Charlie Tango 11m DX Radio Group Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the Charlie Tango DX Group. The home of ALL things Radio - CB, 11m DX, Amateur, PMR446, PLD, Network and Data. We welcome all radio enthusiasts of all knowledge levels. Join today and claim your own unique World Famous CT Call-sign

HomeEventsCalendarFAQLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Join in with the fun of the Charlie Tango DX Group Summer 10m Challenge - from April 1st 2024
Navigation
Useful Radio Sites
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
CT Bill Board

Views This Year
All Time Views
Classified Adverts

Latest topics
» what radio do you wish you never sold
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:04 pm by tspirawk@gmail.com

» First dx in 40 plus years
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:01 pm by Nightprowler

» Antenna Required.
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 5:20 pm by Victor

» 10m dxcc ......
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:58 pm by SangueG

» Antenna Advice.....?
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:49 pm by SangueG

» Multimode mobile antenna
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 am by peewee norfolk

» New member call sign request (Issued)
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 5:03 am by Victor

» New call sign request (Issued)
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:19 pm by John123

» Call Sign Request (Issued)
Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm by Jimnic333

Keywords
Sirio Mobile 6900 display software Baofeng 2022 meter anytone call ss9900 frequency yaesu ALINCO power lincoln list supply 9900 sign president antenna chart Mckinley callsign 2023
QRZ Database

Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tonyblews
tonyblews

Call Sign : 26-CT-3548
Times Thanked : 0
QTH or Location : Stafford
Equipment Used : CRT ONE N, PMR, SDR, Baofeng UV-5R

Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Empty
PostSubject: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 2:47 am

Hi, new member alert.

Male, late 40s, living in Staffordshire. Not really played with radios outside of work since about 1990, but I decided to fit the 4x4 with a CRT One N and PMR, and play about with SDR scanning at home (and on my mobile phone).

Used to have a Uniden 1000 back in the old days, mated to some unholy crossbreed of a thunderpole top end mated to a groundplane made of scaffold poles.

Used to track UoSAT and NOAA when I was at college, and spend many hours standing on the college roof looking like I was holding a launcher.

Part of my job now is to maintain the radio sets for a taxi company, which basically involves shouting at idiots that decide to trim their antenna down to stop them clonking on car park barriers.

I am also becoming alergic to Autocab Omicron MDT systems.

Other interests: Old VAX/VMS & Ultrix computer systems and DecNET, repurposing old computer kit, Linux, real ales tobacco.  

A CT callsign would be nice, when you can get around to it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.tonyblews.co.uk/
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

Call Sign : 26-CT-1836 Ham 2E0GGQ
Times Thanked : 344
QTH or Location : Redcar, North Yorkshire.
Equipment Used : Radios & Wires & Stuff!

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 7:36 am

Hello Tony, welcome to the forum.

Nice intro buddy I can't imagine there's many Taxi firms still using radios for much other than back up to network based dispatch now? Certainly not in London where I live and Uber reigns supreme!
You're probably going to get a load of PM's now requesting you to fit new output transistors to C.B's!  lol!    

I am delighted to allocate you 26-CT-3548 may you have good luck with it.

73's Gary.

C.T. Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.qrz.com/db/2E0GGQ
StevieG
Major contributor
Major contributor
StevieG

Call Sign : 26-CT-3239 , Jolly Roger 272, 26-TG-987 , 26-RB-060 , 26-CO-3239
Times Thanked : 120
QTH or Location : SW London
Equipment Used : Icom IC 7610, Stryker sr955hpc, Colt Excalibur SSB, President GrantII JacksonII McKinley EU, CRTSS6900N,CRTSS9900, KPO DX5000 Plus, Cobra 148 GTL-DX MK2, Cobra 2000 GTL, Zetagi B550p, Bremi BRL200, RM KL200P, KL203P, KL703, Sirio 4000, Sirio 3000 Bull, Stryker SR-A10, Antron99 Fire up , Hawkins Thunderbolt SSD58+ , Sirio 827, Heil pro micro headset, KPO NM532-KPO NM452- Astatic 575M6 Astatic D104 Silver Eagle, Delta M2 , UR6QW 8 Band eq, Uniden and AOR scanner

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 9:59 am

Hi Tony, welcome to the CTDX group
73s
Steve.
Back to top Go down
John123
CT Directors
CT Directors
John123

Call Sign : 26CT763
Times Thanked : 145
QTH or Location : Manchester
Equipment Used : Optima, Superstar 360fm, Stalker 9fdx, President Jack

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello and welcome, Tony.

73s John.
Back to top Go down
tonyblews
tonyblews

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi, thanks for the callsign and the welcome.

Just a bit more on the Taxi Radios (if you even slightly interested)...
Back in the before time (about 9 years ago) we had a mast on top of the tallest building around (16 floors, in a flat area) and all was well. Then the rent for it shut up alarmingly and we lost the site, falling back on an antenna on the roof of a 3 floor block in the town centre. This is rubbish.
At the same time we went to computer dispatch, using GPRS on BT sims. Which made things better. But those in charge are mistrustful of mobile phone networks, so that is used as a backup. The main comms go out through a modem and a Tait 9110. Each car carries the same, with a Windoiw CE terminal (with a sim card in it too!). So we are using stuff that Marconi would be ashamed of as the primary, with the sim system as a backup. I have been quietly trying to kill it off for years, to no avail.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:30 am

You're very welcome Tony.

So in the old days down here in London all the firms used radios with masts on the cab office roofs. I remember Dulwich cars in SE London where I am had 400 cars and enough money to have a ISDN link the the T.V. tower at Crystal Palace. They could talk to drivers at Heathrow airport 25 miles away like they were parked on the base!!!!

I've seen just about every dispatch system and software that's come along throughout the evolution of the technology. Data terminals and the like are pretty old hat now. We use Infocabs on Samsung galaxy mobiles which gets the job done but after only a few years it's now lagging behind the trends.

The most common thing now is that you have a downloadable app for drivers and they install it on their own device and away they go, no messing around with Radio/PDA deposits or broken device arguments about who's fault it was or worst still disappearing all together with your kit!!!

Despite the efficiency of modern technologies you can't beat the good old days of a fleet of cabs being controlled by radio on a Friday and Saturday night it's a thing of beauty to behold. We had a controller Dave Harwood sadly passed away now who could control 100 cars and 1000 jobs on Friday night without showing the slightest sign of panic!!! Very Happy

Anyway Tony I better get some call signs done before I head on out to work. Have a great day buddy.

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
tonyblews
tonyblews

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 12:39 am

I would love to see us take the apps on board, but I have reservations about their use (on the booking side). I suppose they are fine with 50+ cars, but when we operate anywhere between 2 and 17, then there are problems. Another local firm went to iCabby, and got screwed withing 4 hours as it massively overbooked them.
Dispatch-wise, I see no problems.

I was the Saturday night op before this current situation dropped on us. Just using the system for stuffing out jobs and doing the rest ourselves, my assistant and I shifted 600 jobs in 12 hours with 15 cars. Look at the size of Stafford, and you'll see how this is possible. Tiny place.

Any delays in my replies come down to two things....
1) the mailer sends out duff notification links.
2) my internet connection is very sporadic. I've written a logging system to track when it goes up and down, and I'm correlating this with other factors. At the moment it looks like it goes tits up whenever the guy next door takes his car on/off the driveway.

Anyway, chin chin, back to fettling the magmount on the Freelander to find out why it is crap.
Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi Tony,

Yes it's difficult that number of about 20 cars is a nightmare. Too big to not have work too small to cope with the demand surges.

Six hundred jobs with fifteen cars that's a cracking result! Good to know those lads are kept busy. London is gridlocked so a two mile school run can take half an hour to knock out!

I know the new site is still very much a work in progress we only migrated to here last year after a less than pleasing experience with Tapatalk. Yes the internet it would be great if it was reliable!! Very Happy

All the best 73's Gary.

Back to top Go down
Templar
Contributor
Contributor
Templar

Call Sign : 26-CT-3550 Ham:- M7DEW
Times Thanked : 3
QTH or Location : Huddersfield West Yorkshire. UK
Equipment Used : Yaesu FT-450D. CRT SS 6900n. CRT Micron

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi Tony.
Welcome to the forum /group cheers

Cheers
Stay safe
73's
Dale
26-CT-3550
Back to top Go down
tonyblews
tonyblews

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2020 10:32 pm

The emailer is sending out links like https://charlietango.co.uk/t1295-introduction-and-call-sign-request-issued#8570 which my browser can't resolve.

I think if you replace it to say something like https://charlietangodxgroup.forumotion.com/t1295-introduction-and-call-sign-request-issued#8570 instead it will work

the site isn't re-writing the url correctly when it tries to find the page. it'll be in the settings somewhere..

personally, i've never bothered playing with things like forumotion and tapatalk, as I always found it easier to just set up the software and control it myself. i was a fan of punbb then fluxbb.

anyway, i've not been posting anywhere else on the site as I have terrible internet problems and only had my password saved on the one machine that can't do wifi and connect through my mobile phone. this is now fixed.

Back to top Go down
GaryWilson
CT Directors
CT Directors
GaryWilson

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 5:35 am

Morning Tony, thanks for the heads up. We'll have a look at this. Very Happy

73's Gary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)   Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction and Call Sign request (Issued)
Page 1 of 1