up on this thread, I bought a B grade stock President McKinley EU from Nevada recently, was a bit cheaper.  I was doing some testing with my recently realigned old (and slightly rusty :-) Fidelity 2001 and the Fidelity out performed the McKinley.  I was quite surprised. I was talking to a few people on UK/FM channel and switched between the Fidelity and the President, one of people could just hear me when I was on the Fidelity but not when on the President, another person who could hear both said the signal from the Fidelity was better.  The Fidelity is apparently doing about 3.5W according to the fella who serviced it.  I read on here - https://radioaficion.com/news/president-mckinley-eu-expanded/ - a reference to the poor state of tune of the McKinley from the factory.

There wasn't much in it on receive between the two but the Fidelity was at least as good, also surprising.

So the question is, would my new McKinley benefit from realignment?  Anyone else done similar testing?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Delboy
Senior contributor
Senior contributor
Delboy

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 5:32 am

The McKinley should perform as well, if not better, than the Fidelity. The only thing I can think of is if you were using the standard microphones the McKinley would likely sound quieter as modern radios have much tighter specifications on the FM deviation.

glenn dog, Victor and Tristar like this post

Back to top Go down
Victor
CT Directors
CT Directors
Victor

Call Sign : 26-CT-3228 / M7VIC
Times Thanked : 352
QTH or Location : Bedford
Equipment Used : Various

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2020 7:12 am

I'd have to agree with Delboy on this one, especially the point about FM deviation as it comes up again and again.

I've yet to see any older UK 27/81 FM rig have it's FM deviation 'realigned' to specification, it's usually just cranked wide open. The same complaints happened back in the old days with people complaining about 'quiet' FM on the old multimode sidebanders.

The article you referenced does indeed mention 'poor state of tuning' from the President factory but doesn't go on to state where or how so I doubt it.

Although, there is a lot of talk of "modern Chinese rubbish" nowadays (????) but people forget we have relied on cheap Chinese labour for a number of decades. Most consumer electronic goods have been labelled with 'Korea/Thailand/Taiwan/ROC (Republic Of China)' for many decades now. So much so that even back in the 1970s/80s it wasn't unusual to have a 'made in Japan' label attached but the item never saw the shores of Japan whatsoever! It was pretty much all Chinese owned factories back then too and people moaning about 'Chinese rubbish' so clever/false ways were used to disguise this fact in an effort to sell more goods.

You'll probably have a 'made in Japan' label on the back of your Fidelity right? Wink

I'm pretty sure China is the only country to have successfully landed a probe on the far side of the moon....so no doubting their expertise.

I know, it all sounds pedantic and argumentative but I'm actually trying to help out here. 

The President McKinley is a very fine rig and I'd rather trust the organised, structured and fully equipped 'factory tuning' than some 'experts' realignment 'twiddle-twiddle'. As Delboy mentions you're probably using the standard mic and many have 'cured' their UK FM woes by changing mics or altering the rigs mic settings.

It's all a bit of an apples vs oranges debate with such 'testing', but you could also easily argue a full fruit bowl vs an empty one.......

"The President McKinley's SSB modes are exceptional with outstanding audio quality, whereas the Fidelity 2001 sideba......Oh..."

Indeed, use what makes you happy. The Fidelity for UK FM 19 chats and the McKinley for SSB/AM DXing Smile

....or change the mic Wink

Tristar likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/M7VIC
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
cube

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, had a busy week or so and not managed to get back.  I don't know enough / fully understand deviation/ FM modulation so have some reading to do.  (I did manage to talk to someone in Germany on the McKinley when then was some skip going on a couple of weeks back. I'm only just getting back into CB and never had any of that back in the day so it's got me all enthusiastic  Smile)
Back to top Go down
glenn dog
Major contributor
Major contributor
glenn dog

Call Sign : 56-CT-004
Times Thanked : 11
QTH or Location : Oulu -Finland
Equipment Used : ft-450d-mc kinley - cobra 19dxeu- lincoln+2 - superstar lord - grant 2 - tti hand held- alan42- crt mike cb - zodiac 68 hunting radio hand held- and few PMR 2

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2020 4:56 am

I have had a MK Kinley for a few months now, all basic and no extra power,  SSB and LSB working very well for DX and local, AM is used here a great deal, so i have not had 1 contact on FM so can not say if the FM signal is good or bad.
Back to top Go down
Northern Crusader
Major contributor
Major contributor

Call Sign : M0GVZ / 26CT1760
Times Thanked : 35
QTH or Location : IO94SA
Equipment Used : Icom 7300, TS480, President McKinley, Albrecht AE6110, CRT Mike

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2020 3:31 pm

cube wrote:
Thanks for the replies folks, had a busy week or so and not managed to get back.  I don't know enough / fully understand deviation/ FM modulation so have some reading to do.  (I did manage to talk to someone in Germany on the McKinley when then was some skip going on a couple of weeks back. I'm only just getting back into CB and never had any of that back in the day so it's got me all enthusiastic  Smile)

So basically....

UK standard on UK 40 is 2.5kHz, EU standard is 2kHz. Manufacturers set to 1.8kHz to ensure EU compliance. As a result they sound quieter compared to old UK 40 FM sets.

When you're listening on a receiver with a wider FM deviation to one with a narrower one the narrower one will sound quieter and vice versa. Someone listening on a UK CB with a 2.5kHz deviation will hear those at 1.8kHz as quieter than those using 2.5kHz or higher. Signal strengths will be the same but the audio will be quieter.  Someone listening on a UK CB with 2.5kHz deviation to someone transmitting with 5kHz deviation will have to turn the volume right down so they're not deafened.

When CBs had their mic gain tweaked it wasn't the mic gain being tweaked but the FM deviation being increased.

Sydthecat, glenn dog and cube like this post

Back to top Go down
cube

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2020 3:39 pm

Btw thanks for that Northern Crusader
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: President McKinley EU   president - President McKinley EU - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

President McKinley EU
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2